• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.6 vs X3

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
looking for feed back how these 2 tracks compare..

trying something new this year on my XM back up sled..

155/15/2.6 VS 156/15/3 X3

all things being equal
mountain only
170 hp 800
near stock weight
general boondocking

thanks for any input-BJ

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Been awhile since I have see your name! My old SHR860 XP!

They are the same track with the lug height being different.

The 2.6 hooks much better in hard pack and normal snow conditions but also feels slipperier in a wheelie if that makes since?

The 3" keeps on digging and does better in the deep but trenches a bit more. I have seen both coming apart in different ways so not sure which one is stronger but my 3" lasted a season in a half where the 2.6 I have seen lasting one season.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
dont mind a little trenching if it keeps climbing...

from what I have seen the X3 does lift more than trench and of course the 2.6 does the same but will not out climb said 3"...

fair assesment?? thanks-BJ

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Coming from a boosted 3" I would say yes. With that said the 2.6 does better in most normal conditions.

I will be running the 2.6 next season just to get a better opinion myself. many top Pro riders swear by the 2.6. I love the 3 but will give it a go for a season.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
BTW, the X3 is NOT the same track as the Series 7 3" track. The lugs on the Series 6 2.6 and Series 7 are the same, except longer. The X3 track has a different lug. I also believe that the 2.6 is a dual durometer, and the series 7 is a single durometer. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

The OP is asking about the X3 for his XM, which is what I would choose. More durable and a slightly better climber. I've got the X3 on my Pro. Love it.

I'll be upgrading to a turboed 163" after next season and plan to go with the 2.6 for the belt drive. But for an XM, I'd do the X3.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Whoops! Did not see X3! Yes X3 is completely different and a MUCH better track. It is is heavier but IMO a much better track.

Ran it for 2 seasons on a boosted Pro with zero damage. It did not like hard pack but did awesome every where else.

I would take a X3 over just about every tack...

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Whoops! Did not see X3! Yes X3 is completely different and a MUCH better track. It is is heavier but IMO a much better track.

Ran it for 2 seasons on a boosted Pro with zero damage. It did not like hard pack but did awesome every where else.

Agree on the X3.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota

plan is remove every other clip on the X3 to drop 3 lbs and add clips to the 2.6 to ensure reliabilty (I know weird but both mods are OK) so final weights will be very close...

had a feeling the X3 would get the nod...

any more input is always welcome-BJ

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I was never that wild about the 155 X3 on my Pro. I would say it outclimbed the stock 2.4, but with 7 tooth/lower 2.4~ish gearing it just turned it into a tractor. Slow but seemed to go about anywhere. Would make a hell of a trench. The cost vs. performance just didnt do it for me.

I love the 2.6 on my axys, just works really well in all conditions, and gets on the snow great. Apples to Oranges though, 2 totally different sleds and setups. Based on what I experienced I would go 2.6.

Setup is huge, which I know you are aware of. I think I may have liked the X3 better in either the 163 length for added floatation or a little more power to keep it singing and give a little more lift in the deep, which the Etec may have.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I was never that wild about the 155 X3 on my Pro. I would say it outclimbed the stock 2.4, but with 7 tooth/lower 2.4~ish gearing it just turned it into a tractor. Slow but seemed to go about anywhere. Would make a hell of a trench. The cost vs. performance just didnt do it for me.

I love the 2.6 on my axys, just works really well in all conditions, and gets on the snow great. Apples to Oranges though, 2 totally different sleds and setups. Based on what I experienced I would go 2.6.

Setup is huge, which I know you are aware of. I think I may have liked the X3 better in either the 163 length for added floatation or a little more power to keep it singing and give a little more lift in the deep, which the Etec may have.

thinking a 156/170 hp/set up skid, chassis should balance it out well...

cant trench any worse than the DOO track:face-icon-small-win

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Heres an idea, try both and report back for us :face-icon-small-hap
Either should be plenty easy to get rid of.

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
2.6 easy. Sould be an easy 8lb lighter. Adding extra clips is not required imo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
2.6 " gets my vote also, it just gets up and goes the X3 trenches down and then goes. The X3 is better in the end of the climb with more traction for turn outs. But makes the sled feel heavy. Just my opinion.

N

nate18

Jan 3, 2009
Heybigjohn, if you decide to go with the 2.6 I have one off a 2017 pro RMK that I swapped out after 400 miles. Swapped it out because it was wearing...**** canned the suspension, track and drivers and went with Kmod and 3.2 track. If your going to clip it, it will probably be fine. I'm local and you have done some work for me in the past...If you want to take a look at it I can swing by..would give you a heck of a deal just to get it out of my garage :face-icon-small-hap hit me up with a pm if you want. Thanks

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Heybigjohn, if you decide to go with the 2.6 I have one off a 2017 pro RMK that I swapped out after 400 miles. Swapped it out because it was wearing...**** canned the suspension, track and drivers and went with Kmod and 3.2 track. If your going to clip it, it will probably be fine. I'm local and you have done some work for me in the past...If you want to take a look at it I can swing by..would give you a heck of a deal just to get it out of my garage :face-icon-small-hap hit me up with a pm if you want. Thanks

having great customers over the years is ALWAYS beneficial:present:

ended up with Mikes 2.6 that is slightly damaged but adding clips will solve the problem (WHY POO does not clip the LUG is the DUMBEST thing ever IMHO) she is good to go!!

now I have 2 POO tracks for my DOO:face-icon-small-sho

2.1 assault for trail riding and the 2.6 for the mountains, same drivers (2.86 AVIDS) minor gear/clutching and the the old XM will work just fine in all conditions as a solid back up whip!!

thank you for all the input/advice-BJ

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
plan is remove every other clip on the X3 to drop 3 lbs and add clips to the 2.6 to ensure reliabilty (I know weird but both mods are OK) so final weights will be very close...

had a feeling the X3 would get the nod...

any more input is always welcome-BJ

I'm thinking you could remove the clips from the non-lug windows of the 2.6 and add the, to the lugged windows. The lugged windows are where the load is transferred to the rail.

Premium Features