• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rebuild begins

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
2000 700 136" xtra lite.
I have sent off my steering post to Wildchild and will be stoked when it's ready. Checked water belt, looks good, changed chain oil.
Took my cylinder head off and its pitted and piston heads are black. Couple more days and I'll order a top end rebuild kit. Any suggestions? Wiseco OK?
As soon as I get the cajones, I'll pull the clutch off and figure out what's going on there. White spring, no idea what weights and no real clue how to find out. One thing at a time.
I'm waiting on new jets/needles to replace stock ones. Took ACCS off and ran exhaust line right into screw hole that held ACCS on. Should I put some instant foam in the hole where the ACCS was?
Last, my throttle cable(maybe 10 hours on it) is unwinding at the oil pump. Any fixes or suggestions to prevent this in the future. The plate that holds the cable in place on top of the oil pump is bent up and I'm kinda sketched on bending it back.
I've been told to check the gearing. Where is it and how do I do it? Thanks a lot!

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
2000 700 136" xtra lite.
Couple more days and I'll order a top end rebuild kit. Any suggestions? Wiseco OK?
Wiseco or stock is good.
As soon as I get the cajones, I'll pull the clutch off and figure out what's going on there. White spring, no idea what weights and no real clue how to find out. One thing at a time.
The number is stamped on the side of the weight.
I'm waiting on new jets/needles to replace stock ones. Took ACCS off and ran exhaust line right into screw hole that held ACCS on. Should I put some instant foam in the hole where the ACCS was?
What do you mean by exhaust line?
Last, my throttle cable(maybe 10 hours on it) is unwinding at the oil pump. Any fixes or suggestions to prevent this in the future. The plate that holds the cable in place on top of the oil pump is bent up and I'm kinda sketched on bending it back.
I would make it normal and readjust oil pump setting.
I've been told to check the gearing. Where is it and how do I do it? Thanks a lot!
The gearing is inside the chaincase. You will have to drain your chaincase oil which you just changed and pull the cover off to count the teeth on the gears.

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
SHould have explained the exhaust line better. The exhaust lines coming off the carb that used to go to ACCS I ran into the airbox. I used one of the screw holes that held the ACCS in place. Hope that makes sense!

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
The carb vent lines should be okay where you put them. About the idle screw I would take the carb off and see if it is possible to back it out by getting at it from the carb throat side. I would also try to get the proper one from a wreckers or from a dealer.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
When you removed the ACCS did you cap the vacuum supply line for the ACCS at the carburetor fitting? If not you should do that.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I cant believe no one else has mentioned the one glaring thing from your original post. If your cylinder head is pitted then its junk. You will need a new one.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
THANKS!! I was wondering about that. I'll check the swapmeet/Ebay, I see them pretty often.

No problem man glad to help someone just getting into the sport out. Its cool to see how excited you are about all of this.

If you can post up some pictures of what all your doing. Seems like you have a lot going on.

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
Yeah, I've gotten into this winter. I've always been involved in winter sports, but never got into sledding til now. And now all I do is wrench on the old girl. I'll get some pics soon. Hopefully meeting up with a guy in a couple weeks and taking his Vanamberg tunnel/bulkhead off his hands along with some misc. parts. I'll DEFINITELY be needing help then! I want a kick ***, reliable sled by next winter without dropping $8-$10 k on a new sled and I don't see too many negative things about this particular year/model. Just getting old. So far I've painted hood black, removed ACCS, installed new throttle cables/sync carbs, new jets and needles, removed 2 set of bogie wheels and spun the other ones around so black is out, waiting on Wildchild post and top end rebuild kit, and cleaned the crap out of the motor/inside of belly pan. Clutch is still intimidating me. It's fun taking these things apart and putting em back together. Thanks again for the help, I knew that head had problems!

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
Pistons and gaskets are here. Going on one more ride Monday and then diving in. Are there any particular tools I will need for replacing the pistons/rings? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Sorry that lead for the stock '98 head didn't pan out for you. There usually is someone selling good after market heads on here. Thought I saw a hymark head awhile ago in the engine section, they are a great head for the 700.

I brought the ad for the hymark head ttt for you, have a look, the guy even has the factory writeup about it in the ad. I ran a hymark head on a '98 engine and was vey happy with it.

Last edited:

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
Found a cylinder head and a boost bottle. I got the carb boots off and the screw is like a jet from a carb. Do the holes in the top of the screw need to line up with the hole in the fitting on the line coming into the boot? If so, how do you possibly line it up?
Also my reeds are soaking with gas and it just smells real strong of gas. Is this normal? Thanks again.

Premium Features