• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CLINICS AND OTHER GUIDED EXPERIENCES, MY THOUGHTS AND SOME LINKS.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

I break the "Camps/Clinics/Adventures/Experiences" into two different categories.

1) True Clinics that have as their sole focus to teach you sled skills that improve your experience. The best of them will evaluate your current riding level, strengths & weaknesses and teach you skills that will improve your enjoyment of the sport. Also of importance to these sessions and their operators is Avalanche safety and education (huge in my book)

2) Guided high end Tours or Adventures...
Although you will of course learn things when you ride with these camps and the guides are always helpful in developing skills... the focus is more about pushing your limits on an all day ride with other riders that are, most often, grouped together by ability.

Now, I'm not going to tell you which one is which.... You must decide which one you want from your time spent with the session you choose.

First you must be TRULY honest with yourself to determine your riding ability. Most riders over-estimate their true riding ability simply because they are the best in their group. Better to underestimate, be humble and let the experts do their job at guiding you or teaching.

One of the worst case scenarios is to think that you are a great rider... spend lots of money on a session, transport, time off work/vacation-time...and get to a session where everyone else but you has amazing skills and you are the "anchor" that drags the group down. Not fun for the rest of the group who has paid dearly for their session as well...and definitely not fun for you being the "red headed step child" of the group.

The last thing an instructor/coach/guide that has a group of riders that can ride at a truly high level needs... is a rider that holds them back or ruins the experience for the group. IMO, Don't be that person!!

Second, Decide what you are looking for... A clinic that is focused on teaching you skills with specific drills, lessons, and class goals...with probably less throttle time... OR... an Experience that has as it's focus guiding you and pushing you on a ride that is challenging without the drills/class/practice sessions.

Third, Email or call the Session owner/operator and be clear what you expect and ask them if the particular session you are considering is a good fit for you and your abilities/expectations.

Lots of good ways to go out there... have fun and SHRED SOM POW this season!! :face-icon-small-ton

Here is a list of some of the programs out there. I'm sure I missed some.

NOTE: As of press time here... Many of the Web-sites have not yet updated for the 2014/15 season.

Last edited:

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Thanks mountainhorse! Our site is updated with our instructional riding workshop schedule and snowmobile-specific avalanche safety course schedule for this season as well as special preseason registration rates. Happy to answer any questions!

www.mountainskillz.com

Thanks, Matt

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
I also greatly appreciate the post MH, thank you!!!!

We'll have the website updated for late September, however please consider the information currently on the site to remain as an accurate reflection of our services.

The Snowrider program is positioned to provide the ultimately big mountain experience and combines adventure guiding with a riding clinic approach. I generally leave it up the clients as how they would like their experience to be tailored.

The dates for Super Clinic will change for this coming year, and there will be an option to do either the avalanche skills training or rider training separately. The program was a huge success and we are looking forward to the coming season.

We are working on expanding our services and will make announcements as soon as possible. We are one of the very few legally tenured operations in British Columbia and are 100% dedicated to providing a fulfilling experience for avid snowmobile enthusiasts. SnowRide Adventures is located in Whistler, British Columbia and is within a very close proximity to the Vancouver International Airport. We are able to provide a turn key experience that includes guiding, snowmobiles as well as accommodations. Our pricing is substantially better than our local competitors and we have a massive amount of incredible terrain encompassed within the tenure, please see attached photos in the next post.

Our services are described in the videos below, if you have any questions, please ask.

Thank you,

Jorli
http://www.snowrideadventures.com/- The navigation bar is at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:
J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
Our operating area is pretty amazing. We have incredible tree riding, high-alpine as well as some of the most insane sub-alpine terrain, as seen in some of the pictures below. The Whistler experience contains an unparalleled variety of terrain and SnowRide Adventures stands alone as the only legally tenured operation on the coast with 7 unique operating areas to enjoy.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
Ultimate Riding Clinic

Great post very informative. Appreciate the updated info about other clinics.

I want to throw a shout out for Geoff Kyle. My buddy and I rode with him March 2014 for three days. Geoff is a guru. He pushed us to our limits which was ultimately hard on him because he had to dig us out so much. That said, he changed our whole perception/ability of riding in the mountains. VERY inspiring!!

