• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled MH maiden voyage... doh!

B
Jan 23, 2012
Colorado
I took my new MH kit out for its maiden voyage this weekend. We were up at Corona Bowl, CO on Saturday. It was a blast once we got it off the trail. I was ripping up the powder until I found a LARGE hidden boulder. Over the handle bars I went with the bike close behind. Here are the results:

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

I'm not sure if I can get the ski spindle straightened out. I'll take a look later this week to see what I can do to fix things.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
You might wanna pull your fork clamps off and inspect them for damage, and also inspect your fork tubes for damage.

Straightening that might be good for a spare, but it'll be severely weakened from that bending. Alum. doesn't like to be bent.

F

funjunkie

Nov 26, 2007
That does not look to bad:) I say one this week end that looked alot worse then that:)

B
Jan 23, 2012
Colorado
I know how you feel man! I've already been over the handlebars and through a spindle this season. It's all worth it tho.

Yea, it was a blast until it happened. Hell, it was a blast after it happened, at least until I had to ride out a few miles with that carbide bent to hell. That was a suck fest on the hard pack.

The spindle isn't bent badly enough to keep me from riding. If I can't get it straightened out I'll be buying a new spindle but until then I'll be riding.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Yea, when you break a spindle on one of these things you think about all the fun you'll be missing and that decision is made in a half a second. I looked at that old suburban in my driveway that I knew I'd never fix up and said "Hello, Pacific Steel and Recycling? See you in 30 minutes".

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Nick who came with the McCurrdy Bros was riding his YZ450 MH at Hawk Fest. I think it was Sunday morning when he caught a rock on his chain case. Buckled the tunnel on both sides. His main concern was how long till Allen could replace them, couple hrs and back to it! Should have taken pics, I know!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I bent a spindle last season just by having one skag drag across the top of a subsurface stump, I didn't think anything of it because I barely felt anything at the bars but when I got back on the trail I knew something was bent. In my opinion the spindles are entirely to weak so I had timbersled add a stabilizer bar that they were experimenting with to the back of my spindle to keep it from buckling. This is a problem Timbersled knows about but isn't fixing it because they claim its protection against fork damage, I personally don't see the logic. I have been riding dirt my entire life and have hit a lot of stuff really hard at high rates of speed without ever damaging a triple clamp or fork. I also think that the in the case of collision with a blunt object that the flimsy aluminum mounting bracket that bolts to the ski should probably bend before a $200 (was $300 last season) ski spindle should bend. If you guys want to avoid dropping $200 on a bent part that's just going to bend again I would advise you to either have the back of the spindle boxed in the way it should be by welding a piece of plate aluminum across the back or add a bar like I have at the weak point in the spindle.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
Spindle was strengthened this year

As a matter fact, we did add a welded cross member to the back of the spindle this year. Timbersled has always done a great job of designing our products with the proper strength where it is needed. When we have failed, we have corrected the issue and stood behind our failures. If you bent one or both of your forks, you would not be happy just because our $200 spindle did not bend. We have had a very small percentage of riders bend spindles. This will inevitably happen more often in low snow conditions as we have seen in many places this year.

Posted by Dave @ Timbersled

Premium Features