• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Conventional vs Vertical Steering

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
Just wondering what the scoop is with the conventional vs vertical steering option on the Proclimb. Which one would be better for a guy like me that's 6'5" and 220+? Apparently the vertical steering is going to be the only one with the adjustable steering post which leads me to believe that is the one I need.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Just wondering what the scoop is with the conventional vs vertical steering option on the Proclimb. Which one would be better for a guy like me that's 6'5" and 220+? Apparently the vertical steering is going to be the only one with the adjustable steering post which leads me to believe that is the one I need.

Jorgy, where are you seeing that?

I would assume that's the option for people to have a sled that feels like the racer, xp, nytro OR similar to a current M or pro.

cool idea, but I haven't seen that.

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
It's in the brochure. Page 24/25 of the one I'm looking at. There it states that the M800, M1100 & 1100 Turbo will have conventional steering, whereas, the M800 Sno Pro and HCR will have vertical steering.

M
Feb 27, 2010

the guys that are going huge hav breakage issues with the vertical so they well all want the over the motor setup.in the 800 its only on the base model but all the 4stroke hav over the motor.on the xertical it should be stronger then the current one and they are useing a different coupler block to hold the post so it should be stronger.hope that helps.

J

Johnmaster

Feb 21, 2009
Mukwonago, Wi
www.johnmaster.net
It was down by the weld that the old ones broke, the new ones should be one piece and hopefully as strong as anything (in theory). I am sure now the bracket they attach to or something silly will break:) Thinking a short t-post that replaces the telescoping shaft with a short pivot riser and a set of regular pro taper bars would be pretty trick. That would give B.C.I.L. the safety factor he was mentioning that the flat bar/telescoping post doesn't.

I am pre-hating the laid back steering angle on the "conventional" set-ups. I am glad they made the vertical style option.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The vertical steering is like the Poo and Old Cat, the conventional is like the XP and Yamaha.

Basically when standing the vertical requires pushing/pulling forward and back which most sidehill riders or sit down riders like. The conventional style allows the rider to put weight down on the bars to turn so if standing there is much less muscle required. This makes holding the sled in a sidehill a little more difficult as the close arm tends to pull down on the steering and causes the sled to turn when you may not want it..

There is no room on the 4 stroke for the vertical linkage I would guess.

Think about the angle on a steering column of a bus, straight up and down, now a sports car, almost horizontal.:nod:

Attachments

• arctic-cat-ge.pdf
    56.9 KB · Views: 201

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
the guys that are going huge hav breakage issues with the vertical so they well all want the over the motor setup.in the 800 its only on the base model but all the 4stroke hav over the motor.on the xertical it should be stronger then the current one and they are useing a different coupler block to hold the post so it should be stronger.hope that helps.

Vertical post isn't the issue, the issue is a post design that has nowhere to go with a hard hit, and isn't supported from going down by a 2nd race on the post, so it cracks the bulkhead.

We have a very simple fix for it, make a post like everyone else in the industry, and put a better bushing on it.

I got used to the other style of steering when i was riding my racer a lot, but don't think I want that for mountain riding... just don't like it. (obviously people do though, so cool to see an option I guess?)

S

summit-x

Mar 3, 2008
Central,ND
i wish i could get get the vertical on everysled im not sure if i would like the conventional needs to be more vertical for my liking

M
Feb 27, 2010
Vertical post isn't the issue, the issue is a post design that has nowhere to go with a hard hit, and isn't supported from going down by a 2nd race on the post, so it cracks the bulkhead.

We have a very simple fix for it, make a post like everyone else in the industry, and put a better bushing on it.

I got used to the other style of steering when i was riding my racer a lot, but don't think I want that for mountain riding... just don't like it. (obviously people do though, so cool to see an option I guess?)

we hav 3 riders riding cats in slednecks14 and not one has had a bulkhead crack .they are just push the post over on the landings.so much force towards the front on the big drops.they well all be getting the over the motor 800base with over the motor.can't wait to tear into one of these new sleds.

P
Feb 23, 2010
Both machines use the same steering shaft but the 800's have an adapter plate to move the bars back and into an upright position. Cant do this on the 4 stroke because of the position of the air intake. Cat hopes to have a kit available by next fall to adapt the 4 strokes , but because its a safety issue it needs full testing before release.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
we hav 3 riders riding cats in slednecks14 and not one has had a bulkhead crack .they are just push the post over on the landings..

look harder.:face-icon-small-win

funny when CB was still running cats, last time I went in his shop I looked under the hood of 2 sleds... both had the crack.

unless you land smooth (cough... not me!) you're gonna crack it with enough hits.

My 09 cracked without ever having left my hands, just hard landings.

Some day I'll learn to land ON the landings rather than past... but for now I'll keep fixing the M's.

Premium Features