• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Shot Starting System

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Kudo's to Doo for being the first to apply this technology to sleds. Uses a ultra capacitor to store energy to start your sled just like electric start but no starter motor or battery needed. Weighs just 2 pounds, saves 22 pounds over a typical starting system. Cost $600 right now but I bet in a couple years it will be standard equiptment just like reverse.

https://www.snowest.com/2017/02/2018-ski-doo-shot-system-summit-freeride

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Once this proves reliable, it will be a no-brainer. Pull starting a sled 40 times in a day does fatigue a person, no matte who you are. It's just that some are impacted more than others. For me, I have always found electric start was worth the 20 pound weight penalty for not only fatigue, but for safety (starting a sled when hurt or in an awkward position).

So SHOT will be on my future sleds. Just hope they designed it in such a fashion that, if it fails, other systems will not be impacted (fuel injection, charging, etc.) and one can still pull-start the sled and ride.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
All good points. I wouldn't order it until it's had a season on the snow to make sure it doesn't cause problems. I'm a estart guy myself so would love to have this.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Once this proves reliable, it will be a no-brainer. Pull starting a sled 40 times in a day does fatigue a person, no matte who you are. It's just that some are impacted more than others. For me, I have always found electric start was worth the 20 pound weight penalty for not only fatigue, but for safety (starting a sled when hurt or in an awkward position).

So SHOT will be on my future sleds. Just hope they designed it in such a fashion that, if it fails, other systems will not be impacted (fuel injection, charging, etc.) and one can still pull-start the sled and ride.

Shot is only the ultra-capacitor so if it did not start with it, just pull start, like u do in the morning. I have had it this season on a 175 works wicked and better than they lead as they don't want to over promise. It's wicked vids to come as I am on the way home from Reno now

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
As an owner of 11 electric start sleds the savings in batteries alone will be worth it! I am making the assumption of course that the capacitor will last for years. Anybody know if this could be a retrofit item or is there other tech in the new 850 that will keep this from being able to be installed on older models? I agree that you can bet that if this proves to work well it will eventually become standard equipment.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
As an owner of 11 electric start sleds the savings in batteries alone will be worth it! I am making the assumption of course that the capacitor will last for years. Anybody know if this could be a retrofit item or is there other tech in the new 850 that will keep this from being able to be installed on older models? I agree that you can bet that if this proves to work well it will eventually become standard equipment.

The shot will NOT work on older sleds and is a factory installed option only.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I have an idea that this may soon be how electric start sleds will operate. Instead of having a starter the sled will have the SHOT system with a much smaller battery to charge the capacitor. Unless I am misunderstanding how it works but it seems like you could save weight on an electric start sled.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
it just makes sense...Though this is not new technology...at least not outside of the sled world... application with the ultra-caps is interesting... and many powersports mfg have been working with this technology for a while.

BRP is really pushing the industry lately though.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
They already have direct injection on the ETEC, I dont see why they dont just do what the automotive world does and use the injector, spark, and piston to get the engine turning over. Use the crank sensor to identify which cylinder is on the compression stroke, fire the correct amount of fuel into the cylinder (calculated from crank position sensor), fire that spark plug, and you have the engine turning over. Then repeat immediately on the other cylinder.

No extra parts added, nothing to fail, and no need to pull the rope for the first start.

The automotive world started doing this 9 yrs ago on production cars, long before that in race applications. Eric

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Just wondering as to why it only holds a charge for 30 minutes? Don't know anything about capacitors just wondering that's all.

It does not just hold it for 30 minutes, after 35 minutes it holds 95% and then it tapers off at 1 hr it is still at 80% , ultra capacitors charge really fast but they dissipate over time , when you start it it charges back up in 20 seconds so really I have never had to pull my sled more than once in a day so far.

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
I dont see why they dont just do what the automotive world does and use the injector, spark, and piston to get the engine turning over.
Wonder if that concept would even work on a 2-stroke vs. a 4-stroke. Not disagreeing with you, just thinking out loud. :)

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
Just wondering as to why it only holds a charge for 30 minutes? Don't know anything about capacitors just wondering that's all.

That's just the nature of capacitors versus a battery. They store electricity but bleed off relatively fast once the charging power is removed from them. They are like a bucket with holes in the bottom, you can still fill it with water but as soon as you shut the water off the bucket will start draining.

They are good for providing a short and powerful burst of electricity that they have been charged with.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Wonder if that concept would even work on a 2-stroke vs. a 4-stroke. Not disagreeing with you, just thinking out loud. :)

As long as the engine is direct injected I dont see why it wouldnt work, but it might be more difficult with only 2 cylinders. On a warm engine I think it would work just as effective as the shot system. Eric

F
Dec 3, 2007
You would need a battery to power the ECM, injectors, fuel pump etc to do what you suggest. That would add more weight than what shot does I would guess.

B
Feb 18, 2009
They already have direct injection on the ETEC, I dont see why they dont just do what the automotive world does and use the injector, spark, and piston to get the engine turning over. Use the crank sensor to identify which cylinder is on the compression stroke, fire the correct amount of fuel into the cylinder (calculated from crank position sensor), fire that spark plug, and you have the engine turning over. Then repeat immediately on the other cylinder.

No extra parts added, nothing to fail, and no need to pull the rope for the first start.

The automotive world started doing this 9 yrs ago on production cars, long before that in race applications. Eric

What production car has this?

B
Feb 18, 2009
As long as the engine is direct injected I dont see why it wouldnt work, but it might be more difficult with only 2 cylinders. On a warm engine I think it would work just as effective as the shot system. Eric

All you keyboard/Internet engineers should go get a job engineering this stuff if you thing the professionals have over looked such obvious and easy solutions!

Premium Features