• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

550 burn down

S
Dec 31, 2016
new to the posting thing and this site seems to guided many people proly better than a service manual, so why not join. so here it goes. already had 01 550 love it runs great and ive never touched it. so I needed another, bought a 02 550 fanny (3500mile)blown up. hole melted right in the middle of mag piston. story I got was, when dude bought it had no compression(old pistons look like ring stuck) so he put spi pistons in it and it last 12 miles. burned hole middle of piston, my thoughts it was sucking air? so I torn into it and its finally going back together. Cleaned aluminum off cylinder wall and rehoned looks amazing for just burning down .0005" clearance with wiesco going back in it. cleaned bearings. new crank seals. going to clean carbs. what else is recommended so It don't toast again, not knowing why it did the first time........

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Assuming you mean .005" PTCW clearance? :face-icon-small-win

As Mark suggests, it could've been a partially plugged carb. You're on the right track if you're planning on completely disassembling & cleaning the carbs. Verify the correct jetting / calibrations for your altitude & temp. at the same time.

Drain & clean the fuel tank. Make sure the fuel hose inside the tank is in good shape & that the pick up strainer is clean. Have seen those in tank hoses fail(rotten / deteriorated) & send contamination down the line. As a result we installed in-line fuel filters on our machines as a safe guard.

Check the condition of the carb to cylinder adaptors.

Make sure the fuel is fresh & if at all suspect, dose with isopropyl alcohol. We lean burned a fresh engine that had water in fuel. Not cool.........

If it were mine I'd be pre-mixing(40:1) the first couple of tanks of fuel until the injection system is proven to be functioning properly. Might foul some plugs but far cheaper than another engine job.

Cleaned aluminum off cylinder wall and rehoned looks amazing for just burning down .0005" clearance with wiesco going back in it. cleaned bearings. new crank seals. going to clean carbs. what else is recommended so It don't toast again, not knowing why it did the first time........

S
Dec 31, 2016
I was thinking about replacing carb boots with news ones just to make sure. When I removed old boot there was no orings behind it,isn't there suppose to be oring? And who makes aftermarket quality boots? Spi i research don't last long. Polaris are pricey but I guess cheaper than another rebuild.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
According to the snip from the parts catalog below there should be o-rings between the adaptors & cylinders. If they were missing it could have caused a lean condition. Unless the rubber boot on the adaptor is cracked / torn or deformed, they can likely be reused.

Not sure on aftermarket adaptors. I've only used OEM.

FYI, if you are curious about any other parts related issues you can access the online Parts Catalog here: http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

It comes in very handy!

I was thinking about replacing carb boots with news ones just to make sure. When I removed old boot there was no orings behind it,isn't there suppose to be oring? And who makes aftermarket quality boots? Spi i research don't last long. Polaris are pricey but I guess cheaper than another rebuild.

550 Engine.jpg

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
do a little research here on snowest and look at some people were having problem with these sleds burning down on mag side think it needed a air duct kit or something like that

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
this was very common problem on edge 550s. Happened to my moms. the fix from polaris was an oil tank breather. the dealer installed it for us, at dad's expense:face-icon-small-fro
this was maybe the first model that experienced the infamous polaris oil tank breathing problem you might have read about on later 800s. I would search out what the pro800 owners were doing a few years ago, using a skidoo cap or taking apart the polaris cap or adding a vent somewhere, i cant remember. deffinetly mix the gas 100:1 and monitor the oil usage if nothing else. I love Babbit's online parts diagrams, and prices are sometimes cheaper than e-bay through them.

S
Dec 31, 2016
Stupid question but maybe someone answer. On the carb adapter, I understand it has only oring per microfiche but winderosa gasket set came with orings and intake gasket. When i took it apart previous owner had oring and gasket?? New orings don't feel like much squish when tighten down. What is correct ???

Premium Features