• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When is the 18 release?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Oh yeah, I'm apologizing upfront for any misspelling or punctuation errors. Just let me know or chastise me and I might fix it if I don't forget first. :face-icon-small-hap

I was going to mess with you some more and then I Googled "chastise" and realized I didn't know how to spell.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Poo - BNColors. I didn't see needles as a RMK option on their site, just piggies. Big difference, needles would be a first on a non-assault if they are an option. Belt drive on the 3 would of been nice, and easy. UPDATE - Oops. Needles ARE an option. I stand corrected. Unknown shock shaft size.

Doo - Trust us. We'll fix it. Really. Shot is very cool.

AC - Should have put out the 18 in 17. But, you all know the lesson - never buy a first year cat. Maybe the early release will finally prove that wrong. Intriguing sled, hope their dealers survive.

Y - Um, still a cubby hair dryer. What a motor.

Should we be disappointed this year? Or are we just spoiled. We'd die for these choices just 3 years ago. Just a little perspective before we whine more. 18 could be a great year for tow rig updates!

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for making me laugh while my wife's watching The Voice.

I tried laying my sarcasm on thick.

Don't worry I spelled it right ^^^^

The irony...my wife was watching that too. She kept telling me to turn down my laptop while I watched the Polaris hype.

L
Dec 8, 2013
West & East
The irony...my wife was watching that too. She kept telling me to turn down my laptop while I watched the Polaris hype.

Dude your killing me. Its almost like your'e in the same room with me. Only difference is my wife's looking for a sled so after I was told to turn it down, I said "their showing the color of your new sled". Then she took the laptop and worked up a snow check assault in Grey/Pink...lol

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Not trying to start something
OR
Bashing polaris and drinking the bright yellow doolaid in the polaris forum with the username skidoo #1

Pick one friend :face-icon-small-hap

Please show me where I bashed Poo in this thread? I define bashing as stating something that isn't true to degrade the company. Just to make sure we have the same definition of bashing.

Right, came over to this field and didn't want to start anything. You have to admit, it's hard to talk up the 850 with the belt threads, bulk head threads, pipe sensor threads and even the occasional fire sale. I don't wish it on you or anyone else, we pay too much for these things. But this side from "the shot", I didn't see any ground being made by anyone this year.

It really isn't hard to talk up the 850 when you read all the positive reviews. 50% of the negative things you read are by people who don't own the sled nor have had any problems and are making it up to "bash" the company's product. In my personal experience with an 850 no belts were blown, and no bulkheads were cracked. This "issue" is far blown up and if any issues were to be had for 2018 you can feel confident they don't remain as they were addressed.

Again, aside from the complaints of this release, I think all products are looking good from every manufacturer. i just choose to keep my business with the leader. ski-doo#1

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
i just choose to keep my business with the leader. ski-doo#1

This brings up a great question on sales I have never seen the answer too. If you break down the sales by segment (mountain, Trail, Crossover, Utility, etc). Who leads what categories? I know Ski-Doo has the #1 position but is that in total units sold or sales totals?

The reason I bring it up is because when traveling around the US and Canada this past years trip to BC was the first time I have ever seen more Summits then RMK's on a mtn trip. Otherwise every single trip out west riding there are always way more RMK's seen then Summits (observation only looking at groups of sleds while out riding, sitting at hotels, rental fleets, etc). But when I go to places like the UP of Michigan you see tons more short track Ski-Doo's then Polaris. I know these numbers are never published but it sure would be cool to see the break down of sleds sold by manufacture per category over the US and Canada.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
It really isn't hard to talk up the 850 when you read all the positive reviews.
The 850 is a nice sled, no doubt.
50% of the negative things you read are by people who don't own the sled nor have had any problems and are making it up to "bash" the company's product.
Not sure where you got the 50% but I personally have seen plenty of real things breaking and blowing to know people aren't just making these problems up.
In my personal experience with an 850 no belts were blown, and no bulkheads were cracked.
The blown belts could be good luck but the bulkhead is clearly a known problem on the 2017's. Skidoo admitted as much when they braced the S module.
This "issue" is far blown up and if any issues were to be had for 2018 you can feel confident they don't remain as they were addressed.
That is yet to be determined if their fixes worked.
Again, aside from the complaints of this release, I think all products are looking good from every manufacturer.
I agree.
Isn't that called a bandwagon?

