• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What could have caused this burn down?

C
Feb 20, 2008
So I'm looking at trading my 13 switchback assault 800 144x2 for a blown up turbo pro rmk 800 163x3". He sent me this pic, any suggestion to what would have caused this?

Last edited:

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Terrible detonation. Probably had bad gas or a bad tune. Example 1 why a "pump gas turbo" should always have race gas mixed in. If you can afford a turbo you can afford a few gallons of race gas per fill.

C
Feb 20, 2008
Terrible detonation. Probably had bad gas or a bad tune. Example 1 why a "pump gas turbo" should always have race gas mixed in. If you can afford a turbo you can afford a few gallons of race gas per fill.

I was thinking detonation as well. That's exactly why I always ad about 3gal of 100ll in my 860 pro.

Still on the fence if I should do the trade or not, would be cool to have a big bore and a turbo sled. :eyebrows:

Turboegt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2015
Super lean. Massive detonation.

My guess is new cylinder will be required.

Definitely gonna have to tear down the whole engine, and clean EVERYTHING before going back together.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Are both holes like that? How are the sides of the pistons? Any pics?

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Need lots more details. What year is the 163? What brand of turbo? If it's an Axys chassis, it might be worth considering. Otherwise, I'd walk away.

That pic alone doesn't tell much. Could be any combination of issues. Maybe just detonation, but maybe a bad crank seal, a bad bearing? How much is torn up? You won't know until you dig into it. So, absolutely expect to buy a long block. That's at least $2k, plus your time. How many miles on the turbo? A turbo sled can take a real beating and a used turbo is only worth half of new, at best. Personally, I'd never buy a used turbo sled unless I knew the previous owner and how they treated the sled.

Maybe you get lucky and only need to replace cylinders, but then you're still stuck with the question of why it happened in the first place. If it's a bad tune, you run the risk of just blowing it up again. If you want a dependable turbo sled, I'd start with a new one.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Need lots more details. What year is the 163? What brand of turbo? If it's an Axys chassis, it might be worth considering. Otherwise, I'd walk away.

That pic alone doesn't tell much. Could be any combination of issues. Maybe just detonation, but maybe a bad crank seal, a bad bearing? How much is torn up? You won't know until you dig into it. So, absolutely expect to buy a long block. That's at least $2k, plus your time. How many miles on the turbo? A turbo sled can take a real beating and a used turbo is only worth half of new, at best. Personally, I'd never buy a used turbo sled unless I knew the previous owner and how they treated the sled.

Maybe you get lucky and only need to replace cylinders, but then you're still stuck with the question of why it happened in the first place. If it's a bad tune, you run the risk of just blowing it up again. If you want a dependable turbo sled, I'd start with a new one.

^^^^^^^^
And the turbo may be junk also, debris definitely had an opportunity to go through the turbo.

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
Detonation/Pre ignition can be caused by a number of things, bad gas, timing, too much compression, not enough squish area if heads cut, cooling system malfunction, wrong spark plugs, leaky gaskets and or a combination of the above. In my experience if timing, compression and seals are good and you destroy the exhaust side of the piston it is usually lack of fuel. You need to be the detective and find out the CAUSE or put it back together and be in the same boat again. What did the other piston look like? Wash area? If your asking what caused this you should probable not take on the task of rebuilding it unless your looking to learn and have some knowledgeable help. We all have to start somewhere. Just dont want to see you do it twice. Ask me how i know, i have learned the hard way many times because i was over ambitious and lacking knowledge.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Premium Features