• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blew my chaincase already

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
May be worth the $.....
That rib looks like it would help deflect the object or glide over?

Mountain Cat

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We are just finishing up prototype fitting on guards for the Mtn Cat application. Will have production parts finished next week. Jason is my buddy that builds the guards for Rob and Dave's sleds that are pictured above and have a lot of work and he hand makes each of them. These will be more streamlined etc. PM me if you want to get a set, we will get in touch.

mtncatguards.JPG

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Busted up a chaincase on one of mine this spring also. This was on a early build 18 Mtn Cat. Last day of riding heading back to the trailer and saw a little black spot in the snow and didn't think anything of it until I felt my right foot take a jolt and I looked back and there was a streak of gear case oil on the snow behind me.

IMG_20170411_132329138_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Here's is an actual pic for the cat skid plate for the 18. Just for a reference on the protection it provides.
164f5154d5142e7fa71c05e52bdb78c2.jpg
43f5a3c2c705d7b63faff5bf7ba81277.jpg

Fyi both sides of the skid plate are the same with the rip going down it.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My dealer got some of these in a while back and we tipped an 18 on it's side and I held the skid plate up to the bottom of the bulkhead and it actually fit pretty darn good!! Granted this was just holding it there while he held the sled. Looked like Cat actually put some time into getting it to fit really well!!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Ranger/CO 2.O: Either one of you guys think that skid plate would have kept your case in one piece?

You guys running straight into things or coming down onto the top of stuff?

I just dropped the case on my 2016 and you've both got me all scared now, haha

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Off subject a bit, but my chain was rubbing the inside if my chaincase because it was loose...

How tight do you manually adjust the auto chain tensioner....???

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Skid plate would have kept mine from breaking. Mine is not near as bad as Rangers. Even my stock plastic cover is intact and just has a small hole in it right in the center. It's like I clipped the top of a point on the rock.

On the auto tensioner I go as tight as it will go and then back it off 2-3 clicks

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Red star said December on the mountain pickle. I like the idea of remove and replace, not cover up myself. the skid looks good though. should mount it up and get a clearance measurement to the ground, as well as the racinstation one. clearance is key imo.
cats have always been low slung in this area.

bucky919

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
North Dakota
Red star said December on the mountain pickle. I like the idea of remove and replace, not cover up myself. the skid looks good though. should mount it up and get a clearance measurement to the ground, as well as the racinstation one. clearance is key imo.
cats have always been low slung in this area.

Pick my mountain cat up Friday so won't be able to get a measurement on that for awhile.

T

Toyotajoe

Dec 12, 2016
NL, Canada
Does anyone have a pic of the 2018 skid plate installed on a sled? I just ordered my skid plate today, just wondering how it fit/look.

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
I have a cat skid plate installed on my 18' mc, easy to install and create a great protection. But a found a mistake for rear attachement on both side of tunnel, where brake and chaincase are. we need to drill a rivet and redrill bigger to put a bolt but it's between twin wall tunnel, so we cannot put a nut, i put a bigger rivet.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Installed. Instructions say you have to remove to change oil, but I just drilled an access hole for the drain plug, and a hole for oil to drain out that matched the stock locations.

BCEF4D70-1E26-43A0-823F-5345794BD281.jpg

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
We are just finishing up prototype fitting on guards for the Mtn Cat application. Will have production parts finished next week. Jason is my buddy that builds the guards for Rob and Dave's sleds that are pictured above and have a lot of work and he hand makes each of them. These will be more streamlined etc. PM me if you want to get a set, we will get in touch.

Any chance the cat skid would fit over these?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It may be possible, they are larger than the stock plastic covers. I will get a plastic skid plate on the way and check.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Figured I'd post up a pic of the plastic cover on my chaincase. As you can see there is minimal damage. Like I had the front end up out of the snow and came straight down on top of it,

picture.php

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
CO, if you're going to make a habit of banging the underside of your sled on things like that you might want to put a steel drive shaft back in while you have it all apart! :face-icon-small-hap

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Did you come down on it or was it just barely sticking out of the snow and that is the only part that hit?

If the later is true I think a skid plate would have helped because the rib that runs the length of it would have hit and lessened the impact right on the chain case. If you did come down right on it hard I'm not sure anything would have helped except 6 more feet of snow.

Premium Features