• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KX500, CR500, RM500??

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
area 51 with kx500 transplant

I just stuffed in the kx500 in my bike. things are a little hacked up now but will be a good test bed for next years machine. just need a timbersled skid to fit up now.
the big 2 strokes make serious power and the kx500 engine is 20 lbs lighter than my 450 i was running. vibration is the only major downfall so i will rubber mount my engine. get one today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I know of several CR500's and one KX500 that are on the snow. I just bought a 2001 CR500 that I am in the process of getting on the snow, just waiting on my parts right now. My buddy has been running a MH kit on his 98 CR500 and it's impressive but he still has a few bugs that he is trying to work out. I got some seat time on it this last weekend and it has quite a bit more power than my KTM 300 and handles just as well or better. Hopefully in a couple weeks I will have mine on the snow and be able to report back. I am pretty confident that a good running CR500 will out perform a modern day 450 race bike on the snow.

S
Jan 16, 2012
Lewiston, Idaho
2007 RM250

I know for a fact that the Frozen MOTO would have no problems on it as we ran a newbie that had ridden the Frozen MOTO very limitedly at the Flashpoint race in McCall and he won the c-main only lossing to a 450 and beating the 2 moto with a 450 so a 500 is no problem. In acutality that was the biggest question is that a 500 and it was only a 250. This is due to the efficentcy of the system and the ability to run it on lower powered bikes. The difference you would be looking at however is when it comes to climbing in powder. the 250 2-stroke was ran on the track and we have ridden it out in the freeride setting but it is underpowered in that setting which you would not see that with the 500 2 stroke. I am curious how the 300 did for you I have been wanting to attach an smx to one to see the ability as I race endurocross and am thinking about the 300 or 350 for an endurocross bike but would want it to do double duty as a snow bike in the winter.
Hope this helps.
I am also attaching a picture of the 250 and you can see it had no problems running the kit and could get off the ground great and in an extremely controled manner!
Dan

Jimmy1.jpg IMG_2272.jpg IMG_2273.jpg

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I have a practically brand new 2001 CR 500 for sale if anybody is interested.

5 rides on it and has alot of goodies.

B

backcountrysnowbikes

Nov 12, 2011
Orting Washington
Lee Olive how does your KX540 run will it out pull a ktm 540 big bore or a husaberg 650

its not even in the same league

2 stroke 500's are lighter by 50lbs and have 70hp whitch is 25 to 30 more than the 450.
we all know that more power is better

R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Lee Olive how does your KX540 run will it out pull a ktm 540 big bore or a husaberg 650

2 stroke 500's are lighter by 50lbs and have 70hp whitch is 25 to 30 more than the 450.
More power and a LOT more fuel!!
One of the good things we have found riding snowbikes is the lack of 2 smoke stink. Sorry but clean air is nice if your following.
No doubt 2 strokes have the power and for a short time I thought they might be the answer....but combine the fuel issue and the stink, I am a 4 stroke snowbike guy.
Sorry, just my 2 cents.:baby:

T
Feb 16, 2012
mmmm...thanx, spot on comments. Fuel consumption is endeed an issue, especially in Sweden where gas is 8 usd/gallon :face-icon-small-sho. I guess the big 500-2 strokes are the thing for the race track and not so much for "freeriding". So the best thing so far is a 450-550, 4-stroke with turbo :face-icon-small-coo (Prize not in the equation).

/Urban.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Hi from Sugar!

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Motocross is getting a much needed "injection" of ridership, allowing 250 two strokes to compete with the 250 fours, better 295cc's against the 4Fitties. Not against the fours, grew up with them till I discovered the oil burners in my late twenties. When the Evinrude outboards, the SDI Ski-Doo, then the Etec showed their heads it had to be around the corner.:face-icon-small-hap

http://www.ossaworld.com/Default.aspx
C2A9_ossa_enduro-001.jpg

OSSA OSSA Enduro

Following the appearance on the stage of Milan's first Salon de la Ossa prototype TR 280i will start a full evolution and development work before it went into production a bike that has been a real revolution. Two years later, Ossa Factory has chosen EICMA in Milan again to present a new prototype that will mark a before and after in the form of the Enduro. The Enduro 250i/300i Ossa born with the work experience of recent years and provides a number of developments to get a bike light and manageable with a brilliant engine. This is a bike that provides a series of new developments that make a difference and keep Ossa Factory's philosophy: to offer the market a technologically advanced product with a long series of advantages both in terms of performance and behavior, as in a of vital importance as the possibility of adapting the character of the Ossa Enduro 250i/300i to the demands, conditions and driving styles of their users.

