• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best shocks for the proclimb

K
Jan 4, 2017
Trying to decide wether or not to ditch the air shocks and go coil what's everyone opinions I have never really messed with them but want to try something different

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I don't know a lot about the float 3 shocks but I really like the float evol shocks that are on my limited. They are very good shocks for bumps both in normal riding and sidehilling. I'd give them a try before just ditching them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I am coming from the evols on my 16 limited and the float 3s are just not the same was also thinking of getting the kit to turn them into evols since it's a lot cheaper than buying new evols

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Air vs Coils?

I have both Floats & Zero-Pros with stock coils. Zero-Pros with Renton coils were Rasmussen's favorites when he rode for Cat! My Floats are evols on my '17 & re-valved Float 1s with HyGear's extra air chambers on my '10 M8. I think the evol or HyGear extra chambers make a big difference in both handling & ride quality, but it takes time plus trial & error to get them set up for the rider.:juggle: That being said, I like the simplicity of my coil overs on my '11 Crossfire 800; it is the best ride in the rough snow ( also being a 141 track). It seems that, to get the ride/handling set up that there is a bit more static sag than I like. It rides well without bottoming, but just makes me wonder if I am getting the full function out of the rear suspension. There is a thread on here or ArcticChat (Can't remember where) about Raptors & others addressing concerns about static/rider sag despite improved ride/handling. It would be great to hear from more riders about their experiences with air vs coils??:face-icon-small-con

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I went from the base Fox 3 on my 2014 to Elka Stage 5, wasn't really looking for a coil shock, but I had changed up to the 36 front and 2016 rear so I needed to replace the front skid shock and either shorten or replace the front shocks. Was looking for fox evols but came across a great deal on the Elkas. So far I find them way better on rough trails, but I am still figuring out a setting that works well sidehilling. I think my issue is that they have so many adjustments that you can completely screw your self up by changing to many things at once :). Finally got them working this weekend as well as the floats did after spending most of the day tweaking. So now I seem to have a better trail ride and at least the same sidehilling. Think I can get them to work better yet but might require a change of springs. Still think that for my ability a simpler coil over, or the Evols would be a better option.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
Love the adjustability of the float evols on my MC let's me dial in the suspension for my weight and riding style and ride conditions with little effort. Down side is the air psi changes from time to time, not a big deal just remember your sweet spot #'s and dial back in. Floats are also light weight

K
Jan 4, 2017

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
what suzzyQ said, the fox float evol 3s are one of the reason i went with a cat. i bought a mountain sled tho, not a snocrosser.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I'm a Huge fan of the Fox airs. I buy the RC2s because I want to have compression adjustment. I'd highly recommend you talk to Tom at Toms Snowmobiles. He's always dialed me in and I'd bet he could add Evols to your 3s and revalve them and you'll love them. I've got Raptors on one sled but I like the Fox airs better.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
There are some okay air shocks. I prefer the consistency of coil overs.

Personally Elka Stage 5 are impossible to beat there is so much adjustment you can tune them to each ride or portions of a ride individually. I set them soft for tree riding and crank them up to bang down the trail. Takes 5 seconds to do.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I've run Raptors, Exits, and Evol R's. All great shocks. I like the light weight of the air shocks. It's amazing how far air shocks have come in the past 6 years. The valving and internals they use make them so much better than the crap that came stock on the M sleds back in the day.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Two things to remember when discussing air shocks:
1. Air shocks released in the last 2-3 years are not the same as anything previous. So opinions like "air shocks suck" without anymore detail are not very helpful.
2. OEM Fox shocks use Fox parts and that is it. Cat specifies what parts are used and the valving specs so you were often not getting the latest and greatest as the bean counters are involved. Fox aftermarket uses their own setups. Comparing a stock Float to a Raptor, Exit, Elka, or Fox aftermarket is not apples to apples.

blackjack85335

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2008
going to raptors

I'm going from stock float 2''s to raptors on the front and back track shock of my M1100T. I'm also switching from a cat 38" front to a barcode 36" front end and adding a tki belt drive. Should have some rides in next weekend. I'll post my findings on the shocks, front end and belt drive. Wish I could a report on each item one install at a time but I sent the sled to my dealer and having it all done at once and shipped back to me. Looking forward to the first ride. Being a 4 stroke I expect to feel quite a difference switching from floats to raptors on the front end. I don't do big jumps but I plan on getting my pig airborne every chance I get. Well see how the raptors hold up to my flying pig. :eyebrows:

Premium Features