• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battery power on a SHOT sled?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Have a 2018 G4 with SHOT and want to install an aftermarket GPS, but want to have a small battery to power it when the sled is shut off. My question is, is there a way to somehow install a small battery and have the sled charge it when the sled it running? I know there are some electrical guru's on here that must know the answer to this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Have a 2018 G4 with SHOT and want to install an aftermarket GPS, but want to have a small battery to power it when the sled is shut off. My question is, is there a way to somehow install a small battery and have the sled charge it when the sled it running? I know there are some electrical guru's on here that must know the answer to this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could charge a battery in the glove compartment and when off hook it up to the GPS.

Or are you looking for uninterrupted?

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Unless you have to have a GPS, we use a phone App called Trail Treker up in our area. It operates with your phone in airplane mode. Everything is cashed on your phone. The app is $ 2.00 on the play store and maps for your area are another $ 2.00 We use it all the time, summer or winter.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
My Garmin has its own battery. I have 12v going to it to charge the battery while I'm riding.. If I shut the sled down the gps will stay on.

I'm sure you could just find a circuit with 12-14 or so volts going through it and just parallel a battery off it. As long as there is voltage going to the battery, it'll continue to charge.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the installation and mounting of a battery just for a gps.. I mean how long do you think you'll be looking at the GPS with the sled off? Couldn't you just let the sled idle?
You could buy a 120v - 12v converter to bring it into your cabin/house to look at.. Or you could buy a good garmin gps that has a built in battery. Lots of choices . :face-icon-small-hap

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Pull your hood off and check the left side top near your glove box area there may be a pair of wires with ends for accessory plug in?(red and black wires) these will have 14 volts across when the engine is running. Always check with a volts meter first.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Contacted BRP customer support. They elevated my question to the engineers to see what can be done. The GPS I have is a lowrance Baja 5 off road GPS that I also use on my side x side. I use it in the winter on my 2017 G4 as it has electric start. Works great and am never lost. When I trade it for a 2020, was hoping to have a solution by then to mount it on the new sled. My 2018 has SHOT and was thinking about moving it over to that sled. Thanks for the replies. Will see what BRP comes up with.

E
Sep 12, 2008
N 45°31', W 94°14'
Use a 12V Diode to Prevent Backfeed and use the red/black connection under the hood.
Which way does a diode go in a circuit?
The positive side is called the anode, and the negative one is called the cathode. The diode circuit symbol, with the anode and cathode marked. Current through a diode can only flow from the anode to the cathode, which would explain why it's important for a diode to be connected in the correct direction.
Set up right this should allow the battery to charge off the running sled but prevent if from draining. I have not done this on a Ski-Doo but for 12V automotive it works well

Premium Features