• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

<< ALERT >>: Federal judge says Forest Service broke law not regulating Snowmobiles!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
<< ALERT >>: Federal judge says Forest Service broke law not regulating Snowmobiles!!

Judge sides with backcountry skiers in use lawsuit

By JOHN MILLER and TODD DVORAK Associated Pres
http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_22917255/judge-sides-backcountry-skiers-use-lawsuit

BOISE, Idaho—A federal judge in Idaho says the U.S. Forest Service broke the law when it didn't craft rules to govern snowmobile travel, handing powder-loving backcountry skiers and snowshoe enthusiasts a victory that could extend to national forests nationwide.

U.S. District Magistrate Judge Ronald Bush ruled Friday that the Forest Service must go back to work on its 2005 Travel Management Rule and draw up regulations designating areas of use and non-use by all off-road vehicles, including snowmobiles, on national forest lands.

The Idaho-based Winter Wildlands Alliance had argued the agency's decision to allow individual forests to exempt snowmobiles from the rules was illegal and has created conflicts between snowmobiles and backcountry skiers.

The judge agreed with the skier's group, ordering the Forest Service to write a new rule consistent with his decision within 180 days. The decision will lead to changes in national forests in Idaho, but could also prompt national forests across the West and other states to revisit its off-road policies.

"The court finds the OSV (over-snow vehicles) exemption is contrary to law," Bush wrote. "The Court finds that the 2005 Travel Management Rule is arbitrary and capricious to the extent that it does not require designations for the use of OSVs upon the national forest lands."

Mark Menlove, executive director with the Winter Wildlands Alliance, said the decision was a monumental victory for backcountry skiers and other winter recreationists seeking a peaceful experience in the woods.

The group's goal is to not shut down snowmobiles in national forests, but force the agency to designate specific boundaries that carve out distinct areas for those who want to explore on powered sleds and those preferring skis, snowshoes and hiking boots.

"Many of our members use snowmobiles more and more to get to certain places, so we're not in any way asking the forest service to ban them," Menlove told The Associated Press on Monday. "But we are asking for some balance there, where our constituents can go and find peace and powder snow in the backcountry."

The U.S. Attorney's office in Idaho, which represented the Forest Service in the case, said the review process has not yet started to determine if an appeal is appropriate. Government lawyers also declined to comment on the decision.

But the ruling was disappointing to Idaho's snowmobiling community and the groups that joined the lawsuit to defend the existing rule. Sandra Mitchell, public lands director for the Idaho State Snowmobiling Association, said she was prepared to take part in the process of drafting a new rule and defending the recreational opportunities and the rural economies that benefit from the snowmobiling industry each winter.

"Obviously we want to ride in a responsible way, and be in places where we don't have negative impacts," Mitchell said. "But we also want to ensure that opportunities exist not just now but for future generations. Snowmobiling brings thousands of people to Idaho to recreate, and that's a huge driver for economies in the winter for rural Idaho."

==============

SNOWEST MEMBERS.

PLEASE POST YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS!!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Liberal Left-Wing Tree-Hugging onslaught is RELENTLESS.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE A MEMBER OF....

http://www.sharetrails.org/
masthead-blue.jpg

http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/
SAWS_logo.jpg

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
This is crazy is there a petition we can sign...... How much backcountry do skiers need and how much can they really access without a snowmobile????? I do both but hell I use my snowmobile to get to most of it!

:face-icon-small-con

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Most likely not a huge deal if handled properly. We have had designated cross-country areas, wilderness boundaries, and wildlife wintering boundaries as long as I can remember... If they don't get greedy or stupid, there is enough to share.

Sent from Moto's iPharce 5
PsychoSled.com - Got snow?

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
The benefit that snowmobilers put into the economy in Idaho is unbelievable. The skiers and bicyclers not so much. We owned a restaurant in northern Idaho for about 6 years and the money spent by snowmobilers is probably 10 to 15 times what the skiers spend. Bicyclers are worse. Skiers and bikers bring 6 or 8 people into the restaurant and order a medium pizza and 1 salad bar to split and drink water. The same number of snowmobilers and ATV riders order 3 XL pizzas and 3 pitchers of beer and a pitcher of pop for the kids and may refill those before they leave. We saw this for the entire time we owned the business and other businesses in the area told the same story. Idaho needs the snowmobile industry!!!!! Green doesn't create green $$$.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Most likely not a huge deal if handled properly. We have had designated cross-country areas, wilderness boundaries, and wildlife wintering boundaries as long as I can remember... If they don't get greedy or stupid, there is enough to share.

