• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat Kitty Cat Mods

J
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have a 1991 "parts" Kitty Cat that I am thinking of doing the following mods to; 3" lift kit, shave the head for 10:1 compression, mild port, Mikuni 20 or 22MM carb, custom made exhast (cut down dirtbike pipe maybe). My goal is to have a mountain trail capable machine... one that will go through more than 2" of snow. What are people's thoughts/ideas/input?
Is it even worth the time and effort building a "mod" Kitty? Should I ditch the stock 2 stroke 60cc Suzuki for a Honda GX200 4-stroke?

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I would start on long tracking a Snow Scoot. These seem to cover a couple years of riding time for a kid. I think the Kitty Kat would be for a single season before the kid out grows it.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I'd love to find a sno-scoot for my kids but they are tough to find! Just bought my little guy a 120 and he was pretty good on it this past year. He's 3. Hopefully I can get a few more years out of it with only a few mods before he needs an upgrade.
For my 9yr old I've decided to try and find a Citation/Tundra/Freestyle for her. Seems like the newer Freestyle is going for what Sno-Scoots are still going for. So my not go newer. Although I've also kicked around an older mid to late 70's RV or El Tigre too. Or find one of those needle in a haystack IndyLites that have all but disappeared in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
So I realized I never did answer your question. For what you want to do, you are on the right path for sure. Doing the lift is a big deal for being able to get thru a little bit of snow. Another reason is the lack of rear suspension travel.
In fun news...Holtzman made a 1.5hp shot of nitrous for the 60cc's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Haha,
Last october, 200lb rider, stock 85 kitty.
7c652206d8e2bbfa89f15da5cb6d82c4.jpg

8yr old grandson this last spring.
7b1f97708e67e2a13f253f1d6c98b21b.jpg

Lift it and keep it for a few years.
I've had mine for over 20yrs, its gone through the kids and now grandkids.

GS6

J
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks Olyman. I know about all the simple free or cheap mods like gearing change, bearing boggie, zip-tying the govenor etc.... I'm looking at trying to get between 7 and 10HP out of the stock 60cc Suzuki engine. I am interested in who does good machine work (porting, polishing) and who knows what combination of parts work

J
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So the head and cylinder are out for porting and polishing. Using a guy 5min away from my house that was recommended from Ken Baker, Asian guy from Ontario who has 20yrs experience building drag and ice racers out east, pretty pumped to see how it turns out!

I need to gather up the parts I need now and start getting the chassis back together. Does anyone know where a person could pick up a rolling chassis 120 or 120 with a blown motor? I still would like to put a 120 skid under the Kitty Cat. Also where could a person pickup a Mikuni VM20 or 22 carb in Alberta?

20160716_175326.jpg 20160716_175627.jpg 20160711_223834.jpg

Last edited:
J
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reeb if the 120 doesn't cut it powerwise for your little guy, drop in a 6.5HP Honda GX200 and check out www.affordablegokarts.com, everything under the sun is available for them. Used Honda GX200s go for between $100 to $200 on Kijiji. Decent number available here in Alberta too.

Like you I am debating wether to sell the Scoot and get a newer sled in the 200 to 300cc range or throw a newer skid under an older sled like a Yamaha Enticer.

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Ya we've done quite a few GX200's. Pays to have worked in Honda shops over the years.

I just know that once you add power the hold back is the rear skid. They need to have a shock to dampen the bouncing that extra speed brings. So you put in a upgraded skid to transfer the power(new drivers too) which means you should upgrade the drivetrain, and if I'm going that way I'm flipping the chaincase and installing a jackshaft. Which means new clutches. Go that far and now the front end is holding you back, so new shocks and skis are the very least. Might as well widen it too. But damn, you did all this work you might as well have lengthened the track which means tunnel and suspension rails....all that's left now is to update the steering and seat....and before you know it you have a Mini that costs the same as a slightly used 800.

I really want to start updating and upgrading the 120 but on the other hand I know my money will be better spent on a wheel kit so my boy can get some use of his sled in the summer too. Sell it when he's outgrown it and move on. As much as I want to mod it out, I just can't bring myself to start the process because once I start I won't stop. He'll get a updated clutch and gears when he's ready for some more speed. But that's all I'm gonna let myself do. I'll build him a kickbutt fan-cooled mountain sled in a few years instead.

J
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Very good points Reeb! I'll just save the time and money for a bigger fan or small liquid cooled sled for her instead:cool:.
Have you had any experience with the Sno-Scoots? I'm still debating wether I just sell it and get a 250 or bigger sled for her...

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The Scoot is a good transition sled, something fun. However you'll only see a year out of it before they want more. I'd love to have one just to have one for our backyard shenanigans.

I found an Indy Lite for my 9yr old that will be getting some upgrades after this first winter on it. She won't be ready for a upgraded version this year, not to mention I bet I'll be fixing some bumpers etc anyways while she gets used to the bigger sled.

Premium Features