• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reviews - 2.5 Vs. 3" Paddle

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
. Set torsions to 5, stock limiter but soft front track spring, then moved the scissor back 3/4" and now it's very fun. .

I run a 165x3 and this is pretty close to how I'm setup on my G4. I've been messing around with my suspension all season and currently running halfway on the front and track with 5 on the torsions (I have zrp link in fwd hole too). I was in some deep (2.5-3.5') fluff last weekend and was very happy with the performance. Now, it could be because I got lucky with snow conditions vs setup but conditions are the same this weekend so I'm psyched

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I went from a 154x2.5 xm to a 165x3 850. Rode it for one season and now I’m going back to the 154. I didn’t like how unplayful the 165 was. It took way more effort to turn out and do re-entries. I think I’ll go with the 3”. Do a tmotion delete, exit torsion delete, and ice age rails and I’ll be set.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
The 154 by 2.5 G4 is the most fun and very capable.
The Mrs has a 3" and in some snow conditions I can do better on it , but it is way harder to ride due to the the extra traction.It does not nearly carve as nice as the 2.5. She is 100 Pounds lighter than me and needs a Z link and the suspension set as stiff as my sled just to control the wheely-monster. There are some snow conditions where the 3" really shines and it is not light powder, it is sugar snow. It actually is amazing how well the 2.5 does in pow mostly due to higher track speed. Oh and did I say it's a lot of fun.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
2.5 vs 3

My dealer has a 154 x 3" would be cool to find some1 with a 154 x 2.5" I could get them side by side. I would love to run a 2.5" if it works better then the 3" in most conditions. You really do have to try before you buy it's just hard to get all the sleds togeather on the same day. Right now i go 3" all day until proven otherwise on the hill.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Near a city in WA.
I totally agree with Norona. I had a 17 154. 3 in last year. This year a 18 154 2.5. To me the 2.5 is the way better option. My 17 was a wheelie monster. It would climb if you could manage it but always felt out of control. My 18 feels totally different. Very minimal ski lift. Ive been saying all year they must have changed something on the rear skid but its just the track. It jump s rite on top of the snow and goes the 3in would trench horribly on the 154 More track speed is always good. Its way more managable more fun to ride. I know it will go more places than my 17 with ease

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
I will jump in with my .02

I have been riding since the mid 80's, everything from 1/2" tracks where we bolted UHMW angle on for paddles to the 3". Different tracks and manufacturer of tracks. Different length tracks with small HP to turbo and Big Bore HP.

I love my 3" 165. I spent some time on the 3" 175 as well(great on stupid deep days but definitely less track speed).

It will depend on where you ride and how you ride.

I love mine for my style of riding--the road in, not so much.

In the trees, with proper clutching it rocks over anything I have thrown my leg over. Get out of more troubling situations and bad calls(by the rider) and makes me still look like I kinda know what I am doing...LOL.

I will go back in time... I think back to this trip I made to Mt Baker in 95 with a new freind(Jim) and a old riding buddy. Jim pulls his sled out of his trailer...HOLY Crap---this thing had a 136" x 2" challenger track....you wont be able to steer that thing in the trees was statements made all around----WRONG.. When I put my first 156 2.25 on I was told the same thing---WRONG---When I had a 162 x 2.5" The same thing was said---WRONG. Evolution of the sled!

I personally will never look back at a 2.5" track agian----except maybe for a spring sled--a 600 with a 1.5" to keep a challenge going.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I will jump in with my .02

I have been riding since the mid 80's, everything from 1/2" tracks where we bolted UHMW angle on for paddles to the 3". Different tracks and manufacturer of tracks. Different length tracks with small HP to turbo and Big Bore HP.

I love my 3" 165. I spent some time on the 3" 175 as well(great on stupid deep days but definitely less track speed).

It will depend on where you ride and how you ride.

I love mine for my style of riding--the road in, not so much.

In the trees, with proper clutching it rocks over anything I have thrown my leg over. Get out of more troubling situations and bad calls(by the rider) and makes me still look like I kinda know what I am doing...LOL.

I will go back in time... I think back to this trip I made to Mt Baker in 95 with a new freind(Jim) and a old riding buddy. Jim pulls his sled out of his trailer...HOLY Crap---this thing had a 136" x 2" challenger track....you wont be able to steer that thing in the trees was statements made all around----WRONG.. When I put my first 156 2.25 on I was told the same thing---WRONG---When I had a 162 x 2.5" The same thing was said---WRONG. Evolution of the sled!

I personally will never look back at a 2.5" track agian----except maybe for a spring sled--a 600 with a 1.5" to keep a challenge going.