Even though we have ridden in and around Whistler/Squamish/Pemberton for 15 years previously, Geoff showed us lines we didn't even know existed or were even possible.

My favourite line out of my mouth "Geoff, are you sure I can do this? I can't even see the bottom. Is this a cliff?":face-icon-small-sho

Here is a video he took of me. As good as it looks it was spectacular

http://vimeo.com/88848138

Cheers

R

RidewithChrisBrown

Nov 17, 2011
www.ridewithchrisbrown.com
Thank you Mountainhorse! That is a great post. There are many services offered out there. A few of us have been doing it for several years and are committed and devoted for the long haul :)

When choosing a riding clinic or guiding service I feel the important issues are:

1) Who is teaching/guiding? Are they personable? Entertaining? How well can they relate to their students and teach?

2) What professional training do they have?
Make sure they have professional level guide training, avalanche training and wilderness 1st aid. Here in Canada that means a Canadian Avalanche Association Professional or Active Member which requires a minimum training of 3 courses to achieve. AST1, AST2 and Level 1 Ops.

3) What is their experience teaching riding clinics/avy safety? What is their experience guiding?

4) What kind of permits or tenure agreements do they have? You don't want to go with a guide who isn't operating legally on public land.

5) What kind of terrain do they offer?

6) What does the whole package look like? Lodging, meals, entertainment, etc

With http://ridewithchrisbrown.com/
our goal is for you to have the "Experience of a Lifetime" while learning new skills on and off the sled.

Our technical riding clinics focus on developing skills that will improve your experience in the backcountry. Avalanche training is mixed in throughout the weekend with the focus being on Trip Planning (based on weather and avalanche forecasts), Terrain Management, Companion Rescue, Snow science and more.

Our Technical riding clinics schedule will be up this week with two different levels: Intermediate and Advanced. These clinics take place at locations that are easy drives for many riders. All of our riding clinics are taught by myself and one other instructor (KJ or one of my other guides).

If you choose to book a guided tour with us in Whistler we will give the option to work on any skill while on the tour. You must have a private group or a one on one for this so that it does not conflict with other riders.

We have THE BEST tree riding in Whistler, BC and endless Alpine and Glacier riding areas within our Tenures. You can ride with us for a week and see new terrain every day!! If you want to ride in the zones you see in 509, Slednecks and some of the other movies look no further.

Our guide to client ratio never exceeds 1:6 which makes for a much more enjoyable and hands-on experience.

We just signed with Polaris snowmobiles and will be offering PRO and Assault RMK 800's and a couple turbos as demos!!!!!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions at ridewithchris@gmail.com

Cheers to a FUN AND SAFE WINTER WITH ENDLESS POWDER!!!!!

Attachments

• RWCB FLYER.jpg
    RWCB FLYER.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
Info Update

We have added another Super Clinic to our program this season. Super Clinics will be offered Dec 19-21, Jan 16-18 and Feb 13-15.

Guiding and personalized rider training services are available throughout the rest of the season until May 1st.

Our website has also been updated. Check it out at: http://www.snowrideadventures.com/

Have a safe winter everyone!!! Hope to see you in the backcountry!!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
ttt... Ponder this to get a good start to the season right... and not reinforce your bad habbits... or learn some new skill sets to make your riding even more enjoyable..

IMO... this is money well spent.

Couples/spouses do well with these because your partner may not learn too easily from you... but will from an "outside coach"...

Be honest with your abilities... and you will have a class of a lifetime.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
The 2015-2016 winter is going to be AWESOME!!!! We are very close to releasing our schedule here with Mountain Skillz. We will have more personalized technical mountain riding workshop dates available than ever before in the great snow and terrain located in southern Colorado. There will be at least 2 Ladies Clinics on the schedule for varying experience/skill levels as well as 4 Avalanche Safety Courses for snowmobilers! We will have 3 variations of 2016 Polaris AXYS RMKs available as rentals with access to more to accommodate larger groups if necessary.

The general information on our website www.mountainskillz.com is correct. This season's schedule will be updated soon and I'll update this thread when that goes live.

I'm always happy to answer any questions posted on this thread. Don't hesitate to contact me privately with a pm, email (matt@mountainskillz.com), or phone call (719-849-3168). Hope to see you at Hay Days or one of the other fall shows! THINK SNOW!!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

NOTE: As of press time here... Many of the Web-sites have not yet updated for the 2014/15 season.