Sent from Moto's iPharce 5
PsychoSled.com - Got snow?

Year after year WE LOOSE GROUND.

When was the last time that we GAINED ACCESS to a new area rather than LOST ACCESS.??

These decisions are NEVER in our best interest.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The Liberal Left-Wing Tree-Hugging onslaught is RELENTLESS.

Like the members of CBU know, the environmental left is eating the elephant one bite at a time. Keep the skiers and snowshoers within 3 miles of the highway and let sledders use the rest, I say.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
This is a HORRIBLE precedent to allow and gain even more momentum. We must continue to act until we die. And, before we all kick the bucket, have the next generation educated to continue the battle.

Yet another great reason that come election time VOTE ALL judges out! Keep new blood coming in.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Correct me if I am wrong, but can't skiers and snowshoers use as much wilderness area as they want for backcountry activities!? So they already have a huge monopoly on land use and we have next to nothing in comparison. Am I misguided here?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
Correct me if I am wrong, but can't skiers and snowshoers use as much wilderness area as they want for backcountry activities!? So they already have a huge monopoly on land use and we have next to nothing in comparison. Am I misguided here?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

no you got it right, but the cross country skiers want us pack a nice trail for them.....then leave! the wilderness is just too tough...the snow is deep back there.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Federal Judge.

You guys are losing the point of the law suit. The 2005 law specifies that the FS designate specific trails for motorized use. Dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, etc. have designated trails and routes specified. The FS's former opinion was to exempt snowmobiling from the designated trails and routes requirement. They instead designated areas. If this goes thru as Winter Wild Lands wants. All snowmobiling will be done on trails and none off designated trails.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
You guys are losing the point of the law suit. The 2005 law specifies that the FS designate specific trails for motorized use. Dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, etc. have designated trails and routes specified. The FS's former opinion was to exempt snowmobiling from the designated trails and routes requirement. They instead designated areas. If this goes thru as Winter Wild Lands wants. All snowmobiling will be done on trails and none off designated trails.
You are absolutely correct Robbie.
The Western states have been watching this law suit. It may come to haunt us.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado

Year after year WE LOOSE GROUND.

When was the last time that we GAINED ACCESS to a new area rather than LOST ACCESS.??

These decisions are NEVER in our best interest.

I could not agree more....no matter what these people say, they can not be trusted. their real agenda is to eliminate snowmobiles altogether. if restrictions happen in Idaho it will set precedent and it will spread to every western state. Get involved NOW people!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I could not agree more....no matter what these people say, they can not be trusted. their real agenda is to eliminate snowmobiles altogether. if restrictions happen in Idaho it will set precedent and it will spread to every western state. Get involved NOW people!!

I AGREE 100%

The REAL AGENDA is an OUTRIGHT BAN ON SNOWMOBILES

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
And I ask again, who pays for the grooming of trails for these skiers and snowshoers to get to the powder, that would be us snowmobilers! I don't see permits on ski's or snowshoes, just on the hoods and tunnels of sleds!

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Posting comments and, information on here is great, but we are preaching to ourselves. REAL solutions will happen when you start joining snowmobile advocacy groups & clubs, donating money to them, contacting the Forest Service, meeting with your local land managers, and simply getting a plan together and getting organized.

If Snowmobilers Don't start taking this seriously, Snowmobiling on public land will be a thing of the past. Your kids may be able to ride a crowded trail....thats all. A few dedicated people Can't do all the work as is the current situation. It will take EVERY snowmobiler getting involved to fight this fight.

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
"Many of our members use snowmobiles more and more to get to certain places, so we're not in any way asking the forest service to ban them," Menlove told The Associated Press on Monday

This won't work for me. If THEY are allowed to ride OSV to get to the back country this is going to create a rub.

If they want to get 20 miles back into the back country they better plan on doing it by foot.

We (snowmobilers) have worked very hard at staying out of current restricted areas, being polite when crossing paths with skiers and such. We have learned to accept each others passions.

But I suppose I should start to complain every time I have to slow down, ride slow or stop to allow some Nancy in a nit hat pass by on a set of skies. From this point forward they are truly pissing me off disturbing MY activity!!!

Thunder

Premium Features