• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cold Start Issues??

PowderStew

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Smithers BC
I mentioned this as part of another thread but thought I would ask the question in a new one.

The other night my sled (12 800) sat outside in -10C (14F). The next morning I pulled it over slowly a few times then tried to pull over normally. It would not fire no way. After many pulls, I thought it may have flooded. I pulled a plug and it was bone dry. Checked spark and it was good. Shot a couple of cc's of gas into the cylinder with a syringe, put the plug back in and she fired right away.

I have fired it up a couple times since after sitting at 0c an -2 c and it fires up fine.

At -10 C it is hard to pull it over quickly, I wonder if this impacts the injectors ability to function.

It seemed like the injectors just were not shooting any gas into the engine.

Anyone else have this issue, or have any thoughts?

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Ya I've really noticed the proclimb is retarded to pull over when cold compared to M. Also the way the rope is routed is terrible an makes this worse (went though 3 stock ones, till I got a 4Z rope) Mines turboed so it's different, but I know for sure for the higher flow fuel pump I have to be able to turn that baby over at like 3000 rpm to make enough voltage for the pump. Not sure what a stocker makes for voltage when pulling over an what the stock pump needs.

Mountain Slayer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Maddock, ND
I also have mine turboed and it is horrible to start the first time each day, especially when it is colder out. I don't recall for sure but I am thinking it wasn't that bad when it was stock. Is there anything that anyone has found to help out?

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
If it's real cold like -20c or more I have to hook a battery up to fuel pump an pull it over a couple times an fires up. The extra gauges an all that too on turbo take more power. Unplug hood an warmers off helps.

P

Pol72

Dec 24, 2011
Saskatoon Sask Canada
-25 deg celcius out and my 14 proclimb with electric start wouldn't go. Hit the key and all you could hear was the starter turning and not engaging. So pulled the rope 8 or 10 times fired then stalled then finally fired and stayed running. Lol

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
Sounds like something froze up in the fuel system. They were able to get it running with just deicer... no codes or other issues.
i have been buying what i thought was good fuel for the last few years from the same spot and adding startron additive each full.
so.... keeping some deicer on hand now too. Just very odd and fristrating that a snowmobile will freeze up...

Premium Features