I agree, I would never go back from my three inch in the 165/175, the sleds I ride, however in the 154 when comparing the 2.5 to the 3 inch, the 2.5 is better in every way in every snow condition due to the length of the sled, best combo, lightest combo and gets the sled up and flat on the snow quicker. You really do have to ride them side by side to believe it! It is not to convince anyone, try it and see, again only in the 154, although the 165 in the 2.5 also rips, however I have not spent enough time on comparisons, this conversation is really about getting further and faster on the 154.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
First off, I'm an east coaster. Our snow comes in everything from blower pow to cascade concrete. We all ride 154's pretty much...a few 163's but they are rare. We are a mix of 3" and 2.5".

First point: A 2.5" G4 (3.5 pitch) is NOT the same as an XM 2.5". It has much better traction. I've had both 2.5 and T3 XM's and I would say the G4 2.5 is much closer to the T3.

The G4 3" is a step over my T3. I find it tends to jump forward more than dig....so if you are side hilling technical terrain, the 2.5 will set easier but on deep days....give me a 3" to avoid stucks.

On balance tho and for our conditions....if I was buying a 2019...i'd probably stay with the 2.5".

OTM

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
2.5" or 3" Now I'm wondering

Looking for any1 in Oregon with with a 850 154" x 2.5" haha. Getting that freeride 137" things gunna be unreal!!! I'm wanting to ride a 154 x 2.5" I really do like the idea of more track speed. Right now on my 165" x 3" I'm seeing 48-50 mph on my gage in deep snow. What are the 154" x 2.5" turning for T.S. ? :face-icon-small-con

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
First off, I’m currently on the wrong sled for your question BUT, other than a few others in my regular crew everyone else is on an 850 as the majority. So my response is based on what I see from the majority of guys I ride with.
A couple of the guys on 850’s are from the coast but generally ride here for the deep dry snow instead of the wet heavier stuff. They both run 3” 165, however they say the 2.5” is a better track for “back home”. Where we used to ride in MT the snow is more on the average side of things and a bit wetter, maybe not coastal wet but relative to here definitely wetter with way less blower Pow type days. The shorter lugs overall worked better there, especially for slowing downhill. The shorter lug doesn’t fold as easily so less runaway feeling.
Here if you’re not on a 3”, no matter what brand sled, your day is filled with more digging out stucks and poaching lines.
Personally I would think for your majority snow conditions a 2.5” in 154 is the way to go. It’s only on the deepest of days the guys on 154 2.5’s have much trouble.

Evanbcx

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2015
Newfoundland
I had a 154/3 last year and a 154/2.5 this year and the 2.5 is so much better to ride. The 3 trenches a ton and doesn’t get where you want to go without a huge trench. The 2.5 climbs better and is way easier to ride.

rabidsnowmobiler

Lifetime Membership
May 27, 2011
I'm ordering a 2019 and find myself torn between the 154 2.5" track and 165 3" track. My current sled is a 2015 T3 163 equipped with the Conquer 280 track. Despite the conquer getting a bad rap from some folks, I've had great luck with it and love how playful it made my T3. Because of this, I'm leaning more toward the 154 2.5" when i order the 2019. My big concern is my riding group has 165's and 175's so I don't want to be holding the group up!

I have spent some time on the 165 3" and the 175 in the 850 model. While those are funs sleds for sure, they just seem to be more of a "tractor" vs. my current sled. And I keep thinking to my wife's renegade 850. The sled amazes me with how much it will go through, and how the track easily "lights up" when hammering the throttle. I'm hoping the 154 2.5" will have some of that feeling?

Decisions, decisions!

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Rode in some super deep snow this weekend. GFs 154 2.5" killed it. Saw some awesome track speed numbers. It won't "grab" as hard as the 3.0" but it is no slouch in the deep. Gets on snow really well, no excessive wheelie mode. I dig it!

A
Feb 16, 2014
So.
After reading all the replies to your question.
What have you decided?

154 with a 2.5 ?
or
165 with a 3.0?

Well, I was pretty set on the 154, but after researching the forums, hearing opinions thru this thread, and riding the deep snow we received the last couple weeks, I am now set on the 165x3”. Having the extra forgiveness of the longer track is starting to sound more appealing and being that I am also a bigger guy (6’-4”, 240 pounds RTR) seems like this is the right direction for me to head. Greatly appreciate everyone’s input. Have fun and ride safe!

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Good call Adventure! I read a lot of guys talk about "playful" with shorter tracks and shorter paddles... if you ride deep and fresh this quickly translates into "pain the A$$" from having your buddies dig you out all the time (if they have longer and deeper lug tracks). If you are below 175 lbs, young with quick reflexes, and ride at much higher speeds than most then a 154 can absolutely be the way to go! If not, be like the rest of us an enjoy getting to the top without being a drag on your group so you can end the day with a smile on your face and enough energy to toast the day with a cold one! Enjoy!

Premium Features