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
This brings up a great question on sales I have never seen the answer too. If you break down the sales by segment (mountain, Trail, Crossover, Utility, etc). Who leads what categories? I know Ski-Doo has the #1 position but is that in total units sold or sales totals?

The reason I bring it up is because when traveling around the US and Canada this past years trip to BC was the first time I have ever seen more Summits then RMK's on a mtn trip. Otherwise every single trip out west riding there are always way more RMK's seen then Summits (observation only looking at groups of sleds while out riding, sitting at hotels, rental fleets, etc). But when I go to places like the UP of Michigan you see tons more short track Ski-Doo's then Polaris. I know these numbers are never published but it sure would be cool to see the break down of sleds sold by manufacture per category over the US and Canada.

I agree it would be cool to see. What I know is that 2017 is the first year Ski-doo and Poo are tied for 1st place in the mountain segment in like 8 years. Previously, and what your observations prove, Poo was the mountain leader. However, not anymore. They are tied for mountain share and I think 2018 Doo will take over. Regardless, I think since they are tied in this category, again proving your observations to be correct, Doo owns the trail sled market as well. They have owned this market for a very long time thanks to the '03 REV which pioneered for current designs from all manufacturers no doubt.

It really isn't hard to talk up the 850 when you read all the positive reviews.
The 850 is a nice sled, no doubt.
50% of the negative things you read are by people who don't own the sled nor have had any problems and are making it up to "bash" the company's product.
Not sure where you got the 50% but I personally have seen plenty of real things breaking and blowing to know people aren't just making these problems up.
In my personal experience with an 850 no belts were blown, and no bulkheads were cracked.
The blown belts could be good luck but the bulkhead is clearly a known problem on the 2017's. Skidoo admitted as much when they braced the S module.
This "issue" is far blown up and if any issues were to be had for 2018 you can feel confident they don't remain as they were addressed.
That is yet to be determined if their fixes worked.
Again, aside from the complaints of this release, I think all products are looking good from every manufacturer.
I agree.
Isn't that called a bandwagon?

I never stated the problems don't exist my only point is the "issues" are not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Also, Ski-doo addressed the bulkhead, not because they seen it as a problem, but to make the customer happy so there is nothing to worry about. They did however find that at a certain angle it would break. The brace will be the fix for this particular situation which is rare. 60 out of 6,000 sleds rare. I do think they had a belt problem on more sleds than 60 though, however most people got very good sleds without belt issues.

Lastly, it isn't bandwagon as i have ridden Doo my whole life. Although many guys believe my vision is blurred, it is very clear to me as it should be to everyone that Ski-doo has a commanding lead for a reason. The reason is the quality of their product and their incredible innovations.

I am excited for all manufacturer's in 2018 and really hope for lots of snow out west the rest of the year and next year so we can all just get out and ride.

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I agree it would be cool to see. What I know is that 2017 is the first year Ski-doo and Poo are tied for 1st place in the mountain segment in like 8 years. Previously, and what your observations prove, Poo was the mountain leader. However, not anymore. They are tied for mountain share and I think 2018 Doo will take over. Regardless, I think since they are tied in this category, again proving your observations to be correct, Doo owns the trail sled market as well. They have owned this market for a very long time thanks to the '03 REV which pioneered for current designs from all manufacturers no doubt.

