• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Scotch brite on gasket surface. Did I screw up?

N
Jan 24, 2016
Northern Norway
Hello,

I'n currently rebuilding my 13 Pro RMK 800 engine with Wössner pistons, etc.

I used a nylonpad made of polyamide with grit 280 to clean off gasket surfaces.

Now, I guess this nylonpad is the same stuff as Scotch Brite, and I'm seeing a lot of people saying it might ruin your engine, due to particles from the nylon getting into bearings and then over time grinding them away, resulting in engine failure.

Did I screw up? Kinda worried right now. Gonna attach a picture I took a couple of hours ago, showing how good that stuff works :p

IMG_8335.jpg

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Looks nice. Being block is out just wash with hot soapy water and compressed air.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
As long as you flush it out it should be fine.
The other thing to watch is taking off to much material, especially since it's aluminum.
It doesn't necessarily need to be shiny to be clean.
Most gaskets these days are pretty forgiving.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Definitely should not use any abrasives on the gasket surfaces on the bottom of the cylinders . Or any of the surfaces for that matter. I use a new straight razor blade very delicately for the big pieces left behind. Then gasket remover after that with a rag. Sometimes there is still a shadow of the print left behind but that's totally ok as long as the actual gasket is gone. Sanding on the top of the case with the engine open is probably the worst idea

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Replace that exhaust gasket with a SS one and you will never need the scotchbrite pad to clean again.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Definitely should not use any abrasives on the gasket surfaces on the bottom of the cylinders . Or any of the surfaces for that matter. I use a new straight razor blade very delicately for the big pieces left behind. Then gasket remover after that with a rag. Sometimes there is still a shadow of the print left behind but that's totally ok as long as the actual gasket is gone. Sanding on the top of the case with the engine open is probably the worst idea

Spray surface with gasket cleaner
And carefully clean with PLASTIC razor blade
Applies to any alumn sealing surface

Premium Features