• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 950 supermoto etc, etc....

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
At two Hawk Fest's I've ridden an Aprilia 550 SXV on an Explorer the first time it worked spectacular, the second the snow seemed to suck it and all the other Explorers under the surface. Riding the Mountain Horse last year on the KX450 and the KTM690 the 450's seemed the ticket, the 690 was just more weight with not much more energy per/lb. You would have to strip a 950/990KTM down to it's skin and try to relocate it's fuel towards the rear or the tunnel to find if it was worth it. The Aprilia has a similar smaller displacement engine design and chassis, but more power per/lb than all. I will be finding one to compliment the KX500 I am building.

Offroadrider may be experimenting on his 950 Adventure, we will see.

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
Your rite the bigger bikes are not that good. Yes they have more power but the weight becomes overwhelming and hard to handle. The ticket is going to be a turbo on a 450 like what Scott is running.

T
Feb 16, 2012
Ok, I do get the performence/handling side of it. I was not clear at all about the main reason for the question: Maintenance! You have by now guessed that I don´t know ANYTHING about dirt bikes but from what little I have gathered of the internet it seams like there is a HUGH amount of work with maintenence of dirt bikes; on the adds I read "Oil changed every 5 hours" etc. Engine parts getting swapped every 50 hours or so. That is a silly amount of work, really! I mean one have to do a overhaul of the engine every 2 weeks if you ride enough. So that is the reason I´m asking about the "off road" machines that are designed with wider service intervall. If I would loose 10% (?) performance/handling with another bike it is well worth it (well, as I see it anyway :face-icon-small-hap).

/Urban.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
basic maintance

you will not need to overhaul your bike every other week no matter what you get.
do oil changes on a regular basis and that is about it.
I have seriously only change the oil in area 51 only 1 time so far this season because i have it running so well. engine temps are always hot enough so the fuel injection is not dumping in extra fuel and diluting the oil. my air filter is up out othe the way so it does not get clogged with snow. buy a good mx bike and have a blast. :hail:

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Ok, I do get the performence/handling side of it. I was not clear at all about the main reason for the question: Maintenance! You have by now guessed that I don´t know ANYTHING about dirt bikes but from what little I have gathered of the internet it seams like there is a HUGH amount of work with maintenence of dirt bikes; on the adds I read "Oil changed every 5 hours" etc. Engine parts getting swapped every 50 hours or so. That is a silly amount of work, really! I mean one have to do a overhaul of the engine every 2 weeks if you ride enough. So that is the reason I´m asking about the "off road" machines that are designed with wider service intervall. If I would loose 10% (?) performance/handling with another bike it is well worth it (well, as I see it anyway :face-icon-small-hap).

/Urban.

Your are getting bad information if you think that's the kind of maintenance a dirt bike requires. I have owned both 4 and 2 strokes and neither are that bad to maintain especially in the snow because you don't have to worry about cleaning an air filter or washing your bike. If you want the lease maintenance get a 2 stroke I bet I could ride my 300 all season without doing anything but putting fuel in it and probably only require a top end rebuild every 100-150 hours. No doubt a 4 stroke is going to be more maintenance but they have advantages to just not as many in my eyes.

Do not get a 950 or a 690 or anything that weigh's more than 250lbs dry or you will hate life as soon as you get it off the trail.

Premium Features