• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker Intercooled Install Report

S
Dec 20, 2007
Hey guys,
Just a quick post to say thanks to Justin Barnes / Code Red, for the great customer service in helping me on my Pro turbo install.

First off, I ordered two intercooled Boondocker kits for the 2012 Pro. Fit and finish was great and all the componentes were high quality. Nothing in the kit was poorly designed.
The instructions were lacking detail especially when it came to the wiring harness diagrams. Having said that a quick text to Barnes and the problem was solved. It took me all day to install the kit but the second one will be a breeze.
Id recommend pulling the steering stem mounts, fuel tank, seat and all the panneling right to start with. You need to access the throttle bodies from the rear of the sled.
The intercooler is tight but with some patients it fits in nicely. The turbo and exhaust sections went together like clock work. Very clean and easy to install.
Take some time when routing the electrical.
In a nut shelll i highly reccomend this kit to anybody that is seriously thinking about it. There are many upgrades to the kit that makes it a pull and go turn key ride.
I love the EBC and TPS automatic options. For those that dont know it allows you to keep your boost spot on at any altitude. The TPS allows you to control the boost based on the throttle position. No more all or nothing when the turbo spools up.
Ive included a few pics and will be glad to answer and questions guys may have.

Again thanks Justin. (Code Red) And Boondockers.

IMG_0014[1].jpg IMG_0018[1].jpg IMG_0027[1].jpg IMG_0025[1].jpg IMG_0028[1].jpg IMG_0026[1].jpg IMG_0024[1].jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The word is that Justin has fantastic service before, during, and after the sale.

Post more pictures and a ride report as this build evolves.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I just finished upgrading my '11 with the intercooler as well. Just something I noticed on your pics. The starter rope is right on the boost actuator with the way B D has it mounted now. Not sure if you've ever watched the rope vibrate when the sled runs, but I didn't like how it sat on the injector wiring plug on the actuator, and routed mine back behind a hose to keep it off. Just a suggestion.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I just finished upgrading my '11 with the intercooler as well. Just something I noticed on your pics. The starter rope is right on the boost actuator with the way B D has it mounted now. Not sure if you've ever watched the rope vibrate when the sled runs, but I didn't like how it sat on the injector wiring plug on the actuator, and routed mine back behind a hose to keep it off. Just a suggestion.

Good catch, that is exactly how the charge tube angles on the piping line up, but I ended up rolling mine further toward the motor. I thought it was too close to the exhaust.
If you look at Oberti's pics, his charge tube is installed end for end different which works also.

S
Dec 20, 2007

Yes i know what your talking about. I had the rope tied off and thats why it was rubbing. It clears when the cowling is backm in place and untied.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I ran my sled as I had it set up last saturday, and installed the upgrade w/intercooler on sunday. I kind of wanted to compare last years setup to this new upgrade, but we are lacking for snow here in most of Colorado. Can't wait to get it out and try it. I will post some feedback when I do.

S
Dec 20, 2007
I ran my sled as I had it set up last saturday, and installed the upgrade w/intercooler on sunday. I kind of wanted to compare last years setup to this new upgrade, but we are lacking for snow here in most of Colorado. Can't wait to get it out and try it. I will post some feedback when I do.

Anybody running the bd snorkel kit? I debated but could cut a hole in the hood just yet. Must be a lot cooler air, might be the way to go?

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Adapt into the stock hood plenum, Who honestly wants to cut a 3" hole into there hood and side panel?

Personally I would never do it. However you will notice a huge increase in power compared to your underhood intake.

Last time I bought a Pro hood cost me $400.

Justin

C

csam17

May 25, 2011
Love 2 b installing mine

I'd love 2 b installing my snow checked silber kit that hooks into the stock hood plenum. Problems is I don't have it...

S
Dec 20, 2007
Adapt into the stock hood plenum, Who honestly wants to cut a 3" hole into there hood and side panel?

Personally I would never do it. However you will notice a huge increase in power compared to your underhood intake.

Last time I bought a Pro hood cost me $400.

Justin

Have you got the kits to do it? How much and how about a pic?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Installed my intercooler upgradekit on my 11 pro and it is tight but like has been said it does fit. Went for my first ride with it and had major issues. Probably my own fault as I forgot to put the controller back into operating mode before my ride and figure that out until I got back. My afr was all over the place. Could go more than 1/4 mile without the det light coming on. Adjustment of the extra fuel made no difference. Ended up adding 40 points of fuel in the high settings just to get the WOT afr down below 14. Can someone tell me if this what you would run into by not putting the controller back into operating mode? I know smart like a hammer :frusty:

Premium Features