• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A arm change on Gen4

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Most guys won't know until they have to but Doo has complicated the removal on these. Just wanted to give a heads up more so for an in the field swap. Pulling the pipe was always easier on the earlier models but the gen 4 is a must. Spring puller is also almost a must, wrench for the pipe sensor will be handy. The upper rear bolt still has the nut loosly setting in the cast so if it falls out and can't fish it back out you'll need more tools to remove the stock muffler. The muffler sensor has a locking tab with an ear bent over to secure it and a pretty stiff one at that. Anyway I suggest you look things over before hand to get a better feel for what may be needed in the field as far as changing parts. Even pulling the hood if you've never done it is not as simple as popping it loose from a set of rubber grommets. Tip for knocking th stock ball joint out of the spindle, take the nut off, thread it back on backwards with the nylon first about 90% through the nut and give it a rap with a hammer. Ski off the ground of coarse. Hope that helps someone out, have fun I think this is going to be one hell of a sled!
Dan

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Thanks for the info, great post.

I was really really really hoping the Doo engineers were going to spend a few minutes (literally) and take apart a Polaris before they designed the new bulkhead for the G4

I'm not a Polaris guy, my last 7 sleds have been BRP, but once anyone removes A-arms from a Poo even once they will not be happy with what they have to deal with on a SkiDoo. The threaded holes into the bulkhead and bolts that are all the same size are lightyears ahead of Doo and their hidden and difficult to access nuts that fall into never-never land as you disassemble or reassemble the sled.

Rant over. Maybe the next chassis will take ease of serviceability into consideration.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
That's disappointing to hear. It was enough of a pain in the old chassis. I was really hoping they would make it easier like the Pro when they went to the bigger cast bulkhead

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
I didn't put even look before I posted but I can tell you you cannot pull a lower off with the pipe in. If it can be done it's magic I don't know about. One other thing worth mentioning is if the upper rear nut happens to fall out of its cradle you'll have to be pretty fortunate for it to fall to the outside of the muffler to be able to grab it. More than likely it will go behind and you will be forced to remove the muffler. You will need either a nut driver or socket extension with a 10mm to get the bolt on the engine side of the muffler. It's a possibility it can fall into the belly under the engine. The locking tab that holds the muffler sensor nut would by far be the biggest challenge in the filed if the muffler had to be removed. Point being after that upper rear bolt is out of the nut it's in the hands of newton. Agreed Polaris has one of the best, hands down designs for a arm replacement. To be fair they all have "things" that just make you shake your head.

Last edited:

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Possibly. Never crossed my mind. Working with my blinders on. If so that would obviously simplify the muffler removal. Possible with the pipe too then. That would keep the sensor in a safer place as well. Thank you for pointing that out and making me look silly! :)
Dan

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
This seems ridiculous on such a common thing. Seems like skidoo has lost touch with their riders.

Premium Features