• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low Idle

sledsnowco

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2009
colorado
My 16 axys is idling around 1400 and sometimes is hard to start after ripping around. I'm out of break in with 150 miles and 9 hrs on it. The tps has been checked and is spot on. Any other ideas?

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Mine idles low also. Sometimes dies. At 3.9 hours. 83 miles. Love the sled but is a little annoying. Still on break in tank so not worried till I get less oil

C
Dec 24, 2014
You are not really out of the break in cycle. I think there is additional oiling until 18 hours of use. First thing I would check is plugs. My buddies '15 Doo fouled plugs, out of break in, today with 300 miles on it. Be very happy ours are MUCH easier to change.

Next, when you say the TPS is spot on, who checked it using what equipment? If it was the dealer using their "digital wrench" tool, that could EASILY still be the problem. I had mine to three dealers, 15 visits to get it set right. I fought low idle for months. I know it was checked/adjusted at least 4 times before someone got it right. Completely cured the problem. I do not think their factory tool is accurate enough to do the job.

Good Luck

F

fitler

May 14, 2009
Mine has low idle too. It rips when running though. I'm at about 10 hrs. Got to give it some throttle for it to idle when starting. I will bring it in when I gave time.

sledsnowco

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2009
colorado
My throttle cable is perfect and it was the dealer who looked at the tps. I put another 50 miles on today and it is still low idle. This sled rips, I will change plugs tonight and see if that's it.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Mine is pretty low too. At home in Wisconsin at 900 feet it idled great between 1700-1800. On my way back from the snowy mountain range between 9000-11000 feet it did not like to idle. There were times after pulling the rope it wasn't idling high enough to turn the gauge/lights on right away. It idled 1400-1550 consistently. I changed plugs on day 2 without any change.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Is the idle low all of the time, or only after the belt gets hot? If it is only after the belt gets hot, it could be that the belt clearance on the primary is too tight and causing the clutch to not completely disengage and pulling the rpm down at idle. It will also make it harder to start. The sled will creep on the hardback at idle if this is the problem.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Is the idle low all of the time, or only after the belt gets hot? If it is only after the belt gets hot, it could be that the belt clearance on the primary is too tight and causing the clutch to not completely disengage and pulling the rpm down at idle. It will also make it harder to start. The sled will creep on the hardback at idle if this is the problem.

Cold start up was the same thing. My 15 rmk le idle was all over the place at altitude but ran fine in the UP of Michigan at ~1500 ft. Really wish there wasn't an 18 hour break in map to rule that out.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
I noticed similar things on mine. But a quick burp of the throttle cleaned it right up. Sometimes my doo does the same thing.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Once you are through the tank of pre-mix and the ~2.5 hour break in, you should not have low idle. Mine is around 12 hrs/120 miles now, it flat rips and starts and idles perfectly every time. I ride 10-12,000 ft, idles the same at home (7500 ft) as it does on the mountain.

It still does seem a little fat when you are riding slowly, trying to avoid early season debris but I haven't had any idle issues even when it was in the early break in.

C
Dec 24, 2014
May take a trip to the dealer. They set them to factory specs. My dealer is really good about making sure my sled is taken care of under warranty.

I did just that, 15 times last season... If it doesn't come back right I would suggest to them to ditch the digital wrench and use a quality volt ohm meter to make the settings. I also understand that it is a multi step process to go through the adjustment. Putting the DW on it just to attempt to verify correct adjustment probably isn't going to work.

Good Luck to those of you with the issue, I feel your pain...

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I did just that, 15 times last season... If it doesn't come back right I would suggest to them to ditch the digital wrench and use a quality volt ohm meter to make the settings. I also understand that it is a multi step process to go through the adjustment. Putting the DW on it just to attempt to verify correct adjustment probably isn't going to work.

Good Luck to those of you with the issue, I feel your pain...

My dealer didn't want to ditch the digital wrench so I told them to check TPS, set TPS and then recheck, and then recheck again.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
What dealer did you drop it off at...cause I'm fighting low idle on mine as well? If they figure it out please let us know...

Thanks!

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
The full TPS adjustment needs to be done. That involves disconnecting the throttle cable and backing the idle screw off to check base setting. Base setting is the critical adjustment. The digital wrench has a "high resolution" setting, or whatever its called, that needs to be used.

Premium Features