• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some help w/worked related issue...

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
This starts back about a month. Along w/our yearend bonus our boss wanted to take all 5 full time guys+SO on their family vacation to mexico or get X amt more bonus $$ if you opted out. Everyone had specfic reasons/conflicts to why they couldnt go, i unfortunatly didnt. I told them I though it was an incredible gesture(supposebly all expense paid), but since none of my fellow coworkers could go and this trip was to be for how well we all worked,Id rather take the money towards another sledding trip/house. Because w/out anyone else going, its their family and third wheel me. Nice enough people dont get me wrong, but interms of vacation activites were not on the same level. They dont drink, so no fun there. Im not big on warm weather vacations to start or being a beach bum but they like it. I could do it for a day or so but then...? If I had someone to take w/me it would probably be tolerable w/ expectation of vacation "good times"...
Anyways once I told them Id take the $$ I thought it was done. About a week later I walk in and im told your going w/us now, I just bought a ticket for you.
I stood there abit stunned and ask why? And was told that one coworker(whose family, married bosses daughter) needed someone to hang out with. I kinda expressed some unhappiness at that time about it, but didnt want to make a deal about.
Past couple weeks Ive been trying to come up w/any possible reason to say to get out of it. Ive got my trip out to tog about a week after we'd get back and I tried to explain that I didnt want to have all this off time at once, but that didnt fly either. I really dont want to have to say "listen, i really just
dont want to go w/you people" Which is the long and short of it, but thats not going to go over good no matter how much I butter them up... Anyone ever found themselves in a similar situation?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Tough call.
If they feel insulted in any way, it may well be the last "bonus" ever given.
Go.
You'll have as much fun as you decide you are going to have.

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Honestly, given this current job market.
Go, have a good time (or as much as you can) and don't worry about it.
Just make sure they know you have your tog trip shortly after you get back.

Having run a company, I can tell ya it really pisses your bosses off when they try and do something they think is super nice and no-one takes them up on it.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Wow.

When the worst thing you have to complain about is a free vacation...you should count your blessings.

A
Jul 27, 2001
Meridian, ID
There are probably lots of sledders on here who would love to go in your place and spend a week on the beach with the boss's daughter! I'm not saying I would, but then again - my wife is in the room!;)

W
Jan 2, 2008
That is weird and creepy!

What kind of work place is this anyhow? No F'in WAY would I go on a vacation with my boss.

Does this chew into your accrued vacation time? Tell them no thanks dude but your vacation time is for you and its not your boss' place to decide how YOU take your vacation.

f'n weird man, RUN!!!!

C

crimsonride

Dec 30, 2007
Try not to take this the wrong way but just go and make the most of it. You're lucky to have a boss that takes such good care of his employees. Because of the turn of the economy I haven't been able to give my employees full time work much less any kind of year end bonus. I bet you'll get there and find it's a nice break from work and the cold.

B
Nov 21, 2007
Jackson WY
Who knows, you may end up having a ball. Grab some snorkle gear, go fishing, pack your golf clubs, explore some Mayan ruins. It's a little weird that they expect you to go, but it is a gift horse.
If you really don't want to go, just "forget" your passport.

R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001

What kind of work place is this anyhow? No F'in WAY would I go on a vacation with my boss.

Does this chew into your accrued vacation time? Tell them no thanks dude but your vacation time is for you and its not your boss' place to decide how YOU take your vacation.

f'n weird man, RUN!!!!

I spent a week with my boss, his wife, and their two <3 year old daughters at HIS IN-LAWS house in Louisiana last spring. :eek: Talk about "third wheel" guy. lol. Fortunately I was left alone for the most part and spent a lot of time reading and relaxing...I didn't pay for anything and didn't take an hour of vacation for it either as we were returning from a two-week airshow and he said it was on him. :rolleyes:

go to the beach, be happy, keep your job. :)

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
go and drink rum or tequilla. Can't hurt to be on his good side, and who knows he may be cool as hell.

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
Exactly. There's going to a lot of things in life that YOU really don't want to do, but tough ch!t, as I tell my kids.
I understand that, but Id already told them I was uninterested in going and preferred the money for my own things, then they basically just went and did what they wanted. Yea life's not fair, and I again i realize its a great gesture but figuring I had some extra money coming, Id already started to spend it.

f'n weird man, RUN!!!!
Its a farm. It will cut into my vacation time and here's the other thing. Weve been off since just before xmas and go back monday. So ive been off about 10 days here. Then in a couple weeks there would be this trip. A week later would be tog, then right after I get back from that there might be another quick work related trip(this one im actually interested in). All my vaca. time will be gone before in no time..

well, it could be good if you don't mind ditchin them.

go get lost with your wife somewhere, come back just in time to catch the plane home!
Not married and not currently seeing anyone so that options out. The other coworker is the one whose married to the daughter and evidently the reason why I have to go so that instead of spending time w/his wife, he cant hang out w/me...Yea I dont get it either..

Last edited:
S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
go and drink rum or tequilla. Can't hurt to be on his good side, and who knows he may be cool as hell.

They dont drink so theres no possibility of someone doing something dumb or crazy...Well outside of me but that wont be anyfun by myself...

Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
Honestly, given this current job market.
Go, have a good time (or as much as you can) and don't worry about it.
Just make sure they know you have your tog trip shortly after you get back.

Having run a company, I can tell ya it really pisses your bosses off when they try and do something they think is super nice and no-one takes them up on it.[/QUOTE]

No kidding, I did some things for my employees, thought it was nice and they complained about it. They said I should have asked them first. Not a vacation like you are getting, but a nice gesture on my part.(I thought) The next year, I treated myself to a vacation, and Fruitcake for everybody else.

Premium Features