• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLICK... GoPro Mounting... Great POV!

For anyone looking for a great place to mount your GoPro camera, this is it! It's the perfect Point of Veiw! It's out in front and out of the way of your sight. While riding, you don't even know it's there. Mounting on top of the helmet seems like you have someone standing on a step ladder behind the rider or you'll see the front of your helmet visor. I don't like the side mount because you are losing one side of the POV and you still might have the helmet in the picture. To remedy these problems...
Remove the decorator plate from the front of your moto-cross helmet first. Fabricate a thin cardboard or posterboard demo that will work with the contours of your helmet and make sure you have a couple of tabs to bolt to the helmet whether they are top and bottom or on each side. Make sure that the dimension on the plate has enough room to stick the Go Pro hinge mount. Take your demo to your local sheet metal shop in town and have them bend one up for you. I brought my helmet in to their shop so they can see what the end result is fitting to. With the helmet sitting on a flat surface, make sure that the plate is tilted back a little not forward being that when you are on your sled, your head is tiled downward. Since I posted this subject I have altered the J camera mount that is in the first picture. With the camera housing mounted on the J mount, you can only tip the camera back until the housing hits the lower part of the J mount. I have removed a little of the plastic in that area on the J mount, and now I can get more terrain and sky from the picture than I did before. There is a front helmet mount kit from GoPro that has different pieces in it that will allow you to point that camera at a greater angle if you ride with your head pointing downward more so than others. Trust me! Enjoy some great POV movies!:face-icon-small-hap

IMG_1386.jpg IMG_1387.jpg IMG_1388.jpg IMG_1389.jpg IMG_1390.jpg IMG_1391.jpg

Last edited:
B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
good work looks very nice. I would like to see some videos soon!! I just got my hero 2 and cant wait to use it.

GoPro Video Great POV!

OK Guys! Here is some footage of the POV off the chin mount of my moto-cross helmet. Some of the footage is from the suction mount from my hood and the other is from my helmet. You will have to go into utube and watch the video that I posted last season. Search for Brithish Columbia POW! 720P and you will see the orange hood of my AC. There is a little bit of everything on this video. This should give you an idea of what it looks like. Mike J

I mounted another plate on my Arctic Cat helmet. Notice the angle of the camera. This is because we all look slightly downwards when we ride and this angle of the camera will adjust it perfectly. Oh yeah... Be careful of the f...bombs! It's so close to your mouth it can hear you breath!

P1030486.jpg

B

Bturton

Oct 3, 2012
Medicine Hat, Ab
haherype.jpg

Tried this set up on my bike and it seems great!!

Turts

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I copied the original setup two seasons ago, worked great, except that you could hear WAY to much of what what coming out of my mouth. Every time I landed a jump "UHHHH", etc. Plus I seem to talk to myself when riding a lot. Put a stick on mount on top of the helmet and much better. Been using it on my bikes also, I like the location better. I see that GoPro has a $12 adjustable arm mount, like the angled one that comes with the cameras only straight for helmet mounting, you can adjust the arm to put the camera wherever you want it.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I copied the original setup two seasons ago, worked great, except that you could hear WAY to much of what what coming out of my mouth. Every time I landed a jump "UHHHH", etc. Plus I seem to talk to myself when riding a lot. Put a stick on mount on top of the helmet and much better. Been using it on my bikes also, I like the location better. I see that GoPro has a $12 adjustable arm mount, like the angled one that comes with the cameras only straight for helmet mounting, you can adjust the arm to put the camera wherever you want it.

I prefer the chest mount better,camera is not pointing downwards and show the hill better, Both hands/bars and what they are doing add another great element and are in the vid. Its more interactive by far.

Last edited:
Premium Features