• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which one - ‘05 or ‘06?

B

Beavis

Dec 16, 2007
Utah
Which one - ‘05 or ‘06?

A buddy of mine just inherited two 900 RMK’s through a trade. He’s trying to decide which one to keep.

The ‘05 has 3,400 miles but has the good stuff done to it (SLP pipe, airbox, front cooler delete, better boards, Powder Pro ski’s, clutching, etc). It was said that it had a new top end at some point but no way to validate that from the actual previous owner.

The ‘06 has 1,500 miles but is all stock except for a can. It’s got broken tabs on the side panels and someone removed the sway bar.

My buddy wants to ride a few times a year and is NOT a mechanic. He wants to keep one but trade for something smaller for his wife/son for the other one.

I rode both sleds briefly for a few miles. The ‘06 dives in the powder and is harder to ride without the sway bar and needs clutching changes to hold RPM’s. The ‘05 is way snappier and felt much lighter in the front. Both start after 3-4 pulls when cold.

Considering the history of the two model years - which one should he keep?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Sounds like the 05 has been more setup... setup on a 900 can make or break the sled. I've I've still got my 05 and it's approaching 7,000 miles on it. Assuming the 05 has all the 06 updates done to it, I'd stick with the 05. That being said however, it's widely accepted that in stock form, the 06 is generally a more reliable machine due to the many updates it received from the factory after the 05s were released. Resale on either sled is going to be pretty dang low due to both their age and reputation, but the 06 will fetch a little bit more with it's updates and lower miles.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Sounds Like I would Keep the 05

Sounds Like I would Keep the 05 - Resale value is nill between them if cosmetics are the same.
Sounds like the 05 is gas and go.

Premium Features