• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lower drive belt pulley bolt, loosey goosey.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
anyone having issues with lower belt drive pulley bolt loosing off?
Been running ARP bolts since day one on my 2015. Tki belt drive. Torqued to 50lbs with blue locktite. After 2 times loosing off, pulled bolt out, put new ARP in with red loctite. liberally!! Went on one ride, didn't loosen off. Just don't like using red unless I have to. Everyone should paint pen your lower bolt/washer/drive gear. Then you can monitor it, and catch it if she backs off!!
Scary!!:face-icon-small-sho

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
anyone having issues with lower belt drive pulley bolt loosing off?
Been running ARP bolts since day one on my 2015. Tki belt drive. Torqued to 50lbs with blue locktite. After 2 times loosing off, pulled bolt out, put new ARP in with red loctite. liberally!! Went on one ride, didn't loosen off. Just don't like using red unless I have to. Everyone should paint pen your lower bolt/washer/drive gear. Then you can monitor it, and catch it if she backs off!!
Scary!!:face-icon-small-sho

Are you using the stock polaris washer under the bolt head? Or did you upgrade to the thicker Skidoo washer? The Polaris washer is too thin / flexible in my opinion and contributes to the breaking bolt phenomenon, which is ultimately due to poor spline tolerances / fitment. If the stock washer were to flex for whatever reason and ultimately take a set. It would appear that the bolt loosened off but may not have.

I have some extras of the thicker Skidoo washers if you want, to try them.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
My 2¢

Use the thick washer like LH said.

Since you have the TKI drive with a tensioner and you don't have to remove the lower sprocket to change the belt.

You could take up some of the slop in the spline fit with loctite shaft compound... like 660 (per Teth-Air recommendation)
http://www.na.henkel-adhesives.com/adhesives/product-search-1554.htm

660 will release at 250ºC easily.

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Skidoo verses the stock Polaris Washer

Good Lead LH.

What are the dimensions on this Doo washer (OD/Thickness)?

29.80mm OD
10.28mm ID
3.5mm Thick
0.8mm of Crown or Belleville
17 Grams

Where as the Polaris washer is:
31.80mm OD
10.34mm ID
3.0mm Thick
0.55mm of Crown or Belleville
17 Grams

The larger diameter, thinner cross section, and less crown; make the Polaris washer much easier to deflect / crush / dinner plate in the opposite direction.
Interestingly they are the same weight. FWIW

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
I appreciate the feedback. I did use the stock polaris washer. Seems pretty beefy. After all, it is just a washer. Bolt did indeed back off a turn and a half. Not sure about a thicker washer making a difference. When you think about it, if the washer is thicker and tougher, might make the bolt head pop off before bending the washer? Just a thought. Washer was straight and undamaged when I reinstalled it. I feel it is debatable. I don't think that bolt is long enough to begin with, let alone making it shorter with a thicker washer. Polaris hokey band aid fixes. So annoying isn't it!! Sled has 200km on it. Hilarious. Have to just keep an eye on it. Thought about swapping out for a chain case if keeps backing out.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Bushing

I'd like to see a truly "thick washer" ...

Or more precisely... a weight distribution bushing.

A super thick "slug" that would allow you to use a 1" longer bolt... so that there would be no deflection of the washer... and allow for considerable pre-load, or "stretch" to be applied to the bolt... I believe that this would help in all situations but the one where the splines are so sloppy that the bolt gets loosened by this.

attachment.php

slug.jpg

Premium Features