• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Bog and Engine dying

Z
Sep 19, 2011
Hey guys. I tried searching my problem but I was not finding issues that were the same as mine. I have a 2010 Assault 800. While riding today the engine started bogging a bit, then it started to cut in and out. Almost like hitting a rev limiter. Then Finally it would die. Nothing dramatic, similar to if you hit the kill switch accidentally. If I fired it back up right away it would bog under throttle (not engage the belt) and die. I opened it up and changed the plugs. They were a little gross but not terrible. I changed them anyway. Fired it back up and with in a minute or so same issue. I let it sit for a while and started it back up. It ran for a little while and then same issue. It seems once it warms up it starts acting up. The dash display and headlight seem to cut out too when this issue arises. Even when its up in the RPMs and is not bogging or cutting in and out the display and light are out. I am thinking volt regulator or stator at the this point but I am not the best mechanic when it comes to diagnosing engine issues. Any advice is much appreciated.

Z
Sep 19, 2011
this sled is kinda new to me still, but does the voltage regulator control the ignition? I thought it only ran the headlights and dash.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
this sled is kinda new to me still, but does the voltage regulator control the ignition? I thought it only ran the headlights and dash.

My guess is the regulator also. The regulator on these sleds serve a dual purpose. Regulated AC feeds the lights and hand warmers and thumb warmer. Regulated DC supplies the ECU and console display. The ECU controls the fuel injectors so in a way you could say it controls the ignition by controlling the fuel. The actual spark is a function of the stator and ignition coils.

Premium Features