• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Lead in"

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
2013 pro rmk 800. Working on clutch alignment. Using SLP 20-191 bar.

Lead in is the amount of space between the driven clutch and the bar at the REAR measurement? As in .010" MORE space at the rear?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I've always seen them touch at the rear of the secondary and a slight gap at the front of the secondary, compensating for the twist from the torque of the engine on the mounts.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I've always seen them touch at the rear of the secondary and a slight gap at the front of the secondary, compensating for the twist from the torque of the engine on the mounts.
Hmmm... the instructions for this 191 bar say the opposite. And I believe it to be correct. Maybe I could sum it up this way: What is lead in?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Pretty sure you're right Bryce. Did you even get instructions for the Pro specific with this tool? Thought they stopped that since the Pro's aren't adjustable LOL.

Any how, .010" difference is pretty "square" (haven't seen that). Most I have checked were between 60 and 90 thou. "lead in". I'm at .070" and need to remove the motor to change it.
Some call this alignment too and not to be confused with off set.

If you have a SLP torque stop, It changes this movement too.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Yeah instructions for Pro chassis say to have .168" clearance at front and .263" clearance at rear of driven. Assuming the bar is straight, that would be .095" difference aka "lead in"?

e96e86710858fb00b583ca00c477c8c2.jpg

Pretty sure you're right Bryce. Did you even get instructions for the Pro specific with this tool? Thought they stopped that since the Pro's aren't adjustable LOL.

Any how, .010" difference is pretty "square" (haven't seen that). Most I have checked were between 60 and 90 thou. "lead in". I'm at .070" and need to remove the motor to change it.
Some call this alignment too and not to be confused with off set.

If you have a SLP torque stop, It changes this movement too.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Geo you saw pics from my last trip...
fc9377dc107fac1f950c84807afffc01.jpg

Now with TRS setup that's what it looked like. Motor outta alignment of course my fault! Broke down and bought the SLP 191 bar. I measured .263" gap (perfect) at the rear and .180" gap (too little) at the front. Would this being off by .012" be enough to leave those belt marks? That's .083" lead in as I understand it, BUT with the motor misaligned.

The second day I took a shim out from behind the driven to let the clutch float IN a little more. In my mind, letting the clutch "split the difference" between the front/rear of the driven. Butt dyno felt a lot better but who knows....

Now yesterday I put in new motor mounts on the PTO side and now I have .206" rear and .148" front. That's .058" lead in. Just need to take some shim out from behind driven clutch and I should be close. Right?

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Geo you saw pics from my last trip...
fc9377dc107fac1f950c84807afffc01.jpg

Now with TRS setup that's what it looked like. Motor outta alignment of course my fault! Broke down and bought the SLP 191 bar. I measured .263" gap (perfect) at the rear and .180" gap (too little) at the front. Would this being off by .012" be enough to leave those belt marks? That's .083" lead in as I understand it, BUT with the motor misaligned.

The second day I took a shim out from behind the driven to let the clutch float IN a little more. In my mind, letting the clutch "split the difference" between the front/rear of the driven. Butt dyno felt a lot better but who knows....

Now yesterday I put in new motor mounts on the PTO side and now I have .206" rear and .148" front. That's .058" lead in. Just need to take some shim out from behind driven clutch and I should be close. Right?

Using the SLP 191 bar.
AXYS should be around .140" gap at front of secondary.
PRO should .100" gap at the front of secondary.
Are you running the full TRS setup now?
How is your belt deflection?

Last edited:

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
AXYS should be around .140" at front of secondary.
PRO should .100" at the front of secondary.
Are you running the full TRS setup now?
How is your belt deflection?
It's a Pro. Yeah full setup. Belt deflection was loose at end of last trip. Trying to get everything set better now for this trip.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
.100" gap with SLP 191 bar? Instructions say .168"?

Not doubting, just clarifying.

If .100" at front, how much at rear?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
.100" gap with SLP 191 bar? Instructions say .168"?

Not doubting, just clarifying.

If .100" at front, how much at rear?

I like .100" to .130" at the rear.
Without pulling the engine and blueprinting alignment, you can't change lead in. Hope this helps. FYI I did a thread on aligning the PRO engine.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Filing shims....

Very close now.

SLP 191 bar
Have .105" at front of driven and .163" at rear of driven.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Kinda weird those instructions Bryce. In '13 when I bought my tool from SLP the instructions were .241" and .321", Float the same.
I didn't catch Tony's instructions until middle of this season so I phoned SLP. I kinda thought from the response that the don't make recommendations for the Pro with this tool anymore and basically they said the setup isn't really adjustable and just split the float (like you did) and make it a total of .125".

Anyhow, I followed Tony's recommendations (we Poo guys are real lucky to have a TRS on SW) and my sheaves are clean and belt temps way down.
Since then I've done 2 Pros and one Axys for buds who ride a lot and all were so happy with the reduced maintenance and cooler belts that they dropped a case of Stella off to tell me lol.

Should be a specs sticky to end discussions IMO.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Kinda weird those instructions Bryce. In '13 when I bought my tool from SLP the instructions were .241" and .321", Float the same.
I didn't catch Tony's instructions until middle of this season so I phoned SLP. I kinda thought from the response that the don't make recommendations for the Pro with this tool anymore and basically they said the setup isn't really adjustable and just split the float (like you did) and make it a total of .125".

Anyhow, I followed Tony's recommendations (we Poo guys are real lucky to have a TRS on SW) and my sheaves are clean and belt temps way down.
Since then I've done 2 Pros and one Axys for buds who ride a lot and all were so happy with the reduced maintenance and cooler belts that they dropped a case of Stella off to tell me lol.

Should be a specs sticky to end discussions IMO.
Did u move the motor for perfect alignment or just set the front edge of driven at .100"?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Not yet. I'm a little slow and just got the offset right lol.

Bin waiting for the Poo to "blow up" but at 4500 miles I'll have to look at things this summer.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Bump.

Has anyone had any success adjusting lead in the way the manual says? By loosening the motor mounts and the two torx screws, wiggling it, and then retightening in the correct order.

I been wiggling the motor for three hours and can't seem to get anything out of it. My season starts this weekend; picking up where I left off last year, which was the full TRS setup for NA. Didn't run that great last time, I think because my lead in is .050-.100" depending on how I hold the alignment tool.

Premium Features