• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 RMK 800

B
Jan 2, 2017
I have a 2002 Polaris rmk 800 and for some reason unknown it won't start. I keep pulling and pulling but it doesn't start. Took plugs out and cleaned them and put a little gas in the plugs. It acted like it wanted to start but never turned over. Please any suggestions.

R
Nov 16, 2016
Carbureted sled engines that have been sitting for a while may have undergone fuel bowl evaporation.
If so, rather than priming directly into the cylinder, try priming into the throttle bores and a bit more aggressively.
A small gasoline safe syringe works well for this.

As for spark..... you want to look for a whitish/blue spark..... not a yellowish spark.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Fuel pumps require some retinkering when it takes more than one pull to start it. Basically, inside of the fuel pump are two clear plastic nickel sized diaphragms/valves. You flip the two clear plastic diaphragms over so that the smooth side is then in contact with the metal rim around it's edge. Currently, the flapping of those clear plastic diaphragms has roughened the face that contacts the metal rim. This roughness causes a poor seal and poor pressure that produces the fuel flow.

You might also disconnect the temperature sensor and stick a bare wire into each contact of the end of the connection that you just separated. This takes a possible defective sensor out of the loop, which would otherwise keep the engine from starting or cause it to run poorly as it warms up.

T
Oct 8, 2009
I have a 2002 Polaris rmk 800 and for some reason unknown it won't start. I keep pulling and pulling but it doesn't start. Took plugs out and cleaned them and put a little gas in the plugs. It acted like it wanted to start but never turned over. Please any suggestions.

I know this may sound stupid, but is the kill switch in the kill position? I have seen this more than once in my lifetime. Especially if the sled was shut off that way and then sat for some time.

Premium Features