• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

do you tie down your sleds in an enclosed trailer?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Definitely! It only takes one sudden stop to get them moving... and it only takes a few seconds to throw superclamps on the skis. Do you really want your hood all scratched up because your buddies sled got a little too close?:face-icon-small-sho:rant:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
When staying local less than 50 miles no, they have never moved even dynamite stopping from highway speed once because some A..hole had the Uhaul turn signals reversed. Signaling for a right and turned left across the centerline as I swung wide to pass. Stopped in time and he was extremely apologetic and have put tie downs on ever since. It really doesn't take that long, I use the cam style tiedowns not the cumbersome ratchet jobs. They are not going to move anyway unless you invert the trailer but even then they will stay on the ceiling!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
ABSOLUTELY

Every Single Time.

When I first got the trailer and didn't tie them down, I "didn't" like the results when I opened up the door...

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I like the no tie down method. It is always fun for me to guess what the sleds look like when you open the door at the trail head. :face-icon-small-hap

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
guess been lucky... never tied em down and they dont really move, even with brakes not locked half the time.. if they are moving, your should probably settle down a little bit in the drivers seat... aside from a major "adventure" they never move on me.

for any long hauls, 100 miles or more i would probably lash them down just to keep em from rubbing from lots of chance to wiggle.

skidawg

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2006
Wausau, Wisc.
sled tie down

Absolutely! Have had a few times when I hit some black ice and have been sideways before I even knew it. No tie downs would have meant, damaged sleds and sidewalls in the trailer. I have got to much invested in my equipment and it doesn't take long to tie them down. I think this is just like the seat belt issue, you can go along time without wearing one, but the one time you are involved in an accident, is when you really find out how important they are!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I when traveling on the highway strap them down but when leaving the mountain heading to the hotel just leave them without the brakes on and have never had them move very much.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
In my old four-place we never tied down...no problems. Now the new trailer we use has a composite floor that makes the sled's more likely to slide around, so we have been.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I figure if I roll the trailer its going to be bad no matter what anyway.

honestly every accident pic I have seen with sleds in a trailer....it doesn't matter if it is tied down...they are getting tossed. Actually I do remember an accident and the non strapped sleds were tossed to the side with little damage.

Premium Features