• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 summit questions

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
I have an 01 summit 700, can someone tell me what the head bolts need to be torqued to and the cylinder bolts. Also how many on them piston pin bearings are there, I took the pistons out and some of them fell in the engine. So far I have found 28 per side. How have you guys been putting these back in, I am thinking about using some kind of grease to hold them little pins in while installing the piston pin.
I looked at the rubber head gaskets and they all look good so I am going to reuse them. Also does anyone have an extra starter recoil, mine has come apart and it hammered.

F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
My manual says 21 ft/lbs for bolts holding cylinder heads to lower crank case and cylinder heads. Also it says there are 28 pins so it looks like ya got em all.

There is a specific sequence for bolt tightening for the cylinder heads so that you don't warp it when torquing it down, even though you are almost done this may be a good time to download a manual ;)

X
Dec 1, 2007
NW Iowa
Pin install

I just got done rebuilding my top end as well. Lot's of guys suggest getting caged needle bearings(it's easy and cheap). I ended up using a socket- I think it was a 3/8" socket? Anyway, the socket should be the same size or slightly smaller than the piston pin and short enough that the piston will go right over it. Put some vasoline or grease on the socket, stick it in the rod and start puttin them little b#st#rds in there. It actually worked really well, just took some patience. Just make sure to throw a rag down over the engine so you don't drop them in again. Actually found this part was very easy compared to putting the pin clips in! Found the trick to that is take a small needlenose pliers and file a small groove way at the tip to "retain" the clips while you compress them and work them in. Good luck!

Also, heres a link to Skidoo manuals. Doesn't give you everything, but most of what you'll need for basic service, stock settings, etc:
http://chadt.us/snowmobilemanuals/index.html

Last edited:
R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
Another thing, I took the cylinders off and noticed that there is a "HO" stamped on the block where the cylinders came off, what does this mean. As far as I know this is a stock 700, I did buy it used. :confused:

Premium Features