• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cats reputation

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Skimming this thread for powder pics.

Having seen none....

:)

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
AC isn't doing its customers any favors lately. This article is a great example: http://mywestshore.com/arctic-cat-abandons-its-customers/

The holdover part is nothing new, all brands have been selling holdovers for thousands less since about 2010. That's why I buy a holdover every year. I can buy the same sled that was 14k a year ago for less than 10k. 17 holdovers are going for about the same discount as the 16's were last year. Buying current year new in this market is insane if you ask me but there will always be those who don't mind eating the depreciation.

The one thing that is different in the snowmobile market is technology changes at a greater speed than say the atv/motorcycle market where bng's are the norm for many years. In the snowmobile market you may be able to get away with that for a year or 2, look at the 16-18 Axys, but if you don't make some big changes after that you will be falling behind. Another thing for the deeply discounted holdovers is a shrinking customer base, the sport itself is shrinking and the manufacturers are pricing many people out of the new market. If they didn't deeply discount holdovers with the business model they are using now, current year sled production would either have to slow or dealers would fold due to excessive old inventory they couldn't get rid of.

Last edited:

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
The holdover part is nothing new, all brands have been selling holdovers for thousands less since about 2010. That's why I buy a holdover every year. I can buy the same sled that was 14k a year ago for less than 10k. 17 holdovers are going for about the same discount as the 16's were last year. Buying current year new in this market is insane if you ask me but there will always be those who don't mind eating the depreciation.

The one thing that is different in the snowmobile market is technology changes at a greater speed than say the atv/motorcycle market where bng's are the norm for many years. In the snowmobile market you may be able to get away with that for a year or 2, look at the 16-18 Axys, but if you don't make some big changes after that you will be falling behind. Another thing for the deeply discounted holdovers is a shrinking customer base, the sport itself is shrinking and the manufacturers are pricing many people out of the new market. If they didn't deeply discount holdovers with the business model they are using now, current year sled production would either have to slow or dealers would fold due to excessive old inventory they couldn't get rid of.

You might have a tough time finding 18 holdovers - sounds like there was significant cut backs in production. Even right now 18 MCs are hard to find and if you sniff one up expect to pay MSRP.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
One of the great things about not being brand loyal, I've got 3 brands to choose from. My plan for next year is to be on a 18 Mountain cat, but if they aren't available I'll be riding a Poo or Doo and be happy :) Think the playing field is as level now as it has been in over a decade for all 3 brands.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
AC isn't doing its customers any favors lately. This article is a great example: http://mywestshore.com/arctic-cat-abandons-its-customers/

The majority of the sled MFG's are sitting on excess inventory (More than what I would consider a normal level of holdovers), and they are all offering pretty solid discounts and financing right now to move it. Past leadership decisions at Arctic Cat, over-production, quality issues, and a very dismal opening with the procross/proclimb in 2012 etc... have lead us to this point. What would you suggest that Textron does? They need to get this mess cleaned up so the dealer network can have some sustainable growth and success moving forward. Past leadership really hurt the dealer network as they wanted everyone to be a Big Box Country Cat, many closed their doors, and that didn't bode well for Arctic Cat. This is a business decision, and Textron is spending big $$ to move this inventory for their dealers. Its hitting the used market, no doubt, but looking ahead long term they are on the right path. We really need good snow in the Midwest and East Coast to help move some of this inventory as well, that goes for all the dealers all brands.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
What would you suggest that Textron does?

I can't speak for the trail sled market because I'm so out of my element, but look what polaris has done.

Hire someone flashy, articulate, and intelligent enough to know how to give feedback. Listen to their design ideas, implement them, and have them out there setting standards for evolving mountain snowmobiling.

Basically what cat completely let go when Rasmussen and Burandt left.

I can promise you the 2012 proclimb was not born of input from those two. And look what happened. And for the love of god, we've proven that we're princesses. Give some freakin color options.

