• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what can i get away with

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
ok so I came off the old 800 motor what can I get away with for hp additions without a fuel controller? a ypipe? I know I cant swing a pipe. but id like to do a y pipe if I could.maybe a little exhaust port matching. I will have the added intake already.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
I wouldn't do anymore than a can with the intake. Remember that cat has to much timing in the mid rpm/throttle band for emissions. It will create a hot spot in your midrange without some kind of fuel or timing manipulation. Definitely no porting. If you want more horsepower you will need some form of electronic control box. And if you want the fix for this get a power commander V with timing control, so your not just throwing fuel at it to keep it cool.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Depends on your elevation and as Rob said, nothing more than an intake. You don't get a whole lot of HP with the HO y pipe as they smoothed out the transition on the stock pipe significantly from the 2007 to 2009 engine model.

I echo the PCV with timing statement. Pull some of that timing out of the midrange to get rid of the nasty lean spot.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
i ride some low elevation like 1700ft. basically im trying to keep up with a full bikeman pipe but i dont want a fuel controller for a year or two. im trying to keep fairly stock for a year or two cause im tired of tunning.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
I don't mean to thread jack, but do any of you know if I can get away with running the 5,000+ feet speedwerx pipe in the U.P. which is around 2,000 feet?

Nope, the stinger length will not work. It will never get any rpm. Get the low elevation one that will work everywhere.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
i ride some low elevation like 1700ft. basically im trying to keep up with a full bikeman pipe but i dont want a fuel controller for a year or two. im trying to keep fairly stock for a year or two cause im tired of tunning.

SLP my friend, they do 99% of the guess work for you.

Jul 22, 2009
05M7 - what about going the lightweight route, rather than engine mods? I see you are on a 2014 but keep in mind my comparison here is for the 800 HO motor...

My buddy has an SLP stage 2 kit on a 2010 M8 and that's pretty much it; I have a lightweight 2011 m8 with the only engine mods being the bdx intake and skinz super q can - bunch of weight loss and rotating mass lost from my sled too. Both sleds are dead even and mine is stock - pull and go 100% of the time which I think is what you are looking for...

Just my 2 cents

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
05M7 - what about going the lightweight route, rather than engine mods? I see you are on a 2014 but keep in mind my comparison here is for the 800 HO motor...

My buddy has an SLP stage 2 kit on a 2010 M8 and that's pretty much it; I have a lightweight 2011 m8 with the only engine mods being the bdx intake and skinz super q can - bunch of weight loss and rotating mass lost from my sled too. Both sleds are dead even and mine is stock - pull and go 100% of the time which I think is what you are looking for...

Just my 2 cents

im already in the proccess the goal is to be as light weight as can within reason, but id also like a few extra ponnies. im coming off 185 horse.

ive already got reapers headlight delete, carbon fiber clutch cover, ti trackshaft coming, evo can, bdx recoil, new lighter racewerx bumper, bdx brake rotor.looking into carbon fiber side pannels

also putting power to the ground with balanced clutches, mds weights, and custom tunned secondary.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Your already ahead of the game with the clutching right, you will be surprised.
Go light weight and set up your suspension right, skinny the biotch up and your good to go. you will love it.

Jul 22, 2009
05m7 - I think you will be really surprised with how your sled runs against your buddy. That is a serious build you have going. Like WYO said having that clutch dialed is big. I would take your setup over a piped sled any day.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
Your already ahead of the game with the clutching right, you will be surprised.
Go light weight and set up your suspension right, skinny the biotch up and your good to go. you will love it.

going to pick up the tig welder tomorow to start on running boards to make it skinny....

my main goal with this sled was to get rid of rotating mass and get the most power to the ground that i can possibly get. all while keeping it a true pull and go sled. but i figgured if i can throw a y pipe on eh why not?

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
going to pick up the tig welder tomorow to start on running boards to make it skinny....

my main goal with this sled was to get rid of rotating mass and get the most power to the ground that i can possibly get. all while keeping it a true pull and go sled. but i figgured if i can throw a y pipe on eh why not?

C3 synchrodrive if you really want to reduce rotating mass I think that is the most you can do. Where did you find a ti trackshaft I might be interested

05M7

Jan 2, 2008
bdx i guess i assumed its ti granted i know the 14 is a little lighter than a 13 but i thought every ounce counts

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
bdx i guess i assumed its ti granted i know the 14 is a little lighter than a 13 but i thought every ounce counts

BDX is steel just with a lot less material on it I lost 11oz putting it on but like you said every bit counts. So far I am down 55 pounds with another 10 plus coming soon

Last edited:
Premium Features