Have been a part of Dan's Clinic.
FIRST RATE for the intermediate and Advanced rider

Hope to attend one of Matt's clinics this season

Have attended Amber's full course.
Excellent for learning all of the core basics for Mountain Riding. (Especially outstanding course for Ladies, with woman on Woman instruction)

Hope to have a chance to visit both Chris and Jorli soon..

Last edited:

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
The 2015-2016 winter is going to be AWESOME!!!! We are very close to releasing our schedule here with Mountain Skillz. We will have more personalized technical mountain riding workshop dates available than ever before in the great snow and terrain located in southern Colorado. There will be at least 2 Ladies Clinics on the schedule for varying experience/skill levels as well as 4 Avalanche Safety Courses for snowmobilers! We will have 3 variations of 2016 Polaris AXYS RMKs available as rentals with access to more to accommodate larger groups if necessary.

The general information on our website www.mountainskillz.com is correct. This season's schedule will be updated soon and I'll update this thread when that goes live.

I'm always happy to answer any questions posted on this thread. Don't hesitate to contact me privately with a pm, email (matt@mountainskillz.com), or phone call (719-849-3168). Hope to see you at Hay Days or one of the other fall shows! THINK SNOW!!!!
Matt- are you going to try to do a clinic in the U.P. this season?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
Thank you MH and Christopher!!!

I expect to have the website updated within the next two weeks.

With the dollar exchange savings, our service is nearly 1/2 the price of some of our counterparts south of the border. This is an awesome year to check out BC!!! Booking in advance saves 35% on dollar exchange alone.

www.snowrideadventures.com

Last edited:

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Matt- are you going to try to do a clinic in the U.P. this season?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We are heading to Michigan's Upper Peninsula in March! I am really looking forward to riding an area that I have heard so much about as well as working with a bunch of passionate snowmobilers! Sled Solutions is helping put it all together and we have some great involvement from Skinz Protective Gear and Klim. General information is on the poster below. There are a few spots available with the 'basic' group and I expect the 'advanced' group to fill in the next day or so. If the demand is there, I will possibly add an additional 'advanced' clinic. Please let me know if anyone has any questions. THANKS!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1,085

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Jorli, that is just a drop dead gorgeous photo.
What a TEASE!!!!!!

http://www.snowrideadventures.com/2016/

Discover-Whistler-Cropped-3.jpg

When viewing Earth from space, the Coast Mountains stand out as one of the world’s most prominent mountain ranges. For those that seek the ultimate riding experience, this unique geography offers unlimited potential amidst a dynamic backdrop that has defined the stage for big mountain snowmobiling. SnowRide Adventures offers guiding services dedicated to exploring the Coast Mountains and combines an unparalleled instructional component to deliver a ride you’ll never forget.

We focus on every aspect of mountain riding, from technical tree riding to epic touring adventures in the high alpine, our riding areas are truly magnificent. Check out our newly expanded tenure that boasts the ultimate in sub-alpine terrain. The geography is nothing less than remarkable and will challenge you beyond your wildest expectations.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AfCRsHIzVpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
Jorli, that is just a drop dead gorgeous photo.
What a TEASE!!!!!!

http://www.snowrideadventures.com/2016/

Discover-Whistler-Cropped-3.jpg

When viewing Earth from space, the Coast Mountains stand out as one of the world’s most prominent mountain ranges. For those that seek the ultimate riding experience, this unique geography offers unlimited potential amidst a dynamic backdrop that has defined the stage for big mountain snowmobiling. SnowRide Adventures offers guiding services dedicated to exploring the Coast Mountains and combines an unparalleled instructional component to deliver a ride you’ll never forget.

We focus on every aspect of mountain riding, from technical tree riding to epic touring adventures in the high alpine, our riding areas are truly magnificent. Check out our newly expanded tenure that boasts the ultimate in sub-alpine terrain. The geography is nothing less than remarkable and will challenge you beyond your wildest expectations.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AfCRsHIzVpI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Christopher, just a heads up, we were working the bugs out and are back to the original link.

http://www.snowrideadventures.com/

Cheers! - Jorli

Premium Features