• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 cat

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Just got off of the dealer webinar, they will have a early release Mountain Cat for dealers to have in showroom, it looks to be 7 lbs lighter that the 2017? Found the spec sheet online. Will have more information shortly

Interesting, wonder how this will be different than the shed they have already released?

powder pounder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
We installed a jaws can right away. Fit ok. M8000 can works on a ctec m6000. It was cutting out on a jack stand so we took it off. Later found out that new sled won't rev past 6200 rpm for first while. Must be a break in deal. We will try a jaws can this week.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
That's about all the Poo guys have for an argument. "Oh ya, well it's still lighter". Lol. I challenge anyone to be able to tell 15 lbs difference while riding a sled. 50 yes, but not 15.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
Snowmobile.com did an honest weigh in with the sleds fueled. 32 pound difference. 13 more pounds if you run the belt drive Poo.....uh, that is 45 pounds.
So what does cat have on Poo. Cats 2018 big changes are a narrower lighter sled, direct injection, better low end torque, better approach angle to get up on the snow, better clutching and those amazing gray graphics. Seems like playing catch up to me. I actually like the Cats and would love riding them but this discussion is all about brand loyalty b.s. not the facts. Come on guys, you can do better, they're all great sleds but give Poo credit for driving these great advancements. I think Cat was very competitive with their M sleds, led the way in many respects but they dropped the ball on a lot of things in 2012 and have been trying to get back in the game since. Great progress the last few years.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The 32 pound difference was on the 17 3 inch/chaincase Axys and 17 Mountain Cat sleds. Throwing in the 2.6 belt drive weight is not comparing apples to apples. 3 inch track to 3 inch track is. In a short time we will have info on the 18's, that difference is sure to shrink. Polaris my have the lighest sled but it also has the weakest motor and suspension in the 800 class.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Cat has been back in the game for Atleast the last 2-3 years. for some reason people are still hung up on the few problems the '12s had, and using that as an excuse to not even give a newer cat a chance.

It's funny that the new doos seem to be having more problems than the '12 cats had but people justify it and stand by them. Where with the cats folks still can't get over it some 5-6 years later.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
IMO cat hit a home run with this new engine/clutch combo. As far as chassis goes the proclimb is tough it's been put though its paces and is without a doubt the toughest chassis out there. Now add the suspension adjustments and narrower body paneling and you have the best mountain sled to hit the snow in quite awhile.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Snowmobile.com did an honest weigh in with the sleds fueled. 32 pound difference. 13 more pounds if you run the belt drive Poo.....uh, that is 45 pounds.
So what does cat have on Poo. Cats 2018 big changes are a narrower lighter sled, direct injection, better low end torque, better approach angle to get up on the snow, better clutching and those amazing gray graphics. Seems like playing catch up to me. I actually like the Cats and would love riding them but this discussion is all about brand loyalty b.s. not the facts. Come on guys, you can do better, they're all great sleds but give Poo credit for driving these great advancements. I think Cat was very competitive with their M sleds, led the way in many respects but they dropped the ball on a lot of things in 2012 and have been trying to get back in the game since. Great progress the last few years.

i agree that poo makes a good sled. I thought they were on top during the M-series days too. not many agree with me on that. that M-series was a big sled. huge hood. I lost interest until the proclimb. proclimb was intriguing. didnt sound worth buying until 16 imo tho. but cat was the first with a chassis that sits higher like they all do now. lots of cat stuff gets copied eventually. 8 tooth drivers will be one. i think their front suspension, the spindles and the distance between the a-arms is next. Poos front suspension just looks weak, A-arms stuffed close together like a 90s Blade "future" sled, remember those? and it all packs up with pow, even the springs on their shocks. if you ride them in the pow and then weigh them in its probably pretty close...
I like that cat improves their sled a little every year where polaris will give you the exact same machine with bng's, and still bare aluminum parts that attract ice formations.
But, poo makes a great sled, not hatin just weighin in.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
Cat has been back in the game for Atleast the last 2-3 years. for some reason people are still hung up on the few problems the '12s had, and using that as an excuse to not even give a newer cat a chance.

