• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 800 rmk trenching.

S
Feb 8, 2010
Hey guys I have a 2000 800 rmk, and most of the guys I ride with run 04 to new sleds so we go into the powder. My problem is my sled digs ditches, it wont get up in the deep stuff. I have a 144 so thats still short I know, but what things could I try to help? Last year I got on a 700 same year that worked great but he had no idea what was done to his sled. Any help would be great, Thanks.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
It could be the shock pressure on the front end.. I'd say make sure your limiter strap is all the way out and I do believe you tighten up the shocks on the front end a bit, however I have no idea as to how much.
Hope this helps.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Is your front, rear skid shock equipped with an adjustable spring? It would have a threaded spring adjuster on it.

Even if it doesn't, put it in the laid down position, top mount should be below the cross shaft. If the spring is adjustable, loosen it up until it is just barely contacting the spring then put 1-2 turns of tension on it, just enough to keep the spring/retainer on the shock.

Try that.

Do you know what 144 track is on it? It has to be a replacement, the 2000 RMK didn't come with a 144.

sled_guy

S
Feb 8, 2010
First, thanks guys. No the front shock doesn't adjust, and it has a take off 144 track, don't know what year, got it that way, the paddles are kind of narrow. My old xlt hooks up better

N
Jan 10, 2011
montana
sorry to hijack.
my sled likes to dig holes too ive got a 99 with the extra lite skid and 144 the guy that had it before me did all this ive been told to tighten the limiter strap and to loosen it what realy is the best? i feel less aproach angle ie. tightening straps less trenching others say loosen straps helps you get out of the snow better but that would make your aproach angle steeper wouldent it? also i have a fox shock out of a pro x skid with adjustable spring that im gunna put in my skid do i want that real stiff or loose? i know somebody on here can set me straight lol

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You want the limitter as long as possible IF you soften the front/rear shock up as much as possible on the preload. So put your shock in, sping the spring retainer up til it touches the spring, then put 1-2 turns on the retainer just enough to keep the spring on. Then put it in the laid down mounting position and loosen the limiter up.

The 'static' approach angle will be steep, but that doesn't mean squat... its what happens when you sit on the sled and apply power, which with that front end lose as possible will allow it to colapse and climb up on the snow.

sled_guy

N
Jan 10, 2011
montana
You want the limitter as long as possible IF you soften the front/rear shock up as much as possible on the preload. So put your shock in, sping the spring retainer up til it touches the spring, then put 1-2 turns on the retainer just enough to keep the spring on. Then put it in the laid down mounting position and loosen the limiter up.

The 'static' approach angle will be steep, but that doesn't mean squat... its what happens when you sit on the sled and apply power, which with that front end lose as possible will allow it to colapse and climb up on the snow.

sled_guy

ok so i want to go all the way loose on the limiter strap and put the front shock spring as light as posible i already have the rear springs as soft as they can go with those little cams but thats the way to go then?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Yes, and put the top shock in the mount hole below the top shaft, laying it down as much as possible. You want the front of the rear skid as "mushy" as possible for deep powder.

Note however, that this isn't the best trail setup and will make the sled wander a bit and not feel like its "under" you when trail riding it.

sled_guy

N
Jan 10, 2011
montana
Yes, and put the top shock in the mount hole below the top shaft, laying it down as much as possible. You want the front of the rear skid as "mushy" as possible for deep powder.

Note however, that this isn't the best trail setup and will make the sled wander a bit and not feel like its "under" you when trail riding it.

sled_guy

ok i looked at it today and i didnt see any holes to mount the shock lower than it is i did see an extra set of holes for the limmiter strap and that is in the lowest position to give the most slack. but yeah no extra set of holes for the shock that i saw, i dont realy care how it rides on the trail as im never realy on a trail so im ok with me doin things that might make it suck on the trail as long as it works in the powder good thanks for your help sled guy i appreciate man

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
SLP made a shock relocation kit to lay down this front shock. I do not see it on thier website anymore though. Good luck

Yeah, they stopped making it a while back. I see them pop up on ebay once in a while.

Yeah, my mistake... they didn't put that lower mount location on the 00/01 sleds.

Soften the front spring up as much as possible and go from there.

sled_guy

N
Jan 10, 2011
montana
ok i finished up my carb boots today and im gunna do the front shock tonight like you said sled guy, also i was playin with the idea of porting the track whats your take on this? any real gain in doin it?

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
porting the track does nothing for floatation, track lube and/or cooling and reducing spun weight although it may structurally weaken the track. Complete waste of time. 2000 rmk came with the 136. If i recall it wasnt until the 2001 Snow Check Special that introduced the 151. You're on the right track with weight transfer. The only other thing to keep in mind is throttle control.

Last edited:
N
Jan 10, 2011
montana
ok i was just checkin i would hate to ruin my track cuz i got after it with a hole saw lol i just know it was a big fad a while back and didnt know what the real bennies were if any, its brand a new camoplast 144 so i think i will leave it alone and just play with the strap and spring tension like you guys said thanks again guys!

N
Jan 10, 2011
montana
well went riding all weekend after i did the shock swap and set the tention on the front as soft as it could go limmiter all the way out and all i can say is what a difference, it a whole new animal now its only a 144 so i dont expect much from it but it was going aveywhere my two buddys were on there 163" sleds eccept on hills but it was climbing right with a 155 skidoo xp so i was more than happy with it. thanks for the pointers guys

Premium Features