• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check your Mountain Horse bearings.

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
After 1059 miles I had two bad bearings. Both had were spinning on the shafts and caused some damage. Neither chain case bearing had sized at the time of replacment.

My sugestion is if you have a new MH kit all should be good for at least 500 miles, if you have last seasons kit 300 is the upper limit.
I know that Timber Sled is looking for the perfect bearing and they are much improved this year.

For next seasons kit TS has machined the bearing retainer and opened the ports in the side panels, to shed water for even longer bearing life.
Upon replacing my bearings I did some roto tooling to help shed some water. This is a rough copy of what TS is doing for next seasons kit. See pic.

These MH kits are the S### and some maintance is required. So do your self a favor and spend some time changing/checking your bearings.

I got 4 bearings (best bearings to date) from TimberSled and changed all drive bearings so I can ride another 500 miles with out any issues.
Thanks to TS for the great product and for the ongoing improvments.:usa2:

03.06.12 001.jpg

Y
Nov 26, 2007
thanks

good heads up, are the bearings custom or should a local bearing shop carry them. I am way north in canada and TS has great customer service but may look at doing them tomorrow

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
These MH kits are the S### and some maintance is required.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Had an epic spring day today.... covered 100 miles and only burnt through 3.5gal of gas. Steep gnarly treed climbing and super fast terrain traveling.... wheelie city! Talk about cheap fun!

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
What happens to the bearings that makes them fail is that they get water in them and it sits for some time and creates rust pits in the bearing race. The bearing then gets chunky feeling and then wipes itself out.

You can use a supply house style bearing but they are not as good as what we are currently using. These bearings have single lip seals and about 20% grease fill. If you use this style bearing the best thing you could do is pop out the seals and pack them with good grease.

The bearings we are currently using are custom made for us. They have a double lip seal and 80% grease fill. This keeps the water elements out and helps the bearing last longer. Also the water evacuation groves (like what Retired Motoman has done) are a very good idea if you have it already apart.

Last edited:
Premium Features