• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MM only runs on 2 cylinders please help?

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
tonite we put in new plugs, good spark on all 3 cylinders, pulled the carbs from the air box and cleaned the carbs, no issues found, put it back together, test rode it, still only running on 2, we will borrow a compression checker 2morrow, any ideas on what else to check or do,???? thank u !!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
So today we checked compression

about 120- 125 across the board, the cylinder not running is closest to the clutch, pulled the carbs, cleaned all jets, checked fuel pump, good spark, not a coil issue, disconnected the Throttle position sensor. any Ideas???
also tried pouring fuel in the cylinder.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Pull the plug and put the cap back on it...and set it on cylinder head so it's grounded.
Pull the chord...does it get spark?

edit:: never mind...I think you did that.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Actually, I wanted to be a smartazz and say "Pull the third pipe & carb (shed the weight), plug the hole and run it that way." LOL

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
How does the spark look? Is it red or yellow, or nice bright blue? Weak spark can be blown out once compression and turbulence is introduced. Check and make sure there is fuel getting to the float bowl, i have seen fuel lines colapse, and fuel pump outlets plug up. Is the plug wet? make sure none of the vent lines are restricted or plugged. Get the sled running and spray carb cleaner on the crankshaft in the seal area and see if that makes a difference in its behavior, could indicate a bad crankshaft seal.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
What year is it? If it's a little older you can swap the plug wires from cylinder to cylinder as it fires them all at the same time. So if it runs on 1 hole and then you swap that wire to the bad hole and it runs you know it's a spark issue. If it doesn't follow the wire then it's a fuel or ?? Problem.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What year is it? If it's a little older you can swap the plug wires from cylinder to cylinder as it fires them all at the same time. So if it runs on 1 hole and then you swap that wire to the bad hole and it runs you know it's a spark issue. If it doesn't follow the wire then it's a fuel or ?? Problem.

Never heard of that.

mysledblows

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Yepper. The 97 - ?? When they switched to the 300 watt ignition in 00 or 01 i think then each plug fired individually. The early ones fired them all at the same time.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
it's a 2001

it had good spark, but not sure what color of spark it was, yes we pulled the carbs , then fired up the sled, and fuel was coming out of all 3 fuel lines, We also checked all of the fuel valves and t's to make sure they were unobstructed.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
when you pull the plug on the cylinder that's not firing is the plug wet or dry?

If its dry you have no fuel, if its wet you have an ignition problem or mechanical issue. Whats the reeds look like on the cylinder? Does it have after market triple pipes on it? If it does and has three separate stinger mufflers make sure a mouse didn't build a nest up in there.

not very many things to check on a two stroke, just take your time. Eric

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Ah yeah, i forgot reeds. Does the non running cylinder seem to spit fuel and air backward through the intake? Worth pulling the reed cages and looking.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I didn't pull the reed cages,

but I looked them over pretty good with a flashlight, didn't see any damage or chips on reed petals,, spark plug looked dry. also stock exhaust

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
after collaborating with my bro,

he says plug is wet, and we pulled all 3 jets and sprayed really well with brake clleaner, jet is clean, and good. WTF are we missing???

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
If the plug is wet, chances are that cylinder is flooded, and the plug could be fouled. Pull the plugs, pull the engine over 10-15 times fast as you can (RPM wise) with the throttle held open, replace that plug and try again.

Premium Features