• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the highest elevation a snowmobile has gone?

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
Back in 96 I rode the frozen river here at 3300 ft and then went to Brian Head Utah at 11,307 ft without any jetting or clutching changes. This was on my 96 600 Yamaha ST.

Ken.........

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
https://goo.gl/images/XhwhkyI once threw a snowmobile over those mountains
Xhwhky

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I live in the area. We usually start around that altitude. Vail pass is over 10k at the parking lot. You can drive a car over 14k in a couple spots in Colorado, so it's certainly doable.

I've been well over 13k on my sleds several times!

I've rode at Vail pass and it is up there.

I believe Snowy Mountain Lodge up by Green Rock is 10,000 feet and we ride up from there.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Will do. We we're with a local and he took us in some cool spots however always game to hook up with locals that know their way around.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A
Jan 13, 2012
Central Washington
It was about 1970 when a guy riding a Homelite snowmobile reached the summit of Mount Saint Helens. He went right up the Shoestring glacier. The summit was 9677 feet back then. About a 6500 foot climb from the base of the mountain.

He lost it coming back down. He lost both his boots and both his gloves. He spent a few days in the hospital with a broken leg and most of his fingers worn down to the bones at the tips from trying to stop his slide down the hill. The homelite was scattered in pieces all the way down.

His riding partner who had stopped about half way up used two screwdrivers, one in each hand, as ice picks to make his way to the injured rider. He found one of the homelite's skis and used it to splint the broken leg.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
When the 2016 Axys was introduced, one of the engineers in one of the promotional videos said they had gone up to 22,000 feet while testing; I forget if it was in Chile or Argentina.

Premium Features