• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinion on converting a 2000 cr500?

J
Nov 27, 2011
I have a honda cr 500 that is very very fast. I would love to make it a snow bike. how much would I be looking at $. Would timbersled be my best option?

P
Dec 8, 2009
Timbersled is the best option if riding in the mountains, powder etc..anything off trail. If riding on trails the 2moto works better for trail.
The 500cc 2 stroke has the power. but is more sensitive to jetting. when you get snow on your air filter it will start running rich etc.
but if the 500 is your only option then it still be fun.
but 450 motocross bikes are the best option, you can always up grade later, kits are the same just need different fit kit.

L
Jun 26, 2008
2-stroke

i ran a Timbersled kit on my 07 CR250 for a day and it worked awesome, as fast as a buddies 08 CRF450, but the snow wasnt super deep, and i had problems with carb icing. as the main would freeze it would lean the bike out. i think a 500 would be sweet if you had it jetted properly and maybe ran a carb heater. the 2 strokes seem like they dont have as much heat to keep things from freezing up, but properly set up your 500 seems like a great option.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
500 for sure

from my experience with the kx 500, way more power than a 450... I did run into the carb icing problems but fixed it by welding a 1/4 inch aluminum pipe to bottom of carb body at intake flange then run coolant throught it. i also made a plastic case to surrround the carb to help keep the snow off it then worked good.. jetting was my last issue but after reading about the power jet kit that will be an easy fix also... I think the vibration is the worst part about the big 2 strokes. If you like the bike you have get the kit and rock out. you will love the 1 ski!

Premium Features