• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 M8000 Boondocker Sidekick Turbo at low elevation?

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Ended up ffinding a steal of a deal on a 15 M8000 with a side kick turbo and low miles. Anyways bought the sled because it was a good deal and everything on the sled checked out. Anyways the purpose for the long track is for a trip or two out west this winter but I was curious what would need to be done to ride it at lower elevations such as the UP?

BD does not reccomend running it below 5000ft, and I am curious if there is anything I can do so I can use it on a trip or two up to the UP this winter or if it is going to be a strictly out west sled. I figured running AV or 110 might cure this? Have not been able to find much information about this on the forums.
Zach

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I'm curious on this as well. Is the low elevation not recommended due to the fuel curve on the ECM? Can they reflash for the low elevation? Clutching? I'd be interested to hear.

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
I spoke with a Bd rep at haydays and he said I will just need to mix in some higher octane fuel but didn’t give me an exact ratio. He said put a few gallons of AV in and if I get an octane code to add more u til I can determine what’s working. I am not sure if I am going to use AV or blue gas. However the guy I got it from said he ran it for 150-200 Miles last season and didn’t have an issue.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I have a PG turbo I run up higher. I mixed gas at times to prevent detonation with higher boost. Problem is, AV and race gas mess with your fueling due to the changes in fuel density. I have found that adding octane booster works great because it doesn't mess up the fuel density, which can mess with how rich or lean it runs. That said, you can mix the gas to change the fueling a bit for auto systems...if a bit rich, you can mix in AV gas to lean it out. And race gas typically run a bit richer from what I've seen or at least keeps you a bit safer if you think you are a bit lean. But, for consistency, the octane boost works great. I use Royal Purple octane booster because it is compatible with the sleds and easy to find. Cheap too. Half a bottle a tank and I'm always safe. Plus you can carry it with you just in case you need a bit more octane.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I spoke with BD today about this.

First off, they are no longer making the turbo kits for the pre-Ascender platform. Only for the new Ctech engines.

There is a possibility, this winter they are going to do some R&D for guys that are wanting to run a Turbo kit at low elevation, but will only be available as the ST kit used to be. You'll get a base map and have to tune from there.

Also, you will be required to install secondary injectors as the stock injectors can't handle the duty cycle at low elevation.

So to sum things up, there will not be a low elevation sidekick kit like the ones that are currently available for 5000+ elevation.

zecow224

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2018
Wisconsin
I spoke with BD today about this.

First off, they are no longer making the turbo kits for the pre-Ascender platform. Only for the new Ctech engines.

There is a possibility, this winter they are going to do some R&D for guys that are wanting to run a Turbo kit at low elevation, but will only be available as the ST kit used to be. You'll get a base map and have to tune from there.

Also, you will be required to install secondary injectors as the stock injectors can't handle the duty cycle at low elevation.

So to sum things up, there will not be a low elevation sidekick kit like the ones that are currently available for 5000+ elevation.

I have been working down in Texas pretty much since Haydays and I have only been able to get home once. I had called into Boondocker to try and figure out what clutch weights (fixed/adjustable and brand) were sent out with the Sidekick kits. Anyways after talking with customer service he got confused and instead of asking the techs what weights were used he asked them what I needed to run at lover elevations. They came back and said I will need to be running straight AV fuel and add 4 grams. My plan is to fill the tank half full with a 50/50 av/91 non eth fuel and have more AV available if needed. With the success of the turbo's out in the mountains it is only a matter of time until they are readily available for the lower elevation segments.

This table is right from Silber, I know it is not a boondocker table but in theory it should be similar running under similar boost.

Silber Arctic Cat Proclimb 800 PG2AV mixture chart.PNG

Premium Features