• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need opinion on a ST120 RAW with TSS vs a ST120

M
Dec 11, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I need opinion and experience from Timbersleder (if I can call it this way).

I have a 2014 KTM 450SXF Factory Edition and I'm seriously thinking about snowbiking this winter.

I initially when't to my dealer to get information about the ST120 RAW because of the great price they have on them. But the guy told me the suspension will be far from the normal ST120 in term of ride quality and adjustability. He also told me the lack of pivoting arm will be a big disadvantage.

He also told me the TSS fit kit is wonderful and completely change the way the snowbike turn and enhance the suspension a lot.

My local dealer have a used, 12 hours, 2015 Timbersled ST120 and a TSS rear shock fit kit that they can also sell separately.
6400$ CAN for the ST120, with the fit kit (seems a bit high to me)
900$ CAN for the TSS
5400$ CAN for the ST120 RAW, plus the fit kit witch is 400$

They will bring the used kit from the warehouse this week so I can see the condition and will try to get a better price but for now those are the price they gave me.

I can't buy the ST120 and a TSS but with the Raw I could probably save enough to buy the TSS. So what combo do you think should be the best? That's a luxury so I will not borrow money to pay the kit, making it even more a difficult choice :juggle:

Last edited:
M
Dec 11, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I forgot to say I know I will need to open/cut my airbox, add a Outerwear on the air filter for the snow and a Thermo Bob thermostat kit for the cooling system. Anything else?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Absolutely the RAW with possible TSS. If you bought that 2015 ST you also would be missing out on the 2.5 track which is a significant upgrade with the RAW. Yes you would be missing out on the pivot arm, but it isn't some game changing option. I think it's more of a comfort upgrade than backcountry expanding one.

You have a good bike, so toss that RAW on and upgrade to the TSS if you end up affording it. It would be an excellent setup.

S
Feb 12, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Rush 44 is 100 percent correct. The Raw kit will be superior to the 2015 kit. The convex track combined with half inch more paddle will out perform the 2015 TS kit. I know I had a 2015 TS 120 kit and when I rode the 2016 kit I had to upgrade. The pivot arm isn't as crucial now that we have convex tracks. IMO it maybe better not to have the pivot. I only got $4000.00 Canadian for my 2015 TS ST 120. And now with the Raw kit available (at a great price) I suggest to everyone who wants to get into this sport not mess around trying to get used 2015 kit. The track alone has made that much difference. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
S
Feb 12, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I didn't do the math on your options, because the 2016 and newer Timbersled kits are that much better. IMO the 2015 kits are only worth $3000.00 Canadian Tax included and fit kit included. Now someone is going to say why did I sell my 2015 kit for $4000 Canadian? Well at that time we were still in season and the 2017s and Raw weren't released yet. A friend of mine put a 129 2.5 track on his 2015 TS ST 120, and it works well (I think he did it before the TSS suspension was out). But know he wishes he got the 2016 kit.

The only other thing I would like to add is, talk to some guys that ride in the areas you will be riding. Se what they suggest, ask what they have. The reason is maybe you would like a long track. I used to be short track all the way, but now the newer kits with TSS are working well with longer tracks.

By the way IMO you have the best motorcycle for a snow bike. It is even better than the 2016 KTM.

Last edited:
Premium Features