• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 switchback 900 lights/hand warmers

D
Nov 2, 2008
First off, I cannot for the life of me figure out the tail lights. 3 wires. Orange, yellow, and brown.
I spliced a power wire to the yellow and it lights up but not brake light, I can't get it to light no matter what.
I touched the 12v wire to orange and then the brake light on the dash comes on and turns off when I pull on the brake. I did the splice just for safety. Needed something lit up on the back of the rig.

On the handlebar side of things. I have tested the orange wire and has power When I ground it to the bars. It has nothing for power if I test the orange to brown connector. If I use a jumper wire between orange and brown, I still get nothing. I thought since it was grounded, it should have voltage.

I also changed out the brake switch with no cure.

Then the hand warmers have not power getting to them. The tiny lights are on next to the switches. I took apart the switch block internally. Looked pretty good.
I also ran power to the grips and spliced in an on/off switch. The heaters are set to medium. I changed one out as it had a burn through the plastic.

Is this a ground issue? I know of the main ground by the left footwell is good. Where else are ground wires.

Are all of these components hooked together or something?

Sorry I'm a rookie at this stuff. I know someone will come through for me.
Thanks all
Dman142

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Brown = ground
Yellow = running light
orange = brake light

The Diagram says there should be a brown, an orange and a red/white wires.

Check and make sure that everything is clean. Are you trying to add a LED rear light or something? If so then I believe you have to reverse polarity on them.

Last edited:
D
Nov 2, 2008
It's the stock taillight.

As far as I can tell, the red/white wires have no power. I've tested the extra bundle of red/w and brown, presumably for heated shield or extra 12v power. The red/w is always dead. Nothing. I'll check again today. I've checked a ton of connectors, followed wires, and can't see anything obvious. What do I do when the wires go into a huge taped bundle and then disappear?

I've taken off the seat and checked the wires. Maybe I'll do it again.
I just replaced the motor last spring, rode around the yard, and put it away.

I'm not afraid to dig in. I can do pretty much anything on the sled, so if I have to get deeper, I'll do it. This can't be that hard. Everything else is good. Bright lights, mfd works, no engine codes popping up.

And it's super frustrating that the stator has come loose 3 times in 10 miles. Sheared off the bolts, one flush with the case. Loctited them and still didn't hold. I checked all the wires and spliced in a few new wires since they got cut up when the stator came loose.

Is the hand warmer and rear lights not working, related to each other?
Dman

Last edited:

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
It's the stock taillight.

As far as I can tell, the red/white wires have no power. I've tested the extra bundle of red/w and brown, presumably for heated shield or extra 12v power. The red/w is always dead. Nothing. I'll check again today. I've checked a ton of connectors, followed wires, and can't see anything obvious. What do I do when the wires go into a huge taped bundle and then disappear?

I've taken off the seat and checked the wires. Maybe I'll do it again.
I just replaced the motor last spring, rode around the yard, and put it away.

I'm not afraid to dig in. I can do pretty much anything on the sled, so if I have to get deeper, I'll do it. This can't be that hard. Everything else is good. Bright lights, mfd works, no engine codes popping up.

And it's super frustrating that the stator has come loose 3 times in 10 miles. Sheared off the bolts, one flush with the case. Loctited them and still didn't hold. I checked all the wires and spliced in a few new wires since they got cut up when the stator came loose.

Is the hand warmer and rear lights not working, related to each other?
Dman

Sounds like you have harness issues elsewhere. To me it sounded like you were back at the tail light. Check and make sure all connections are correct and secure.

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Pretty sure your issue will be with dirty contacts for orange wires pressure fitted together within a white plug in front of the fuel tank.

Find the connector, unplug it, on the side with two orange wires coming into the same connector if you look closely you will find there are actually 2 blade pins sandwiched together, the problem is that the pins are corroded. If you look into the connector you will see wings on each the pins which when depressed will allow pin removal. Remove the pins, clean with sand paper or something of the like, apply dielectric grease and reinstall. That should get you up and running,

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/446-fusion/1205698-no-brake-light-2005-fusion-900-a.html

Premium Features