• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aluminum handlebar insulation?

Plunkitt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2017
Wenatchee, WA
Knowing that aluminum bars suck up most of the heat from hand warmers, have any of you fellow shredders ever put insulation inside the bars? Gap foam or even glass insulation?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ddub

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The same as the stuff that comes in the cork kits, i know because i bought one of them too. It even has peel n stick back. Thinking about it now, think I only paid like $3 or $4.

Ddub

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I found this cork in the picture works great as long as you use air to blow the grips on.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I was having a conversation about this the other day on another chat site.

I've done several "Band-Aid" fixes in the past to help get more heat from my warmers, great stuff foam inside the bars, add a layer of gasket material, etc. They help, but IMO the stock warmers still don't put out a whole ton of heat.

I remember about 10 years ago riding my F7...Bars would get so hot they would give you 2nd degree burns if you didn't turn them down, but they why do the bars on our newer sleds suck so much?

Simple answer and all it take a circuitry. The Firecats used to have 4 hand warmers positions: off, low, med, high. Same style heating element as our current sleds. But the difference is, when on "high" both the high and low resistor elements are energized providing far more heat than having just one on at a time.

I wish there was a simple way to wire this up. One method would be to get the old style hand warmer block from a firecat. What would be even better is if someone could design a little block of some sort, like what comes with the heat demon handwarmers that would give us more control over the heat output of the warmers.

I'm looking into some options...more to come

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
cork

Yes put them between the elements and the bars. I have done this on all of my sleds with stock A/C elements and your hands will get so hot on hi that you can hardly hold onto the bars.

Premium Features