• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtntk fix kit?

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I know that there is a lot of threads about the fix kits.
What I'd like to know is which one would you prefer to use.
Mtntk or Kelsey's (rk tek) or PMS
Is the wiesco piston better then the wossner ?
All do it a little differently I have pretty much made my mind up on which one to use but would like some input from guys who actually have some of these kits on their ride.

Also I still want to be able to use my par head with the kit I choose.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Wossner pistons are the upgrade, regardless of kit. Do a good install, warm them up, add some oil, they work and live longer and better.

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
I am big fan of MTNTK. Installed it twice already with no problems. As well, MTNTK provides awesome support over the phone. As well, they were first who tried solving this problem. They deserve respect for it. :yo:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
running MTN Tek kit and really not sure if it's noticeable or not but only ran it twice before end of the season.

Quality kit though for sure.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Since when did the PRO's need a fix it kit? If you going to put pistons in, go with a big bore, not just some lame fix it kit that is not needed. That's my opinion, use your money wisely.

S

snomac

Nov 26, 2007
Layton, Utah
I to am looking for a "fix it kit". I have 2000 miles on my boondocker turbo and feel its a good time to replace the Pistons before any issues arise. Does one kit work better for turbos? Thanks

O
Dec 6, 2007
Since when did the PRO's need a fix it kit? If you going to put pistons in, go with a big bore, not just some lame fix it kit that is not needed. That's my opinion, use your money wisely.

Since 2011 when the PRO was introduced, with a mildly changed but, badly flawed engine, it inherited from the Dragon. Where have you been?

I am sure we would all love a big bore, prices start at ~$2700 complete and go up to the Carls 900 rip off for $6000. Replacements for the CRAP stock pistons are around $400 in these fix kits. Makes a lot of sense to me...

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
MTNTK is sold by PMS. You can still use your PAR head with it. I have been to their shop and seen heads for both stock and PAR on their setups.
They also have the blowhole vent kit and turbos if. You want to get really wild with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Did you pay the $585? I want to freshen up the top end, but this is the back up sled the kids ride. RKTEK is $395 for just pistons. Can you get just pistons from Mtntk?

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I personally have seen the Weisco piston Fail three times on the same motor (2010 CFI-4 800 Dragon)... This was my sled that I sold to a friend and helped him rebuild it 4 times. Here is the story:
-First, I lost the stock pistons from I am guessing a lean or det issue. Burned a huge hole on the exhaust side of the piston. Then replaced the cylinder with a Millennium Tech reman, and installed the Weisco replacement piston kit.
-I sold it to a friend with the motor rebuilt 0 miles. He had the first failure with the Weisco stock replacement pistons, which was the infamous piston skirt snap failure which took out the whole motor in less than 250 miles.
-Then installed another cylinder (Another reman from Millennium Tech) with the Mtntk fix kit and repaired the hole in the crankcase from the piston skirt going through the case. Then, the fix kit cold seized (I'm assuming) even though the throttle wasn't touched until coolant temp was up to 125*. But he had to get on the throttle hard right from the trailer to climb a large mtn. So we were thinking that was the failure cause, cold seizure because it looked like the pistons swelled evenly and scored the cylinder.
-Then Mtntk did a warranty(props to them) on the pistons and those lasted about 500 miles. This time, we were very careful on warmup and throttle until it had been ran for an extended period of time. It seized the same way as before, but after riding all day. It all of a sudden squeaked both pistons. This time when we opened it up, the PTO rod bearing went out too.
-All the while it had the Dynotech PCV tune on it to prevent the infamous lean mid range condition. Obviously this was a lemon motor, but the fix kit and PCV still didn't fix the issue with that motor. I haven't had any experience with the Wossner pistons, but heard they are doing well.
This is my personal experience with forged pistons... Got real tired of rebuilding that ticking time bomb. Lets just say my buddy isn't riding that lemon anymore either.

Last edited:
O
Dec 6, 2007
I am curious as to what would make someone choose the $600 Mtntk fix over the $400 RkTek kit? Wiseco's have always been good but somewhat finiky pistons, RK claims the Wossners need no special treatment. He also lists the substantially lighter wieght of the redesigned Wossners. Do the Wiseco's wiegh much less than stock pistons as well? I also understand that RKT redesigned the piston to slightly improve port timing and there is rpm and power to be had just from the piston swap. I haven't heard that about the Mtntk kit.

Seems like the RKT is the better engineered kit for 50% less money. Just curious as to what motivated Mtntk buyers to pass over the RKT kit?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Rkt has 2 kits

Direct replacement pistons- No change in port timing $400ish

Drop in kit- Changes port timing, requires his head and adds power/rpm $800ish

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
Rkt has 2 kits

Direct replacement pistons- No change in port timing $400ish

Drop in kit- Changes port timing, requires his head and adds power/rpm $800ish

As well, what turned me away from RK Tek - they say after insatlling the Drop In Kit you cannot run synthetic oil. What the hell? I love synthetic! 800 km later, through spark plug hole, I still can read serial number on the top of Wiseco piston!

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
I personally have seen the Weisco piston Fail three times on the same motor (2010 CFI-4 800 Dragon)... This was my sled that I sold to a friend and helped him rebuild it 4 times. Here is the story:
-First, I lost the stock pistons from I am guessing a lean or det issue. Burned a huge hole on the exhaust side of the piston. Then replaced the cylinder with a Millennium Tech reman, and installed the Weisco replacement piston kit.
-I sold it to a friend with the motor rebuilt 0 miles. He had the first failure with the Weisco stock replacement pistons, which was the infamous piston skirt snap failure which took out the whole motor in less than 250 miles.
-Then installed another cylinder (Another reman from Millennium Tech) with the Mtntk fix kit and repaired the hole in the crankcase from the piston skirt going through the case. Then, the fix kit cold seized (I'm assuming) even though the throttle wasn't touched until coolant temp was up to 125*. But he had to get on the throttle hard right from the trailer to climb a large mtn. So we were thinking that was the failure cause, cold seizure because it looked like the pistons swelled evenly and scored the cylinder.
-Then Mtntk did a warranty(props to them) on the pistons and those lasted about 500 miles. This time, we were very careful on warmup and throttle until it had been ran for an extended period of time. It seized the same way as before, but after riding all day. It all of a sudden squeaked both pistons. This time when we opened it up, the PTO rod bearing went out too.
-All the while it had the Dynotech PCV tune on it to prevent the infamous lean mid range condition. Obviously this was a lemon motor, but the fix kit and PCV still didn't fix the issue with that motor. I haven't had any experience with the Wossner pistons, but heard they are doing well.
This is my personal experience with forged pistons... Got real tired of rebuilding that ticking time bomb. Lets just say my buddy isn't riding that lemon anymore either.

Man, I am very very sorry about it. This is sad to read stories like that. From the good side, you can rebuild D8 motor with closed eyes now, and probably can diagnose engine problems early, when it`s not disasterous yet.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
As well, what turned me away from RK Tek - they say after insatlling the Drop In Kit you cannot run synthetic oil. What the hell? I love synthetic! 800 km later, through spark plug hole, I still can read serial number on the top of Wiseco piston!

You can run any oil you want... It's just his and many others opinion not to run synthetic in any 2s... In fact its probably the only thing him and Indy Dan wouldn't get into a pissing match about. lol

Last edited:
Premium Features