I'm sure many more to come.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
mmmm...thanx, spot on comments. Fuel consumption is endeed an issue, especially in Sweden where gas is 8 usd/gallon :face-icon-small-sho. I guess the big 500-2 strokes are the thing for the race track and not so much for "freeriding". So the best thing so far is a 450-550, 4-stroke with turbo :face-icon-small-coo (Prize not in the equation).

/Urban.

What's that mean for Twoskis and their 12gal tanks in your back yard?:face-icon-small-win

Back to the bikes, you can buy a few pails of petrol for the price of that spinner.

I predict we see the likes of these types making a huge comeback with the direct injection helping us all breathe better.

images

These will be outright nuts, road racing, MotoGP, World Super Bike, etc. will all benefit.

1970_T500III_Titan_450.jpg

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
The fuel consumption on these 2-strokes isn't that much more compared to a 4-stroke. The most fuel I have burned through my 300 in a day of riding is 5 gallons which is probably at most a gallon more than a four stroke is going to burn. The funny thing is that my buddies CR500 burns about the same amount of fuel that my 300 burns. I don't see fuel consumption being that big of a problem and lets face it 90% of the sleds in the mountains are 2-strokes that are burning twice as much fuel in a day as these bikes.

B
Oct 20, 2010
Squamish, BC
More power and a LOT more fuel!!
One of the good things we have found riding snowbikes is the lack of 2 smoke stink. Sorry but clean air is nice if your following.
No doubt 2 strokes have the power and for a short time I thought they might be the answer....but combine the fuel issue and the stink, I am a 4 stroke snowbike guy.
Sorry, just my 2 cents.:baby:

Some of the fondest memories of my younger years is the sweet smell of castor oil hanging heavy in the air coming from forty 125s screaming at 10,000 RPM on the start line. Gate is down, drop the clutch, cant hear my own machine over the cacophony of the pack sounding for all the world like the biggest swarm of angry bees, so just shift, shift, shift. Brake a nanosecond after the other guy. Holeshot!
Thanks for jogging those memories.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
abort ! abort!

please no more ossa photo's , motorcycle ponzi sceme, memories there I just can't revisit.

Big two stokes have one huge advantage..............they are quiet. Nothing worse than the boooom ing sound of a big 4 stroke across the valley. Stadning next to a ring a dinger two stroke and the slapping piston and stacato exhaust hurts your ears, but as soon as its 100 yards away the sound just sort of disapates. Dem queit throaty 4 strokes send out a booming exhaust sound you can hear for miles.

just had a good laugh over that last weekend, 6 sleds across the valley, one yamaha 4 stroke, couldn't hear any of the ski doos with cans, but that mouse quiet yamaha was sound polution on rubber.

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho

LOL, what dyno are you looking at? The 500s made about 55 HP stock and my KX500 weighed 236 lbs with oil and coolant when it was new, which is the same as a kx450.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
LOL, what dyno are you looking at? The 500s made about 55 HP stock and my KX500 weighed 236 lbs with oil and coolant when it was new, which is the same as a kx450.

Here are the specs on a CR500. HP rating are always taken at the countershaft so I wouldn't call them real world numbers but they are what they are.

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Honda_CR_500_R_2001.aspx

Assuming these specs are accurate which I don't see why they would not be I am not doubting 70hp out of a big bored (540) KX. As for the weight differences I think the 500 smokers maybe a few pounds lighter but not much. Bottom line a 500 2smoke is capable of quite a bit more hp than a 450 thumper.

Here are the specs on a 2011 CRF 450

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2011/honda/crf/450r/specifications/68050/05/index.html

Premium Features