• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AXYS Track Wear

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My dealer told me that my track was wearing prematurely and tried to get warranty but as expected, Polaris denied the claim.

The problem is that Polaris has made some poor decisions when making the 2.6" and 3" tracks. They unclipped every second window and that combined with losing the outside guide nubs has allowed too much misalignment of these tracks. They also put the lugs under the unclipped windows so the load is transferred directly from the rubber to the hyfax and the rubber wears down until the track looses enough strength to break. (buddy broke his with more wear than mine). My 2015 does not have nearly as much wear as my 2016 and they both have around 2000 kms.

You can run your track banjo tight and this may help but I am now taking matters into my own hands. I will add 56 clips to the 163 track as the windows with clips look perfect. This will add 2 lbs.

Here is a picture of a track in worse shape than mine and a picture of the clips I will install

2016-04-01 15.11.56B.jpg 2016-04-19 09.55.58.jpg

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Has anyone compared and found the best price on the clips?
Does one also need a specially made tool to put them on with?
Be nice to know where the best place (In the USA) is to get both :)

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Has anyone compared and found the best price on the clips?
Does one also need a specially made tool to put them on with?
Be nice to know where the best place (In the USA) is to get both :)

Not sure if its the best place but if you ever call and talk to them on the phone about anything or ask them any questions you will sure think it's the best place. Every time I buy a track I call them and order it. I don't even shop around anymore because the customer service I get far outweighs any price savings (if any) I might get someplace else.

Anyway below is the link for the tool and clips.

http://www.tracksusa.com/Track-Clip...oductId=-441526&shopBy=-13276&catalogId=-3743

Makes me wonder if your local dealer might have the tool to borrow or rent you. Or it might be cheaper to just drop of your track and have them install the clips for what the tool might cost. Just a thought to check into anyway.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Proper track tension can have a lot to do with wear of this kind... if not tensioned enough... the leading edge of the unclipped window will wear faster than it should.... even/especially with extro/combo drivers.

The lightweight clips... I like to de-burr them before install... and again after crimp... easier on the hyfax.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
Proper track tension can have a lot to do with wear of this kind... if not tensioned enough... the leading edge of the unclipped window will wear faster than it should.... even/especially with extro/combo drivers.

The lightweight clips... I like to de-burr them before install... and again after crimp... easier on the hyfax.

While I appreciate your opinion, this is clearly not a track tension issue. I ran 4 pro ride sleds with no wear like this. Mine has been within spec for 900 miles, I adjusted it myself. There is something different with this track or skid and I'm not sure what it is but its not tension. Every used Axys I looked at in my dealers service area has this groove wear to some extent. The clips are probably the best fix, but Polaris needs to put their heads together and figure out whats going on....this IS NOT normal wear. I paid too much for this sh/t.

Last edited:
J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC

Why are you blaming the track tension?

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Completely agree that track tension is not the problem here whatsoever. Towing that Polaris line of not tightened to spec is getting old on this issue...

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Has anyone with this wear been successful getting warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but I had a shock come apart which put minor wear on the track and I was successful at getting that replaced under warranty, which imo that wear was more minor than this slide wear were all seeing.

sledneck322

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2013
ADK's
Every 2.6 in our group have tracks that look identical to the pics above and all have 500-700 miles. None of us will get anything from Polaris. One of our crew owns a big Polaris dealer too. The tracks will not make it another season. i will fully clip my 2017 before i ride it. I would like to see a poll on who has that kind of wear and who does not. I wonder if there is anyone without wear.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
It's a lot of "fun" clipping this track as the unclipped bars are where the lugs are located. This make it difficult to get a good tight crimp. I fully clipped mine last fall with similar clips, after installing them you "may" need to go through and flatten them out and then smooth the clip to hifax contact patch. Some of the clips will move around a little after flattening them out, but I went this season with no missing clips or track wear.

It was a stupid to clip the non-lugged windows on this track.......

Last edited:

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
On what grounds can Polaris deny these warranty claims. I've never seen wear like this. Anyone actually talk to Polaris and have them explain their reasoning for denying these claims? I don't get it.

Premium Features