• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tie-Down in Enclosed Trailers (USA)

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I just read about folks in Ontario getting pulled over for inspection to see if they had their sleds tied down - inside an enclosed trailer. AND checking to see if the straps are all MTO rated and whatnot...

While this may be a good idea so's to keep from buggering hoods and flaps, I've never heard of it being a law?

What 53' van trailer has anything tied down?
And I've hardly ever seen anyone even use the cross braces even.

I even heard of loads going down the road in covered wagons that's not tied down. (out of sight - out of mind) Not that _ that is legal...

But is this somehow a law to tie snowmachines down inside your enclosed trailer?

My chum recently bought an enclosed trailer again, so it will likely come up as an issue in the future here. (I have a flatbed and an open gooseneck that I use) I'm guessing that if I have a CDL - this could ding me for "Unsecured load"?

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
I put superclamps in my new trailer since I had them on the sled deck and love them

They are on the adjustable track. Works great, no straps and nothing ever moves. 5 seconds to put em on, Way easy and worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

I saw a dude slide into a ditch one time, 6 brand new sleds all piled up on top of one another was all I needed to see to convince me to use this method of securing the sleds.

Not sure on laws but I never have to worry if there is any sort of law cause I'm always secured

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
In 16 years of hauling sleds in an enclosed trailer I (or any groups ive went with) have not tied down sleds. Drive them in, set the parking brake and toss gear bags in between sleds and call it good. There have been a few times when we had sleds really stuffed into a trailer that we might put a strap on a couple sleds to keep them from moving forward. Never had any problems.

Some guys in our group have gotten trucks/ trailers blown off the hwy and rolled. In the few situations I know about first hand, more damage was done to the sleds and trailer when they were tied down. Dont think its going to make a big difference..... either way your in a bad situation.

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
Apparently MTO is expecting 2 straps for and aft. They are not OK with just a clamp up front.

Did these 6 sleds break though the trailer walls?

Hmm. They should do some testing. I bet the clamps (I am a weirdo and run rear clamps too) would hold better than a strap. I've run nearly 30 k miles with sleds on the deck using these clamps and wouldn't trust them to be secure up there by any other way. But that's a reasonable person talking here, not the govt ;) haha

The sleds in that accident didn't punch thru the walls outside of the trailer. They did however busy up the interior paneling and damage the insulation (it was a high quality trailer with heat and insulation).

Good luck with that issue you are having. Some of these rules are silly. I'm guessing somebody did something real stupid to enact such action by your DOT.

Premium Features