Tied in what? Units? Sales? That both sleds are somewhat equal? Source?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Don't know about 2017 sales. Neither do the OEMs, yet. That data isn't shared by ISMA until the season is over. For 2016, I was told by a poo/doo dealer that poo led sales in the "mountain" segment, doo trail and crossover. That said, they are likely getting closer now. Poo also has a much larger (largest) share of the rental market in the US. Also, since 2012, the 800 Pro RMK was the single best seller of any model of any OEM. Most importantly - the mountain segment now leads all segments in unit sales, and growth/potential. THIS is why we have such great sleds now - follow the money. The OEMs figured out where the new sales are (well, Y is still looking, I guess).

And all this means - not much. It's rear view mirror. Stroke yourself if you like 'cause you bought a 'leader'. Prior to the S chassis and Rev, doo was selling sleds with cement injected in the seat. For 20 years, it was all Poo and Cat. Before that Yamaha was the leader. Cat is the one who surrendered big time in the west - they flew the white flag since 2012 in the mountain segment. It will change again. Moral is - buy what you like - they are all better than most of us are as riders now. You'll run out of talent before you run out of sled.

Last edited:

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Tied in what? Units? Sales? That both sleds are somewhat equal? Source?

I shouldn't assume but I am sure it is number of units and sales.

Don't know about 2017 sales. Neither do the OEMs, yet. That data isn't shared by ISMA until the season is over. For 2016, I was told by a poo/doo dealer that poo led sales in the "mountain" segment, doo trail and crossover. That said, they are likely getting closer now. Poo also has a much larger (largest) share of the rental market in the US. Also, since 2012, the 800 Pro RMK was the single best seller of any model of any OEM. Most importantly - the mountain segment now leads all segments in unit sales, and growth/potential. THIS is why we have such great sleds now - follow the money. The OEMs figured out where the new sales are (well, Y is still looking, I guess).

And all this means - not much. It's rear view mirror. Stroke yourself if you like 'cause you bought a 'leader'. Prior to the S chassis and Rev, doo was selling sleds with cement injected in the seat. For 20 years, it was all Poo and Cat. Before that Yamaha was the leader. Cat is the one who surrendered big time in the west - they flew the white flag since 2012 in the mountain segment. It will change again. Moral is - buy what you like - they are all better than most of us are as riders now. You'll run out of talent before you run out of sled.

Oh? The manufacturer's don't know how many sleds they sold in year 2017 up to this point? I bet they know the exact number.

ISMA is just where they release all their info to the other manufacturer's. Sure there is a bit of season left to bring in all tallies but my info comes from Ski-doo themselves. Mountain sales are tied for product year 2017 as of February 15th, which is when I got this information.

Therefore, combining your information with mine. Doo owns trail, crossover, and shares first in mountain equalling 47% of the market.

There is no arguing the fact who sells more at present time. Yes, moral of the story is -buy what you like- and I also tend to like the G4 very much as do many others.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Oh? The manufacturer's don't know how many sleds they sold in year 2017 up to this point? I bet they know the exact number.

ISMA is just where they release all their info to the other manufacturer's.

Against my better instincts, I'm compelled to reply this one time, so others get an idea of how this works in the OEM industry, if they are interested.

Firstly, of course they know the shipping status of their own sleds (Ski-doo#1's response above is a false argument, intentional or not. I, and no one else, ever said they don't know their own ship statuses. Sloooow down.

What they don't know up-to-the-minute is the status of their competitor shipments, in total, by segment, or model.

ISMA is the International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association. Up until 15 years ago, the OEMs did not share any model breakdown unit sales information with each other. None, nada. Info as total units, at best - the rest was tribal knowledge, picked up when they hired each other's people, bragged to a magazine, etc. In the early 2000's they realized they are in this together (about the same time as the Blue Ribbon Coalition), and started to share model unit sales information through ISMA. They took the cue from the auto industry. It's voluntary and on the honor system, as in, no audits, etc. But, there is no "authority", and there can be delays in reporting, etc. When you are counting beans, best to wait until the bag is empty before you're done counting.

Ski-doo#1's statement as of Feb 15 could be dead on, and apparently he/she has some knowledge of the ISMA bean counting. If you're interested in how the beans were counted, hope this helps. Carry on, ride the color bean you like best...

Premium Features