• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Nothing, it's just not called "Indy Dan HG7 Honing" and he doesn't make any money off of it.

Again the stuff he speaks of isn't new, its all written in books anyone with ambition can pick up and read (Plateau honing/ultra finish honing). RKTech and Indy are amazing at selling they're re-invented wheels. Then going after others for "stealing" they're ideas.

Back to the 850.. :)

Wow, jealous or what? I suppose you can do a better hone out back in your shed with some 3M sandpaper and o bottle of marvel mystery oil?!

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Which statement would you liked backed up? Nothing I said needs backing up. You just agreed that it isn't new technology. It's just that you blew a big wad of money screwing it up for awhile and now are an expert. I do that **** all the time, but I don't claim to be a expert after. All I basically said is others are doing the same thing your doing, and have been for a very long time. It's nothing new. Which you agreed with if I'm not mistaken?

I hope that "statements without backing them up" wasn't some sort of threat.

Never claimed theft, where's PAR?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Which statement would you liked backed up? Nothing I said needs backing up. You just agreed that it isn't new technology. It's just that you blew a big wad of money screwing it up for awhile and now are an expert. I do that **** all the time, but I don't claim to be a expert after. All I basically said is others are doing the same thing your doing, and have been for a very long time. It's nothing new. Which you agreed with if I'm not mistaken?

I hope that "statements without backing them up" wasn't some sort of threat.

Never claimed theft, where's PAR?

I think dan was looking for specific examples of other shops, oem’s or individuals providing an hg7 cylinder finish service for snowmobile motors.

Has it been tested in the field to provide similar longevity?

Sincere question.

I see it as similar to providing an FF 15 concrete slab.
Lots of contractors claim they can but few actually can.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I see it as similar to providing an FF 15 concrete slab.
Lots of contractors claim they can but few actually can.

And those of us who actually can, have replaced a lot of concrete getting there. Similar to The way Dan had to fix a lot of engines. Experience is king when it comes to getting stuff right.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
d80c8f62a588996fa7c95bddb87ee5de.jpg
20190d59f6eccaea42adb89edd7f9070.jpg

a97f032c00e0c000d80488fbdc82bfa5.jpg
a6357787705b81bae137d77e44a15145.jpg

10.7 hours on my 850. Was dropping rpm from 8300 to 6700 in two back to back climbs. I pulled the side panel to discover oil all over the clutches. It is coming from behind the primary. I assumed from the pto oil line coming off. It pUddled under the clutches. Still idled fine and made it 12 miles off the hill, though it now needs work. Take it for what’s it worth.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Did a leak down on the 850 this morning in the shop. 62*.
It has great numbers for the amount of time on it. Both holes were at 3%. I’m, as the kids say, stoked.

You made me curious, had to do the the same. I wanted to check for a baseline. I only have 2.4 hours on it, 24ish miles I think. All flatland. ( trying to break it in a little before heading to cooke) Well warmed up, driven about ten miles, completely cooled down, and repeat. Not babied, but not held wide open the whole time either.
129-130psi mag
130-131psi pto
Both sides were at a touch less than 1.5% leakdown
sled was cold, 45* in the garage, pics of pistons and their coatings are in an earlier post. Can't wait to run this motor in the deep stuff....

Last edited:

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Looks like we will see a lot of opened side panels this year. Us Doo guys letting our clutches cool, and the Poo guys making sure there oil lines haven’t popped off. What ever happened to the days of just riding?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Looks like we will see a lot of opened side panels this year. Us Doo guys letting our clutches cool, and the Poo guys making sure there oil lines haven’t popped off. What ever happened to the days of just riding?

No kidding!

Thats why I have my stable of sleds... old iron pull the rope and rip! Still faster than anything new on the snow and since im not chris burandt (like so many think they are nowadays) ill just stick to what I always tell people:

"what I lack in talent I just try to makeup in horsepower"

Glad to see this thread calm down a bit but also sad to see this thread calm down a bit!

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
I appologize if this is old news. However, I didn’t find it in old posts. I’ll just leave this here......

It might be posted on another thread but I am sure not on this one. This is interesting. Mostly because this issue came up on this thread as well as the bearing issue.

Thanks for posting it. This will be interesting.

Maybe you should start another thread with this info!

Premium Features