• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tie down in an enclosed trailer

how do you secure your sleds in an enclosed trailer?

• nothing

Votes: 219 46.6%
  • front only

Votes: 70 14.9%
  • front and rear

Votes: 181 38.5%

• Total voters

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
who ties down their sleds when using an enclosed trailer? when we progressed from an open to enclosed we tied town the front and rear of the sleds. after a few trips it was just the front. after the first season it was no tie downs but we'd put the parking brake on. now we dont do anything. figured this was the norm but looking through some threads guys are using superclamps inside the trailer.

so what do others do??

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Have you never had to stuff the brakes for a deer, moose, mountain sheep, other car, or a sudden red light before??? Parking brakes are only effective for a couple hours and not a 'legal' method. Technically your supposed to be secured front and rear. We ALWAYS put the superclamps on the front at a minimum, and strap down the backs if we're going long distance or on rough roads.

M
Tie mine down in my trailer as I'd rather be safe then sorry.
With the way some people drive on the roads you never know when you
may have to dynamite the brakes!!
I guess I'd rather be safe the sorry!

Last edited:

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
Have you never had to stuff the brakes for a deer, moose, mountain sheep, other car, or a sudden red light before??? Parking brakes are only effective for a couple hours and not a 'legal' method. Technically your supposed to be secured front and rear. We ALWAYS put the superclamps on the front at a minimum, and strap down the backs if we're going long distance or on rough roads.

Technically? Lighten up Francis

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
About 6 years ago I was heading west from Laramie on I-80 and hit some ice in a ground blizzard. Did a 360 with the truck and trailer into the ditch and threw the sleds out the back of the trailer after they broke the door latches (Triton trailer). They were both tied down with just the basic "stock" triton ski-bars. I don't know if superclamps and having the back tied down would have saved me some money or not.

I haven't learned my lesson though - I still only tie them down 50% of the time. I am a slow learner I guess......

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT

per DOT regs........once the door is closed, it's considered "secured"
hence why van and reefer drivers dont know how to tie down anything
I pulll flatbeds and lowboys, so i read the little green book alot

that said, IF i could afford an enclosed....this year or any in the future
I'd still tie them down...front and rear

to much money in toys to let them get scattered on the hi-way if an oopsie happens

on my 4 place open the front two sleds get two starps...one ahead and one behind the spindle
rear sleds get the same plus one down from the rear bumper

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
per DOT regs........once the door is closed, it's considered "secured"
hence why van and reefer drivers dont know how to tie down anything
I pulll flatbeds and lowboys, so i read the little green book alot

that said, IF i could afford an enclosed....this year or any in the future
I'd still tie them down...front and rear

to much money in toys to let them get scattered on the hi-way if an oopsie happens

on my 4 place open the front two sleds get two starps...one ahead and one behind the spindle
rear sleds get the same plus one down from the rear bumper

Definitely! When you have to work hard to afford this stuff, it's worth taking care of, and protecting.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I work hard enough for mine I have an insurance policy on them. Just like my other vehicles on the road, if they get in a collision, they get replaced.

Never tied down, don't ride with anybody that does. I bought enclosed to avoid covers/tiedowns and it works.

sandorsnow

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2009
utah
I like knowing all the scratches and damage to my sled are from my crappy riding and tree branches.

I tie mine down front and rear, but it is a royal pain in the azz. It takes so long to put that strap thing around the front bumper, then hook both ends to the hook thingy on the floor or wall, then pull the strap tight. Then you have to start all over again on the other end of the sled. And I'll be damned if there isn't 3 or 4 more sleds to do. Just wasted like 1-2 minutes of my precious time.:face-icon-small-con

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I guess I'm stupid. Don't tie down sleds and don't know anyone who does. If you get in a big enough accident, I don't think a tie down with a little bolt is gonna hold a 600 lb sled from doing what it wants. Maybe I will regret it someday but that's how we roll for now.

clarson80

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Valley City, ND
To the guys that have inclosed trailers and dont tie them down and have all the excuses in the world, (takes too long, I have to bend over, What I have to tie the back down, too. O my God, what a hassel) You just don't get it do you. I have travel all accross the country doing sled shows for the past 15 years to educate sledders trailering their sleds (their investment) and heard about 1000 times of people having thousands and thousands of dollar of damage done to their sleds do to NOT tieing them down in there inclosed trailer. This is not a sale pitch, this is common sense, that is why we tried our best to make your tieing down of your sled SIMPLE, that is why Superclamp is here, now there are no excuses. By the way it is the LAW, and I did not make the Law. If for those that don't tie your sleds down in your inclosed trailer, you are on borrowed time, and someone told me a saying a while back, You can't fix STUPID.

If its illegal to not secure my sled in my enclosed trailer... do I have to tie down EVERY THING I haul in it? Cargo is cargo....should I tie down all the boxes if I help someone move?

I think you're correct that we all should be tying sleds down, but I Don't think its illegal not to.

Premium Features