• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris axys vs. skidoo 850 backcountry sleds

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
Not the same spindles, that small change in geometry plays a huge role in handling on the hills!
If ur gonna post pics with comments, u should probably look carefully at the pics first!

GS6

Not trying to make any enemys here, just was trying to fond a difference. To me they look pretty much identical and had no idea that spindle height/a angle difference had alot to do with handling in the hills.. But honestly, Doos summit and freeride spindles are pretty tall and laid back, so in that aspect the RMK and Doos are essentially the same. I dont think anyone can argue that a difference of an inch or less and a few degrees would warrant being called a "bandaided" trail sled. Also Sheetmetalfab, thanks for clearing the steering post up. But isnt Doos post pretty much vertical? Not so much as the RMk of course because the tie-rod included, but you know what i mean

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So tell me. Is the rush a mountain specific sled now? Blows your argument away pretty quickly.

View attachment 270302

A question I have. Who decided that a vertical post means it's a mountain specific chassis?

The pro ride-rush/sba was a separate upper steering post but still laid back like the axys rush.
The axys rush is angled more like the doo. (Better while sitting with the bar dip when turned) The pro ride-rush was less so but not as close to vertical as the pro ride rmk. (Same situation with different posts, overstructures front and rear.
There is a reason trail guys prefer the newer axys trail sled with its further angled back post than the pro ride-rush.

2.5 manufacturers put forth the effort to build different chassis geometry for trail vs mtn.
Skidoo does not. (Teemo and flexedge are NOT chassis geometry)

The angled post makes one bar end go high and the other low when countersteering in a sidehill. Anybody can do it but this forces your body to hunch over and out of position to react to changing terrain and snow conditions. This is the cause of the sled trying to turn uphill whenever traction increases. The time i have spent on a horizontal steering post (quite a bit) brings this clear.

The skidoo g4 post is about a 50 degree angle vs the axys rmk/ pro rmk is 85 degrees. Total bar drop (highest to lowest) on the axys is 2" compared to 9-10" on the g4. (Yep i sat on one)

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
The pro ride-rush/sba was a separate upper steering post but still laid back like the axys rush.
The axys rush is angled more like the doo. (Better while sitting with the bar dip when turned) The pro ride-rush was less so but not as close to vertical as the pro ride rmk. (Same situation with different posts, overstructures front and rear.
There is a reason trail guys prefer the newer axys trail sled with its further angled back post than the pro ride-rush.

2.5 manufacturers put forth the effort to build different chassis geometry for trail vs mtn.
Skidoo does not. (Teemo and flexedge are NOT chassis geometry)

The angled post makes one bar end go high and the other low when countersteering in a sidehill. Anybody can do it but this forces your body to hunch over and out of position to react to changing terrain and snow conditions. This is the cause of the sled trying to turn uphill whenever traction increases. The time i have spent on a horizontal steering post (quite a bit) brings this clear.

The skidoo g4 post is about a 50 degree angle vs the axys rmk/ pro rmk is 85 degrees. Total bar drop (highest to lowest) on the axys is 2" compared to 9-10" on the g4. (Yep i sat on one)

Ever rode an apex? Or an XP? Those things bars really come at ya when you turn. I dont really notice the bar drop on my XM, maybe Im used to it by now? I feel that keeping the bars more straight would take away leverage?

R
Feb 29, 2016
Ever rode an apex? Or an XP? Those things bars really come at ya when you turn. I dont really notice the bar drop on my XM, maybe Im used to it by now? I feel that keeping the bars more straight would take away leverage?

On a better balanced sled like the
Axys, leverage on the bars isn't really an issue. Handlebars are just for balance, using leg pressure and the throttle is all you really need...

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
On a better balanced sled like the
Axys, leverage on the bars isn't really an issue. Handlebars are just for balance, using leg pressure and the throttle is all you really need...

And that right there is the biggest thing The Doo fanatics don't get. The narrower better balanced Pro and Axys don't need to be reefer on , the G4 seems like someone at skidoo was paying attention.

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
And that right there is the biggest thing The Doo fanatics don't get. The narrower better balanced Pro and Axys don't need to be reefer on , the G4 seems like someone at skidoo was paying attention.

Pretty hard to call the axys narrow when it has the widest front end of any of the manufacturers now....

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Pretty hard to call the axys narrow when it has the widest front end of any of the manufacturers now....

Take a look at the Pro/Axys beside a XM looking at them head on, , then do the same with a Pro/Axys beside a G4, Pretty easy to see, that's why I believe Doo will gain some loyal Polaris riders , if it has a good solid year in 2017.
And , by extension, if the Doo faithful really do hate the characteristics of the Pro/Axys because of the higher Center of gravity and narrow panel sides, they shouldn't really be immediately comfortable on a G4. Exception are the guys who are decal dumb or sticker stupid, they just drink the juice and line up for shearing.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
To tell the truth... I hope that the G4 will up the ante and be so good that it will have people changing brands!! Thats good for us as consumers.

Right?

That would be great!
However if it handles less precise than the axys.....and...
Pushing the ability of my current sled is what i love.....
A step back in the handling department would be the exact opposite of what i want.

I'll definitely try one....

All the reviews i've heard and read say the spread is closer, but not even as good as a pro.....
Unless you ride meadows then you might never know if a poo or a doo does better in the steep.
The axys is so much better than the pro i am hesitant to drop cash on the first year doo. (Remember 08?)
Prototypes ran good production sleds were belt eating crank throwers.....

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
That would be great!
However if it handles less precise than the axys.....and...
Pushing the ability of my current sled is what i love.....
A step back in the handling department would be the exact opposite of what i want.

I'll definitely try one....

All the reviews i've heard and read say the spread is closer, but not even as good as a pro.....
Unless you ride meadows then you might never know if a poo or a doo does better in the steep.
The axys is so much better than the pro i am hesitant to drop cash on the first year doo. (Remember 08?)
Prototypes ran good production sleds were belt eating crank throwers.....
4 year warranty though.. Not sure what they had in 08

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Warrenty is good. :)

My buddy couldnt get it to cover the 15 belts he had to buy..... :)

I dont think the g4 will need belts though......

Last edited:
B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
Yep.

And brake/chaincase.....

The wider ski stance makes it hold a steeper sidehill.

Yup totally agree on the tall stance, and narrow tunnel and seat.
Those are the reasons I switched.

And I hear you on the wide stance not paneling out as soon,,,,,but you can't tell me the benefits of a narrow stance don't outweigh that.

There is a reason Burandt switches his out and is busy selling narrow arms on his site. Im not buying that it is just to fit through trees better. Especially when it is a change that is at the expense of paneling. The benefit is nimbleness, which is something Doo has had figured out for a while. Their main disadvantage has been the low, wide chassis, which it seems the G4 has somewhat addressed.

Time for Polaris to narrow up the stance and leave the assault for those that prefer stability.

Premium Features