• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PIDD not working

P
Sep 27, 2009
Hi!

My PIDD (Polaris interactive digital display) has stopped working. It first started to act up and flicker when booting. I would restart sled and the display would work again. But now its black all the time. Tried to supply 12v dc with a batteri to the "Gauge pwr test" connector above left shocktower, the display works fine then. But not when i fire up the sled. Tried ohm measuring the stator, seems fine at 0,3 ohms. Also tried measuring the hood connector and have good volt readings there when sled is running. Anyone have wiring diagrams for the 2016 axys they would like to share? would help alot..

Anyone else have any ideas what may be the problem? Almost every connector and relays checked and are looking good.

Thanks

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Hi!

My PIDD (Polaris interactive digital display) has stopped working. It first started to act up and flicker when booting. I would restart sled and the display would work again. But now its black all the time. Tried to supply 12v dc with a batteri to the "Gauge pwr test" connector above left shocktower, the display works fine then. But not when i fire up the sled. Tried ohm measuring the stator, seems fine at 0,3 ohms. Also tried measuring the hood connector and have good volt readings there when sled is running. Anyone have wiring diagrams for the 2016 axys they would like to share? would help alot..

Anyone else have any ideas what may be the problem? Almost every connector and relays checked and are looking good.

Thanks

Check your private messages

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Most common reason for no power to gauges, both mfd and pidd, is the relay on the bulkhead cross member. There are two relays there and they are susceptible to water intrusion and or corrosion. Pull the relays, clean contacts, and reinstall. Also, if you have access, switch out relays with known good ones.

See if that works.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Most common reason for no power to gauges, both mfd and pidd, is the relay on the bulkhead cross member. There are two relays there and they are susceptible to water intrusion and or corrosion. Pull the relays, clean contacts, and reinstall. Also, if you have access, switch out relays with known good ones.

See if that works.

I agree with Murph here, check the relays. I would also take it a bit further and check all the wiring harness connectors at the hood, headlight, IDD, voltage regulator and capacitors. There maybe as many as 5 capacitors located on the left side of the airbox next to the gas tank. There is also an oil pump diode located on the main harness near the brake caliper. Unplug and re-plug all connectors, diodes and capacitors. Start the sled and observe the headlight for flickering as well as the IDD. If you still have a problem then most likely one of those components (capacitors, voltage regulator or diodes) is bad. If you have an Ohm meter you can check the diode and capacitors (search procedure on internet). The next thing would be changing the voltage regulator. Last resort is taking it to the dealer.

Good luck,

Cinno

P
Sep 27, 2009
I agree with Murph here, check the relays. I would also take it a bit further and check all the wiring harness connectors at the hood, headlight, IDD, voltage regulator and capacitors. There maybe as many as 5 capacitors located on the left side of the airbox next to the gas tank. There is also an oil pump diode located on the main harness near the brake caliper. Unplug and re-plug all connectors, diodes and capacitors. Start the sled and observe the headlight for flickering as well as the IDD. If you still have a problem then most likely one of those components (capacitors, voltage regulator or diodes) is bad. If you have an Ohm meter you can check the diode and capacitors (search procedure on internet). The next thing would be changing the voltage regulator. Last resort is taking it to the dealer.

Good luck,

Cinno

Tried with a new voltage regulator. That didn't solve the issue. When i measure the + to the gauge i only get 2v at startup and it then slowly rises when the sled idles to about 10v after a couple minutes. Any ideas?

P
Sep 27, 2009
Have tried every diode. They are all good... have removed all three relays and tried switching them around. All of those seem good too. Disconnected the 5 capacitors on the left side of the airbox. My Fluke 28 said OL and dISc in auto mode on all of those?? Measured the small blue capacitor on the right side above brake disc. It was 104,4 nF.. tried starting the sled once again after all of this. Had the fluke connected to the "gauge pwr test". Had 14vdc and the gauge started booting for about 2 seconds. Then the gauge went black and the voltage started to bounce between 6,5vdc and OL on multimeter... any ideas???

george

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Any of you have luck in finding out this issue? Mine just did the same, while riding the headlight started to flicker, then the gauge went black. I have checked every connection and put dielectric grease on then, checked grounds, etc. No luck. Put power to the display connector and it lights up and i can navigate thru the screens. (not electric start). Checked capacitors and all hold a charge, diodes all tested good, all three relays tested good. The only thing i haven't done is ohme out the harness (need schematic for that). Off warranty now, of course, dealer says IDD is failed (over the phone) $1000.00 for a new one. I cannot see that the display is toast if it powers up through the 2 pin connector. I'll try an update and a reboot using this connector and see if that works. Any other ideas are welcome.
Anyone have a wiring schematic, if not I can trace the wires and figure it out.

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem! Gauge works when pluged in to the two prong test plug but is just black when sled is running. It worked fine up until last weekend. Headlights and everything else still work fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
R

rmk01r1der

Apr 30, 2008
ND
My PIDD did the same thing last winter after trailering it home from the mountains. Tried multiple things but nothing worked so ended up taking it to the dealer. They sent it in to Polaris and they just ended up sending a new unit. Sounded like they have no idea why they just crap out. Without warranty these sleds sure would get expensive quick.

Z
Dec 19, 2019
Mine did the same ... black screen. Where ca i find a shop manual with wiring diagram? Also where is the 2 prong plug to power up the gages. Tia

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

J
Nov 25, 2019
Pidd shat the bed the other day…..
Went out for a trail ride with a friend to test out his new sled and my Pidd and head light stopped working. After a bit the headlight started working again and still works. While in revelstoke Monday and Tuesday the Pidd would power up for a few min then die.

I changed the relay( Velcro bag above clutch ), tried changing the gauge and I Stole the hood off a friends sled and nothing has worked.

Hoping someone has some suggestions.

J
Nov 25, 2019
Pidd shat the bed the other day…..
Went out for a trail ride with a friend to test out his new sled and my Pidd and head light stopped working. After a bit the headlight started working again and still works. While in revelstoke Monday and Tuesday the Pidd would power up for a few min then die.

I changed the relay( Velcro bag above clutch ), tried changing the gauge and I Stole the hood off a friends sled and nothing has worked.

Hoping someone has some suggestions.
Found that the stator and voltage regulator connections are both a bit melted. Nothing too major but it could be the issue.

J
Nov 25, 2019
Put a friends hood on my sled( regular gauge/display ) and his gauge wouldn’t turn on, Installed my hood on his sled and my Pidd works…????
Dropping the sled off at the doctors today to have a few other things looked at. Hopefully he can figure this out.

J
Nov 25, 2019
Just got my sled back from the doctor.

Replaced the stator, voltage regulator and caps for plug wires. Pidd still wasn’t working. Mechanic found an issue with the dc voltage supply…..Pidd works again.
Also discovered the servo for the exhaust valves wasn’t working properly.

Premium Features