Or you can follow skidoo's example and just corral in a bunch of completely loyal customers who believe in 'fit and finish' and gimmicks like bendy tracks and e-start options that only work once your sled has been run and is warmed up (IE when it's the easiest to start). :D

Last edited:
S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I believe cat needs more then rob and Dave, although great and amazing and talented.

It’s no doubt without question burandt is probably top dog in most ppls mind doesn’t mean he is but he is perceived as top dog if cat could somehow get burandt back that would shake things up a bit.

Color options would very welcomed.
I have doo friends that will defend the brand till they are blue in the face. Mind you I’m no better with cat... but when my buddy just buys an 18 summit and pulls the foam out cuts 5 inches off the bottom of the clutch guard and says his getting the bracing then tells me it’s a better sled then my MC? How can you even justify it?
My other buddy says it’s free HP over the cat. I say y’a but it doesn’t last? The frames are garbage. He says it’s fixed trying to justify it lol

Cat has some loyales but my god doo has Delusional followers lol

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I believe cat needs more then rob and Dave, although great and amazing and talented.

It’s no doubt without question burandt is probably top dog in most ppls mind doesn’t mean he is but he is perceived as top dog if cat could somehow get burandt back that would shake things up a bit.

Color options would very welcomed.
I have doo friends that will defend the brand till they are blue in the face. Mind you I’m no better with cat... but when my buddy just buys an 18 summit and pulls the foam out cuts 5 inches off the bottom of the clutch guard and says his getting the bracing then tells me it’s a better sled then my MC? How can you even justify it?
My other buddy says it’s free HP over the cat. I say y’a but it doesn’t last? The frames are garbage. He says it’s fixed trying to justify it lol

Cat has some loyales but my god doo has Delusional followers lol

Yes I would love to see the spring checks become more exclusive with color options and accessories. Make it more enticing to order early, make it “Special” for the consumer. I’m sure the mfg’s like the predictability of spring orders, and I think they should do more to get people to buy early. From a production planning standpoint, I would think it would help.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Yes I would love to see the spring checks become more exclusive with color options and accessories. Make it more enticing to order early, make it “Special” for the consumer. I’m sure the mfg’s like the predictability of spring orders, and I think they should do more to get people to buy early. From a production planning standpoint, I would think it would help.

Seriously.

The other two have figured this out. You can get a truly unique color combo ordering an axys in spring. With what sleds cost at full pop these days, they really need to offer something special. The grey early release was cool just in that it was available at least. But since they build spring checks after the order it really should be a no brainer.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I would think better pricing(best of the SEASON) on Snowchecks would be a legitimate incentive, and keeping the options limited rather than adding more would be a way to keep costs- and prices down. I feel like cat jus has wayyyy to many models to chose from.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Do not offer extra lightweight parts to production sleds, unless it is included with the pre-orders! I would be pissed
if the production sled was different than what I got, a one off pre prod, sled!

Mike

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
I started on Polaris, rode Cat from 05-17. Mid season 17 I did something I swore I would never do, bought a Doo. I feel like you could buy any of the three manufactures today and have a great sled. I got the Doo because it was the newest and best price. I knew the new Cat was coming out and really wanted it but couldn't hold out for it. I could have gotten a great deal on a holdover 16 limited Cat but didn't want the old tech. The biggest factor where Cat lost me though was dealerships. I used to have a couple dealers around me and one by one they all stopped carrying Cat or closed down. Hard to want a sled that you can't have the part that day for and have to order it online and wait for shipping.

-unsound

Lifetime Membership
Oct 18, 2013
Fort Sask, Alberta
I'm not really brand loyal, I've had a polaris, 2 cats and now
I'm on a doo. I sold my 16 LTD this year and bought a hold over 850 for a few different reasons such as warranty, dealers and being able to rob parts from my group.

After riding it this weekend I was pleasantly surprised by the steering and feel of the sled; that was my biggest concern when switching brands. To me it feels a lot more like my cat did than the 800 ETECs i have ridden. My friend who has always ridden doos was actually having a harder time getting used the 850 than I did.

I saw a lot of 2018 cats out on the snow this past week though, and they look really nice and seemed like they worked well, however I do not regret my decision.

Premium Features