It's funny that the new doos seem to be having more problems than the '12 cats had but people justify it and stand by them. Where with the cats folks still can't get over it some 5-6 years later.

Agreed nothing wrong with the sled from 2014 to now, 2016 changed the sled a lot with the different suspension, it's too bad cat didn't take the plunge on the mountain cat set up for the whole 2017 mountain lineup, my MC noticeably holds steeper lines with less effort then previous models, I want to try a '18 just to see how much the new panels contribute

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
I absolutely agree that Cat is heading the right direction. I think in the weigh in above comparing a 153 cat to the 162 Polaris is misleading.

Does the Poo feel lighter, not through the bars but I've always felt like it lifts up on the snow better....maybe not anymore. I've seen the Cats spin down and rest on their running boards in some conditions when the Poo just crept along....maybe not anymore. I also agree that the Poo carries more snow on the tunnel, I had a painted tunnel and if it helped it was very, very little. But when I look at the Cats I ride with they carry snow as well....but not as much.

I think overlooking the belt drive option that Poo offers only tells part of the tale. Don't tell me that a lot of you Cat guys wouldn't get one if Cat had the option....but they don't. Belt drive might not be great for turbo guys but they have been very dependable otherwise.

Both great sleds and it is great to have options.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
2018 cats release on Sunday.
Will they have the bike ready?
Is the 3.5x 3 powerclaw ready?
Is the belt drive ready?

I'm thinking, MC and bike this year!

snowmow

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
+1 on the cat bashers since 2012. I know guys that bought the 05-06 poo 900's. Complete engine fiasco, although a few didn't have problems most did. But allot of those guys went right back to poo. Then their engines were grenading on allot of the Pro's. Then they went out and bought the new axy's. I'm glad it sounds like poo got their engine problems finally worked out. I'm not a brand loyal guy, I had a 900 poo and we have a Doo and a couple of Cat's. I don't get it either.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Agreed nothing wrong with the sled from 2014 to now, 2016 changed the sled a lot with the different suspension, it's too bad cat didn't take the plunge on the mountain cat set up for the whole 2017 mountain lineup, my MC noticeably holds steeper lines with less effort then previous models, I want to try a '18 just to see how much the new panels contribute

Cat didnt have enough MC parts last season or they would have done more with that platform. New panels have a sleek design with less bumps which cuts through the snow better on top of being more narrow. That's what I noticed about them. And the side panels are way lighter.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
I'm gonna let the new engine have a year out in the field and give the aftermarket stuff a chance to come out cuz I can't leave anything stock lol, just gonna put a belt drive, lightweight jack shaft and possibly retro '18 belly pan and panels. Wish cat would just come with factory belt drive and get rid of that goofy chain case and oil tank. Would rather see that then new rear skid, led headlights would be a no brainer for the new 18's

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
I'm gonna let the new engine have a year out in the field and give the aftermarket stuff a chance to come out cuz I can't leave anything stock lol, just gonna put a belt drive, lightweight jack shaft and possibly retro '18 belly pan and panels. Wish cat would just come with factory belt drive and get rid of that goofy chain case and oil tank. Would rather see that then new rear skid, led headlights would be a no brainer for the new 18's

Agree completely on the belt drive and oil tank.

Does someone actually know if the 18 is narrower than the 17 MC at the front of the boards? I know the panels are flush.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Looks like the same width right at the front of the boards, but looks like they did the same type of narrowing we do on the old plastics when we narrow with BM fab skinny boards. Cause the spacing at the primary looks to be the same as what I did when I narrowed my 16.

I don't think the new panels will be able to be narrowed any more than what they are. Well they could possibly, but then you'd need to lose that brace that keeps the belly panels from pushing into the primary. Any more narrow and without that brace and the primary will for sure just grind into the panel.

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
Premium Features